Options

Shooting in Woolwich, London

Comments

• Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Wow what an incredible woman, nice to hear that there are still so many decent people around.

She was very, very brave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »

It really isn't. Drunken, racist thugs on the street aren't making a stand, they are making a nuisance of themselves.

And that is putting it rather politely. I also wonder if they know exactly what is is they are making a stand against? Or are they just really angry individuals wanting something to rage against? I imagine if you wanted to have a serious debate about Islam all you would get it 'I'm angry, I'm scared, I don't know what at but this bloke told me its the fault of the Muslims so i am going to march to Woolwich and take a stand. No, I don't know what the stand is for. I'm just really angry'
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What stand is it that the EDL are taking - what message is it that they're conveying - other than the obvious "hey we're a bunch of bigoted drunken f*ckwits"
    They have warned for years of the danger of jihadists in the UK for years and people have chosen to ignore this.

This type of incident will happen again and again.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Um, how exactly?? sorry I am a bit confused by what point it is you are trying to make

Because you were calling the edl scum, when, to all intents and purposes, this could just be a group of british people (not necessarily all edl) gathering, and showing their digust in the aftermath of what occured earlier.

I am not an edl supporter, and do not agree with their extreme views, but I can understand why they might feel the need to do something.

The people that murdered and mutilated that solider, they are scum. Some of the edl may be scum, not necessarily all, just like all muslims are not like the muslims that did what they did today.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    But then how do you define 'terrorism'? These killers' actions were clearly premeditated and carefully planned - they intended to kill a British soldier in the name of their 'God', and whether they acted alone or not they aren't the first to commit murder giving those reasons. I'm not saying knee-jerk things about religion like some will but I can understand why people are angry at certain groups, no matter how much some people like to look down on them for being less 'intelligent'
    BIB....I would have said opportunist more than premeditated and most definitely not 'carefully planned'.

The murdered youth who was not in uniform (as has been 'the norm' now for some years with off duty soldiers), but just happened to be wearing a 'Help for Heroes' t-shirt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Oh dear, some of the comments are rather disgraceful.

I can't see them as i'm not a member.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    The West have carved up and divided the Middle East for centuries, in our own best interests. They have happily armed dictators, who are the only people able to control the disparate tribes. The best and only concern to the west was that generally these dictators were, on the whole benign. We reap what we sow. My late husband said that on the night Iraq was invaded. He knew, he was in the British military for 37 years as an officer. He was appalled at the invasion.
    Sorry but really rather simplistic, and incorrect. The Ottoman Empire only fell in 1918, Britain & France were only colonial powers in the Middle East in the years between the World Wars. Yes they certainly have interfered to a greater or lesser extent after this, but I don't think you can say the Middle East would have been more peaceful if we hadn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    Ill save you the bother

MUSLIMS WON'T STOP TILL WERE ALL MUSLIMS!!!

That will never happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/BenQuinn75/status/337319657579085824/photo/1

Ben Quinn ‏@BenQuinn75
    Balaclavas with EDL logos. At least 100now,filled out with young men. Police blocking route to crime scene

https://twitter.com/NicoHines/status/337320330840399872/photo/1
    Nico Hines ‏@NicoHines
    At least 100 people now chanting Rule Britannia in Woolwich's main square
    (Times reporter)
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rampent wrote: »
    Just looking at BBC news - that chav eye witness reckons the cops just shot them!! The pair of dicks hung around and just walked to the Police!! And they shot them!!

Charming :(
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the page, until you see who the page owner also 'likes'.

Glad you pointed that out, it's the sort of thing I would have "liked" without realising :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    That is quite a statement to make, where is the evidence for this?

Darshna Soni ‏@darshnasoni 45m

Secretary of mosque in Essex tells me lone white man with two knives tried to attack congregation, saying "Where is your Allah now." #c4news

Brooks Newmark MP ‏@TweetBrooks 1h

Just met with leaders of local mosque in Braintree which was attacked this evening. Thanked local police for their swift response.

Majid Freeman ‏@Majstar7 1h

A male ran into Gillingham Mosque in #KENT & smashed the book case & windows. Got caught by police @diarf9 #woolwich pic.twitter.com/pdVdf2MzLt
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    They have warned for years of the danger of jihadists in the UK for years and people have chosen to ignore this.

It may well, but one thing is for damn sure - anything the EDL do or say will have no bearing on whether it does or does not.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    it would help if this person provided proof with a screenshot
    If it was meant to be on Twitter, there's a @deletedbyMPs account that automatically collects tweets deleted by MPs (obviously!) and it's not there.
  • Options
    DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDL what a joke they are

Two men kill another man

EDL arrive on the scene drunk and start picking fights with innocent strangers and the police
  • Options
    jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what i find bizarre is why did it take 20mins for the police to come...

and after they killed that poor man, people just walking past casually, and they do nothing...imagine if they attacked more people during that time whilst police were coming..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Christ, here we go...

Christ?????
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    The west has been meddling in the ME for years. We're not about to stop anytime soon, not whilst there is profit to be had...

We meddled, divided, and armed the dictators. The west will continue to do so, there is too much at stake.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I can't see them as i'm not a member.

Well think of some of the more crass comments on this thread....and then double them.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I grew up in the military during a time when we had to check under our cars every day for IRA bombs. My dad, brother and husband all served in the Forces. Three of my friends were killed when their Hercules was shot down over Afghanistan.

I have a hatred of terrorists too. Anyone who is normal does.

I was in the TA at around the same time and remember checking my car regularly. Also around the time of the bombing of the Royal Marines School of Music in Deal, Kent when 11 musicians were blown to bits.

I remember the high fences going up around all the army bases just after that.
  • Options
    gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »

And you know this how?
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Rip my thoughts are with the soldiers family:(

Both sides who are foaming at the mouth here need to wind their necks in. Yes some of the posts here are inflammatory. But so are those who proclaim to be the voice of reason are just as guilty. Those who are calling the EDl opportunistic scum for capitalising on someone's murder, then use this tragedy to bash the edl, Pot calling kettle black ?

Well said Alan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    Ill save you the bother

MUSLIMS WON'T STOP TILL WERE ALL MUSLIMS!!!

I should have known.

I have quite a few American friends. every time I mention fox new they hang their heads in shame and have the same reaction I did when trying to explain eurovision
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Sorry but really rather simplistic, and incorrect. The Ottoman Empire only fell in 1918, Britain & France were only colonial powers in the Middle East in the years between the World Wars. Yes they certainly have interfered to a greater or lesser extent after this, but I don't think you can say the Middle East would have been more peaceful if we hadn't.

No, it wouldn't have, but we could've let them slug it out between themselves without us getting involved.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Untrue. It may seem that way because most big news items are "bad news". BB is trivial harmless entertainment. This is real life.
    My main interest is the "media studies" aspect, like the BBC not showing the video of the terrorist until about an hour after the other channels.

Hey BB addict, I have to say I know that I will always find you on a breaking news thread posting links to various information sources. I just want to say thanks for doing that, it greatly enhances my knowledge of what is going on at any given point. Opinions are all well and good, but when news is breaking the 'facts' can change quickly and without being kept in the loop we can find our discussions become irrelevant before we know it.

Keep up the good work and ignore the people who seem incapable of just ignoring a post they aren't interested in:)
This discussion has been closed.