Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 17)

Comments

• promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Still I don't know why like other companies someone like Everton. Or Man Utd don't buy them and just close it down.:cool:

Everton haven't got the proverbial pot to p*ss in though ;)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Several sites (Guardian, Talksport, Mirror etc.) linking us to 22 year old Benfica left-back Lorenzo Melgarejo with a season long deal in mind, with an option to buy.

Apparently he's quick and has been likened to Fabio Coentrao because of his attacking ability, but has also received criticism for his lack of defensive ability. He started out as a winger but has been "converted" at Benfica.

A nice bit of info on him here in The Mirror.

This guy is only a full back in the way our Lord Gareth Bale of Heartshape once was. The guy is a rocket with a shot. Quite why Jesus Jorge decided he was a defender is only something he can tell us.

With Assaidi off I think this fella is effectively his replacement who can fill in for Enrique in an emergency.
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,380
    Forum Member
    Still I don't know why like other companies someone like Everton. Or Man Utd don't buy them and just close it down.:cool:
    Everton could afford to buy Liverpool and close it down :)

A bit like other companies who buy others out,:cool:

Liverpool only worth 350 Million.:eek:

That would contravene Premier League and UEFA rules over dual ownership of clubs in the same league.
    The dual ownership of football clubs is prohibited both under the rules of the Football Association Premier League and under the rules of the European Governing Body of football – UEFA.

Anyway Everton should think about paying the rent they still owe us. 120 years compound interest should add up to a fair bit of money. :D
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ1QPErkD2g

Everton showing what a big club they are. ;)

Look at the huge crowds!
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Anybody seen this:

Look at the huge crowds!

They're living up to being 'The People's Club' I see!
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure he wasn't just looking for a house for himself? :o

He could of been that's why I said I wouldn't look to far into it,
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Anybody seen this:

Look at the huge crowds!

That made me laugh. Who was that tall twonk who came in to the main hall giving it the big rock star hand in the air gesture? Looked an utter pillock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear God you'd nearly pity them! Had to laugh at Tim Howards (I think) raised arm.

LFC kids are talking part in this years Milk Cup which is a regular tournament in Northern Ireland.
    Two sections - Junior and Senior but they are all very young - U16 (who won 2-0) and U17 (who lost 3-2). They play twice more this week. The highlights of each days play is supposed to be on the red button channel (Freesat 981) but it was just F1 tonight.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Been a good servant to the Club Reina has, seems a real decent guy as well, the Club by the sounds of it could have handled Reina's move abit better but apart from that the decision to move him on was the right one.

Riena's been flirting with Barca, and so Rodgers and the board had to cover ourselves by bringing in Mignolet who last season was probably one of the best keepers in the league so over all the Club have done a fantastic job in securing Mignolets services! and keeping liverpool safe on the keeping front, He's been looking real good on pre season too.

Unfortunately for Reina Barca haven't showed the interest in him he expected, and Liverpool could'nt afford to have 2 first team Keepers amongst the Ranks.

I'm surprised we Loaned him though, but on a plus being Reuinited with Benitez at Napoli and having a fresh new environment, I feel Reina could hit top form again so come the end of next season his stock could very well improve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the rumour mill can be trusted (!) Liverpool will sign two players this week - Greek defender bloke with long name and winger Lorenzo Melgarejo. A suggestion of a third floating about some Portuguese fella from Olympiakos but looks tenuous to me.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Been a good servant to the Club Reina has, seems a real decent guy as well, the Club by the sounds of it could have handled Reina's move abit better but apart from that the decision to move him on was the right one.

Riena's been flirting with Barca, and so Rodgers and the board had to cover ourselves by bringing in Mignolet who last season was probably one of the best keepers in the league so over all the Club have done a fantastic job in securing Mignolets services! and keeping liverpool safe on the keeping front, He's been looking real good on pre season too.

Unfortunately for Reina Barca haven't showed the interest in him he expected, and Liverpool could'nt afford to have 2 first team Keepers amongst the Ranks.

I'm surprised we Loaned him though, but on a plus being Reuinited with Benitez at Napoli and having a fresh new environment, I feel Reina could hit top form again so come the end of next season his stock could very well improve.

