So tell me what you dislike about Rap / Hip Hop

Comments

• mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Krs-One is one of the greatest rappers ever but i always hated the song 'sound of da police'.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rei wrote: »
    So you are judging the whole genre on one lyric you happen to have heard?
    How ridiculous. That's like if I said apples were disgusting because I bit into a mouldy one once.

I suggest you take your own advice and educate yourself.
    Listen to 'Keep ya head up' or'Dear Mama' by 2pac, or 'American Terrorist' by Lupe Fiasco. (The first two are more meaningful on an emotional level, the Lupe Fiasco one is more of a social commentary).
    That was just an example, all rap is crap.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the figures don't lie. Over 70% of people on here think it's rubbish so I'd say that's a fair conclusion to the op's question.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Rei wrote: »
    So you are judging the whole genre on one lyric you happen to have heard?
    How ridiculous. That's like if I said apples were disgusting because I bit into a mouldy one once.

I suggest you take your own advice and educate yourself.
    Listen to 'Keep ya head up' or'Dear Mama' by 2pac, or 'American Terrorist' by Lupe Fiasco. (The first two are more meaningful on an emotional level, the Lupe Fiasco one is more of a social commentary).

Ah, but the OP suggested that I listen to a track by that artist and held him up as a compelling example of the sheer talent of rap artists. You can only imagine my disappointment. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I won't be listening to any other rap artists because they are all complete and utter shite and I would rather drink from the toilet than inflict any more of that talentless drivel on my music-loving eardrums.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Well the figures don't lie. Over 70% of people on here think it's rubbish so I'd say that's a fair conclusion to the op's question.

Not really. Everybody is well aware hip hop isn't liked on this forum anyway, and the demographics of DS's posters don't match with those of the public as a whole.

For example, what if most hip hop fans have a life and go out partying and socializing in their spare time, rather than posting on Internet forums like we do?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

98 people are not representative of any kind of majority i'm afraid. This is a forum that thinks various different genres of music are "real" music at the expense of other various genres.

As a fan of all music, I fully accept that different people like different things though - that's what makes music so amazing. I will always reserve the right to tease people who claim "their" genre of music is better than another one though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Hip-Hop and many other genres of music for that matter. As with most music, the stuff they play on the radio is often the worst but sadly what people judge it from!

Best Hip-Hop album of 2012 = Good Kid, M.A.A.D City by Kendrick Lamar
    Best Hip-Hop song of all time = I Gave You Power by Nas

Listen to that album or song and you will see why Hip-Hop is possibly the most intelligent genre from a lyrical perspective. No other genre has imagery like that.
  • 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats figures on a forum, not record sales.

I wonder how much of the record sales Hiphop dominates though.

I heard in the 90's it was the bigest selling genre? Dunno if thats true today?
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard in the 90's it was the bigest selling genre? Dunno if thats true today?

It's not.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    That was just an example, all rap is crap.

Oh dear. Its like that, is it? That really furthers the debate intelligently
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Not really. Everybody is well aware hip hop isn't liked on this forum anyway, and the demographics of DS's posters don't match with those of the public as a whole.

For example, what if most hip hop fans have a life and go out partying and socializing in their spare time, rather than posting on Internet forums like we do?

Thats better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Wow some people won't even take the time to listen to any suggested artists let alone let it affect their view on the genre. You're going to be in for the shock of your lives when/if u have kids and u don't know your "Commons" from your "Chief Keef's" because like it or lump it it's still a new genre compared to others and is only going to get bigger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Fire wrote: »
    Wow some people won't even take the time to listen to any suggested artists let alone let it affect their view on the genre. You're going to be in for the shock of your lives when/if u have kids and u don't know your "Commons" from your "Chief Keef's" because like it or lump it it's still a new genre compared to others and is only going to get bigger.

You can't really blame people though. People from all ages and walks of life find a genre they like and they entrench themselves in it to the detriment of everything else. Other music becomes "fake" or "crap" because their genre is "real".

And that's fine - whatever music you like is obviously good music. I personally can't do that - I have to try all genres and styles :)
    Forum Member
    You can't really blame people though. People from all ages and walks of life find a genre they like and they entrench themselves in it to the detriment of everything else. Other music becomes "fake" or "crap" because their genre is "real".

