Most Memorable / Best Episodes Of Jon Pertwee

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
Hi

I created this thread to ask other fans what is there most memorable / best episode / story of the Jon Pertwee era.

comment below :)

Comments

• November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    tardiscake wrote: »
    Hi

I created this thread to ask other fans what is there most memorable / best episode / story of the patrick troughton era.

You mean The Pertwee era. ;)

My vote goes to Inferno. Brilliant, truly chilling story.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terror of the Autons, Inferno and The Time Warrior.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall not my favourite era of Doctor Who, but...

Season 7 rocks! :cool:

Inferno and The Silurians are seriously wonderful and I'm very fond of 'Ambassadors..' and 'Spearhead..'. too. The first two in particular are right up there with the best in the 50 years of 'Who' for me. (Sorry. Repeat. 50 Years of Who. Love writing that. :D)

Gets a bit hit and miss for me after that but adore 'Curse of Peladon', 'Carnival of Monsters', 'The Daemons' , 'The Green Death' and 'The Time Warrior'.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet Of The Daleks. It was the very first Doctor Who episode I saw, but the whole of his 1st Series as the Doctor was brilliant as well. Along with Carnival of Monsters, The Daemons, and The Green Death.

His era is my favourite in the shows history.
  • Brian2005Brian2005 Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    This era Dr I have watched the least I need to watch more of his, I dunno why but the other 2 before him I have watched more
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm currently watching the Pertwee era and have reached the Frontier in Space. So far, I can't say it's my favourite era of Doctor Who. Don't get me wrong, most of the episodes are good and the quality of the stories is very consistent, but I'm not very fond of the long 6 or 7 part stories and there's something about Jon Pertwee that makes him my least favourite Doctor. This of course is all relative because in fact he's really good, but he just seems to be too serious sometimes and he doesn't seem to be as quirky as most of the other Doctors I've seen.
    Anyway, ignoring their padding and length The Silurians and Inferno are pretty damn good and I have quite a soft spot for The Claws of Axos for some reason.
    The rest of the stories are all pretty solid, but none of them for me stand out.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Green Death
    The Daemons
    Inferno

Many more. One of my favorite eras ever of Doctor Who.
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tardiscake wrote: »
    Hi

I created this thread to ask other fans what is there most memorable / best episode / story of the Jon Pertwee era.

I think Inferno and The Daemons are both very special, in different ways. Both have a very distinctive tone and style that make them stand out. I love the dramatic tension in Inferno and of course, at least for a parallel earth, it has the most tragic ending of any dr who story.The Daemons is a brilliant "monster romp" and it is also very humorous in places and I adore damaris hayman and nicholas courtney's performances in this. And of course the finest actor to play the dr!
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    Spearhead From Space
    Inferno
    The Daemons
    Curse of Peladon
    The Sea Devils
    The Three Doctors
    Frontier In Space
    The Green Death
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Spearhead from Space. Absolutely wonderful, one of my favourite DW stories. Bonus points for it featuring Liz Shaw and the Brig, too. :)
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say I love the background music from the early Pertwee era, especially the 1970 stories? Let's hear it for the composer Dudley Simpson, still with us aged 90. I particularly love the music that accompanies the UNIT action scenes. Tuneful, lively, a touch of jazz and with a touch of Austin Powers too! Psychedelic, baby! Most notable I think in Spearhead and Ambassadors.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen all the stories from Pertwee's first three series, though I've seen some. Of those Pertwee stories I've seen, Carnival of Monsters and The Time Warrior are the standouts, with an honourable mention for Curse of Peladon.
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I love the Pertwee era, consistently good run of stories.
    When I bought The Ambassadors of Death DVD, I'd never seen it before, and I thought that 7 episodes was a bit long, so said i'll watch 2 or 3. I ended up watching the whole lot in one go. Really good gripping story.
    Frontier in Space is another favorite. I always liked the Ogrons and the Draconians, as well as sadly being Roger Delgado's final appearance as The Master. Good story.
    Sometimes I feel the longer, slower paced stories are often the best, and that for me really works in the Pertwee era.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just waiting for the green death se to come out then I will watch all his stories in transmission order and in colour! My favourites are inferno,the daemons,the sea devils,carnival off monsters. Can't wait.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think The Three Doctors and Planet Of The Spiders are my two favourite Pertwee stories. Always enjoying watching them as they both involve different settings as well as Earth.

:)
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carnival Of Monsters

That's about it. Not a fan of this era. Too Earthbound.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from the Hinchcliffe years my favourie era of Doctor Who.

Favourite stories.

Spearhead from Space
    The Daemons
    The Three Doctors
    The Time Warrior
    Inferno
    Carnival of Monsters
    The Sea Devils

But just about everything (except The Mutants) has something going for it.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I adore the Pertwee era, especially Series 7. Inferno is my second favourite story of the classic series (edged out by The War Games).

My other favourites include:

Spearhead from Space
    The Silurians
    Terror of the Autons
    Day of the Daleks
    The Green Death
    The Time Warrior
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a particular fan of this period but

Inferno
    Spearhead From Space
    Carnival Of Monsters
    The Time Warrior

are all strong stories, not keen on many of the others.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I wasn't a fan of this particular era either, nevertheless, I watched them all in my youth! (No TARDIS being the main reason, for most of it anyway)
    Having said that, I loved:-
    THE DAEMONS: Nice spooky village in the middle of nowhere.
    INFERNO: For a long episodic story....it didn't drag at all.
    CARNIVAL OF MONSTERS: Fun, fun, fun. Great mix of characters.
    THE THREE DOCTORS: Another fun romp for the 10th anniversary.
    THE TIME WARRIOR: Sarah-Jane's' first appearance, the first time the Doctor has ventured into Earth's past, and the intro of the Sontarans! (and Dot Cotton!)
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day of the Daleks
    The Deamons
    Terror of the autons
    Sea Devils.
    Inferno

Sorry, I cant get it down to less than 5.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Invasion of the Dinosaurs for the first time and even though it's a 6-parter I actually really enjoyed it. Yes, to describe the dinosaurs as unconvincing would be the understatement of the century (although, I'm convinced the tied up tyrannosaurus in the hanger was better made and more convincing that the sleeping tyrannosaurus in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship), but I found it really engaging and liked that they were daring enough to make Yates a traitor.
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Green Death
    The Daemons
    Inferno

Many more. One of my favorite eras ever of Doctor Who.

100% agree with you, this is for me when the show broke the mould and started to move into tea time horror territory (autons, end of the world, giant insects).
    There's a real sense of the Pertwee era having fun but everyone acting with conviction at the same time.
    First instance of proving an ensemble cast can work for the show that we've come back to appreciate in the revived series.

Plus Nic Courtney, Katy Manning, Roger Delgado and Lis Sladen - we're so lucky to have had these talented people working on our crazy, mad little show. No wonder it's lasted forever.
  • DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    For me, the Pertwee era has memorable 'moments' rather than memorable complete episodes. Don't get me wrong, JP was my favourite Who, and overall, I think his stories were consistently good. It's just that certain scenes rather than certain complete serials, jump out in my memory.
    Just to reminisce for a moment, I count myself very lucky to have briefly met Jon, shaken his hand, muttered a few words and had a couple of photos taken with him, on St Patrick's Day 1994 in St Albans, after one of the dates on his one-man stage tour. I remember giving my camera to my friend, and nervously approaching him and asking "would you mind, Mr Pertwee, if I could have my photo taken with you?" - "Do I Mind? - Look here, It's late, and I want to get off home!", he retorted, sort of "in character", but he obliged. God Rest You, Jon.