But he wasnt flirting with Barca at no point did he say he was going to them. This wasnt Reina IMO it was his agent and as Ive posted before he cocked up and lost Reina his place at LFC

in his statement he was prepared to stay with us and fight for his place he even mentioned that he wanted to dicuss a contract exstension
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    But he wasnt flirting with Barca at no point did he say he was going to them. This wasnt Reina IMO it was his agent and as Ive posted before he cocked up and lost Reina his place at LFC

in his statement he was prepared to stay with us and fight for his place he even mentioned that he wanted to dicuss a contract exstension

Agree. Someone intimated to the club that an offer was on its way from Barca and so we took action to prevent another situation where we're left short. If that someone was Pepe's agent then that's where his disappointment should be directed.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member

He has been flirting with the idea imo, I think he would have been happy to stay here if nothing came of it though, and nothing did, but unfortunately Liverpool had to look after the clubs interest and bring in a top Keeper in case that move came about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a vital lesson in there for both players and agents, do not drop half bricks of info to a club, or they may find the other half and drop the whole thing on you. Agents especially are well overdue for some sharp lessons, they are too good at looking after their own interests to the jeopardy of their clients.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    He has been flirting with the idea imo, I think he would have been happy to stay here if nothing came of it though, and nothing did, but unfortunately Liverpool had to look after the clubs interest and bring in a top Keeper in case that move came about.

Yeah maybe

But again it's greedy agents

To many players at all the top clubs get there heads turned by agents..I think Reina would have been happy to stay..but once the roumour was out your correct the club had to react..These agents need to held responsable sometimes
  • angel44angel44 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... he cocked up and lost Reina his place at LFC

Agents everywhere should take note then. Going public on behalf of your player may trigger interest from potential purchasers.....

.....it may also trigger an act of expediency and pragmatism from that player's existing club.

A good agent will be well attuned, not just to his own player's mid-term and long-term ambitions....but to the mid-term and long-term ambitions of all concerned.

Players and agents would do well to start re-appraising LFC if they are using the club for nought else but a profile boost to players with [as yet] unrealised ambitions.

I think Pepe is a genuine guy, but I don't think anybody in his camp has really given his situation due diligence when it comes to where LFC are currently at and that which they are seeking to try and purge when it comes the club being utterly shafted in the transfer windows.

The majority of LFC fans hold Pepe in fond regard.

It's unfortunate that the timing of his egress has occurred when the club is being super-attentive to who goes and who stays....and appears not to be taking any prisoners.

Apart from Suarez perhaps !!

Who may just end up being a prisoner at Anfield until somebody, somewhere stops smoking ganja and makes a persuasive offer which is somewhere in the region of what he is truly worth.... despicable, dysfunctional personality or no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    There's a vital lesson in there for both players and agents, do not drop half bricks of info to a club, or they may find the other half and drop the whole thing on you. Agents especially are well overdue for some sharp lessons, they are too good at looking after their own interests to the jeopardy of their clients.

Top post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what does the Bale story do for the Suarez situation?

Have we unvalued him at £50m+ if Bale has been valued at 85m as claimed. :eek: :D

Will Madrid splash out on both Bale and Suarez or does this effectively mean they will end their summer spree with Bale?

At least, if we are to do any business we might have a chance to get it done relatively quietly while everybody is drooling over White Hart Lane.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    So what does the Bale story do for the Suarez situation?

Have we unvalued him at £50m+ if Bale has been valued at 85m as claimed. :eek: :D

Will Madrid splash out on both Bale and Suarez or does this effectively mean they will end their summer spree with Bale?

At least, if we are to do any business we might have a chance to get it done relatively quietly while everybody is drooling over White Hart Lane.

Was it ever verified that Madrid actually wanted Suarez?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Was it ever verified that Madrid actually wanted Suarez?

Nope just like Reina with Barca
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Nope just like Reina with Barca

yeah it was more like Suarez was putting out the right words hoping real would make an offer.

Considering they just bidded £85m for Bale they wouldnt dare come with an offer for Suraez.

Honestly unless it was £60m+, FSG should laugh it out of the building.