And that's fine - whatever music you like is obviously good music. I personally can't do that - I have to try all genres and styles :)

That completely baffles me though. I'm only 20 and I've already learned not to write off genres as "crap" because I hear the most popular songs from that genre on the radio and catch a few lyrics. It really does annoy me when people do that about hip hop. Even more so because rappers on the whole are considered ignorant when it's others that choose to IGNORE the genre, it's roots and it's more conscious rappers. But each to their own I suppose :)
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Fire wrote: »
    That completely baffles me though. I'm only 20 and I've already learned not to write off genres as "crap" because I hear the most popular songs from that genre on the radio and catch a few lyrics. It really does annoy me when people do that about hip hop. Even more so because rappers on the whole are considered ignorant when it's others that choose to IGNORE the genre, it's roots and it's more conscious rappers. But each to their own I suppose :)
    The lyrics are unimportant, it's the sound of it which is awful, with the same background beat, it's an assault on the eardrums, that's true of some other contempary types of music though, I like to hear instruments being played, not electropop.
    Forum Member
    Then listen to music without lyrics. It gets boring. The obvious alternative is to add lyrics. It's the evolution of music. Then u start to appreciate how creative beats actually are (hip hop/pop/electro basically all modern day music). U can hear what type of instrument every sound comes from pretty much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, i'm going to put this out there - one of my favourite songs and also up there as one of my favourite videos ever.

"What They Do" by The Roots

Make sure to read the captions ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oxg_the-roots-what-they-do_news#.UQB2jSd0mSo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I agree with the majority of views.. Hip Hop/ Rap is at an all time low at the minute, the lyrics have become SO cliche and ridiculous (FULLY blame Lil Wayne). His verse in 'The Motto' is VILE. He's awful. 90's was the best era for Hip Hop imo..
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    I agree with the majority of views.. Hip Hop/ Rap is at an all time low at the minute, the lyrics have become SO cliche and ridiculous (FULLY blame Lil Wayne). His verse in 'The Motto' is VILE. He's awful. 90's was the best era for Hip Hop imo..

Whilst I see where you're coming from, most great Hip Hop singles do no chart and do not get mainstream airplay and never have done.

Many people who claim that current Hip Hop is poor are unaware of a huge swathe of it. I'd guess a lot of people who post on here don't hear much music unless it isn't on constant rotation on daytime radio / MTV type channels.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    The lyrics are unimportant, it's the sound of it which is awful, with the same background beat, it's an assault on the eardrums, that's true of some other contempary types of music though, I like to hear instruments being played, not electropop.

I hate a lot of the current mainstream electropop, because it's so generic and it all sounds the same.

But I have nothing against synths. Yes, it's true that most hip hop songs at the moment use a lot of synths, but it's not always bad. It's the way the synths are used, not the synths themselves. In mainstream, I'd say the hip hop songs definitely make better and more creative use of synths than the dance-pop songs do.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Hip-Hop and many other genres of music for that matter. As with most music, the stuff they play on the radio is often the worst but sadly what people judge it from!

Best Hip-Hop album of 2012 = Good Kid, M.A.A.D City by Kendrick Lamar
    Best Hip-Hop song of all time = I Gave You Power by Nas

Listen to that album or song and you will see why Hip-Hop is possibly the most intelligent genre from a lyrical perspective. No other genre has imagery like that.

Defenders of the genre always go on about the 'poetry' of the lyrics...I assume to cover up the lack of song and melody (which, if present at all, is nearly always sampled from an old pop or soul tune). Sorry but if I want poetry i'll read it in a book. I treasure music and the genius of song writing. You don't look to rap and hip hop for that.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defenders of the genre always go on about the 'poetry' of the lyrics...I assume to cover up the lack of song and melody (which, if present at all, is nearly always sampled from an old pop or soul tune). Sorry but if I want poetry i'll read it in a book. I treasure music and the genius of song writing. You don't look to rap and hip hop for that.

sampling is innovative it keeps the old music relevant to a new generation and pays homage to it. To take a little piece of music from some old song decades ago and turn it into somthing new and funky and make it more than something it was originally intended to be...and sometimes gives the original artist another career.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Rap Music from the early nineties as it was closer to it's roots and it carried a voice conscience with examples of work from Dr Dre and his album The Chronic.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that modern day Rap/Hip Hop has become too commercial and overinflated by 'bling' culture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I hate it when people lump in rap and hip hop together as if they are the same thing.
    For example beck and 50 cent are both rappers and are both very different.
    Rapping is just an alternative to singing, not a genre and it can be more effective in certain music and songs to evoke emotion in an better way.
    One of my favourite bands right now are a heavy metal/ nu-metal band who rap and i love them