Hell I wouldnt accept £50m from arsenal when Bale is going for £85m.
  • Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think £85 million for Bale is WAY over the top.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool striker Luis Suarez will not be sold for less than £50 million after the Uruguayan accepted he does not have a £40 million release clause in his contract.

Arsenal believed they had triggered a clause last week by bidding £40,000,001 but were swiftly informed that the only significance of that figure was that the player was required to be informed of the offer.

Suarez had been tipped to challenge Liverpool's stance with the Premier League but the forward, who was his club's top scorer last season, has sought no action.

That leaves Arsenal needing to stump up Liverpool's asking price of £50 million if they are to prise Suarez away from Anfield.

The Telegraph quotes a senior Liverpool source saying: "We've all examined the clause in detail. All it obliges is for us to enter good faith negotiations about Luis's future. "There is absolutely no obligation to sell and that is very clear."

It is believed the Reds have considered seeking clarification from Arsenal about why they entered the £40,000,001 bid - as the contract information was confidential and it is against Premier League regulations for rival clubs to access it - but have opted not to pursue the matter.

Real Madrid have also shown an interest in Suarez but Gareth Bale remains their No. 1 target and the Uruguayan would only return to their radar if they fail to land him.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/226317.html#soA0dS5paquM1dEU.99

£50m then - something tells me Arsenal won't be back.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually feel a little bit sorry for Arsenal in all this. OK they probably were a bit naughty with the extra £1, acting on information they shouldn't have been privy to, but apart from that they haven't really done anything wrong. They must have thought this was their chance to put right all the things their fans have criticised them about over the last few seasons. They could show they have the finances to mix it with the big boys, bring in a top player rather than being a selling club, and prize away a key asset from a potential rival team this season. Instead they are left looking a bit silly and without the player they clearly really wanted.

Now the best scenario for us is for RM to declare their interest in Bale officially but to enter protracted negotiations with Spurs taking at least 3 weeks, leaving Spurs little time to do anything with the money. Meanwhile Suarez needs to settle down and declare he is content to stay with us for at least one more season to help us qualify for the CL, and then maybe make the move to RM next summer if they are interested. We could well end up keeping our key striker while Spurs lose their best player and Arsenal do little to strengthen.

Worst case is Spurs get something ridiculous for Bale and come looking for Suarez. Question is would he take a move to a non-CL team? Something tells me he would. In any case the price to a cash-rich Spurs in need of a new player would have to be even higher than the £50m we were holding out for from Arsenal. I actually hope we would just flat refuse to consider selling him as Spurs without Bale or a replacement would be less likely to challenge for 4th.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Liverpool striker Luis Suarez will not be sold for less than £50 million after the Uruguayan accepted he does not have a £40 million release clause in his contract.

Arsenal believed they had triggered a clause last week by bidding £40,000,001 but were swiftly informed that the only significance of that figure was that the player was required to be informed of the offer.

Suarez had been tipped to challenge Liverpool's stance with the Premier League but the forward, who was his club's top scorer last season, has sought no action.

That leaves Arsenal needing to stump up Liverpool's asking price of £50 million if they are to prise Suarez away from Anfield.

The Telegraph quotes a senior Liverpool source saying: "We've all examined the clause in detail. All it obliges is for us to enter good faith negotiations about Luis's future. "There is absolutely no obligation to sell and that is very clear."

It is believed the Reds have considered seeking clarification from Arsenal about why they entered the £40,000,001 bid - as the contract information was confidential and it is against Premier League regulations for rival clubs to access it - but have opted not to pursue the matter.

Real Madrid have also shown an interest in Suarez but Gareth Bale remains their No. 1 target and the Uruguayan would only return to their radar if they fail to land him.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/226317.html#soA0dS5paquM1dEU.99

£50m then - something tells me Arsenal won't be back.

That Clause was being talked about in the papers weeks before Arsenal made their bid. It was mentioned in this Guardian article from the end of May. So, once again, the answer to a load of nonsense transfer speculation probably lies with an agent rattling their gums off to a journalist. Or maybe in this case it might have been Luis himself. Anyway, all Arsenal would have to say is they read the papers everyday.

So a bid of £50m +£1 coming soon? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.