Options

R.I.P Dawn Barry CDWM

Comments

• Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    This is so sad, her poor family :( If only she'd realised what caring friends she had - some lovely tributes there. Alcoholism is a terrible illness, one that has blighted my own family and sadly there is nothing anyone can do to help. Hope her family can find peace.

Sometimes I think when someone reaches the point of utter despair, no way out etc. they are unable to see the care & support that surrounds them imo.
    I don't know why as I obviously didn't know Dawn but this news has made me feel quite sad:(
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Right, so a funny, bubbly lady gets pissed a couple of times during a week of nights out and now all the amateur psychologists, who clearly realised that she was alcoholic with mental health problems and just watched in stony faced distain, say we shouldn't have laughed......?

Only on Digital Spy :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I'm heartbroken. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right, so a funny, bubbly lady gets pissed a couple of times during a week of nights out and now all the amateur psychologists, who clearly realised that she was alcoholic with mental health problems and just watched in stony faced distain, say we shouldn't have laughed......?

Laugh at her. She liked people to laugh at her and with her.

Don't feel guilty, Dawn wouldn't want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    From probably one of the best episodes of "come dine with me". She was just 36 :(

38, but we all lie a little, personally I take six years off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    tommytiger wrote: »
    38, but we all lie a little, personally I take six years off.

Ah ok,says 36 in the sun and 38 in the fail.

I personally loved this bunch of people in this CDWM,esp the funny old lady that talked strangely and kind of had her glasses on the end of her nose lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    Ah ok,says 36 in the sun and 38 in the fail.

I personally loved this bunch of people in this CDWM,esp the funny old lady that talked strangely and kind of had her glasses on the end of her nose lol

Taboo, it really is the greatest CDWM, I'm married to an American and showed him all the Preston episodes and he loved it.

"Dawn, Dawn, yer 'air is in the avacadoooo!"

God bless her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taboo, it really is the greatest CDWM, I'm married to an American and showed him all the Preston episodes and he loved it.

"Dawn, Dawn, yer 'air is in the avacadoooo!"

God bless her.

Lol awww :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't say nobody should laugh, however for me I found the whole show pretty sad as she clearly shouldn't have been on it.
    Don't think you need a degree in psychology to realise that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't say nobody should laugh, however for me I found the whole show pretty sad as she clearly shouldn't have been on it.

How about a degree in fun? You obviously lack that.

Dawn went on the show game for a laugh, she made the nation laugh, known as the most famous contestant from Come Dine With Me.

I'll never forget her, that's for sure.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member

totally agree, no amateur psychology needed IMO.
    To go through the process of getting on the show and then get obliterated and go to bed on the night you host, clearly shows a problem to me.

I think my fave ever bit on CDWM was when that slightly eccentric mans cat nicked the salmon and the big black lady (sorry I can't remember their names) was virtually wetting herself about it as the salmon had cats teeth marks in it:D. That is my kind of fun, it was infectious how funny she found it.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P Dawn what a terrible loss for her family and friends. Depression is a terrible thing I and millions of people battle it every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Dawn went on the show game for a laugh, she made the nation laugh, known as the most famous contestant from Come Dine With Me.

If not laughing at a woman who was clearly troubled means I don't qualify for a degree in fun, then I can live with that.

Nothing more to say about it.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was this episode on? Will it be repeated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When was this episode on? Will it be repeated?

Go on youtube - Come Dine With Me Preston

The best laugh you will have in years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    To go through the process of getting on the show and then get obliterated and go to bed on the night you host, clearly shows a problem to me.

Well, that totally bypassed me I'm afraid. I just thought she was nervous about hosting, as she couldn't cook, and wasn't getting along with one on her fellow diners so had a few drinks. Life and soul of the party and all that. Doesn't necessarily make anyone "troubled" or an "alcoholic" in my book.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :cool:
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the woman who only scored 9? The only time anyone ever got a single digit score?
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Well, that totally bypassed me I'm afraid. I just thought she was nervous about hosting, as she couldn't cook, and wasn't getting along with one on her fellow diners so had a few drinks. Life and soul of the party and all that. Doesn't necessarily make anyone "troubled" or an "alcoholic" in my book.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :cool:

Tweacle I'll admit I laughed the first time I saw it but was more in a nervous, this is awkward to watch sort of way. I will hold my hands up and say I enjoy car crash tv but when it has a sad end like this I feel slightly guilty about having done so.

*off topic but I do love your Lionel Blair anecdote btw, made me laugh lots*:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tweacle I'll admit I laughed the first time I saw it but was more in a nervous, this is awkward to watch sort of way. I will hold my hands up and say I enjoy car crash tv but when it has a sad end like this I feel slightly guilty about having done so.

BIB: Don't feel guilty, Dawn liked to make people laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ha! You gotta love a bit of Li :D

But I do understand what you mean. I remember saying how I thought Dawn wanted to be Pamela Anderson when I watched it because of how much she appeared to love herself. I did feel a big twinge of guilt about that today knowing what we know now :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think my fave ever bit on CDWM was when that slightly eccentric mans cat nicked the salmon and the big black lady (sorry I can't remember their names) was virtually wetting herself about it as the salmon had cats teeth marks in it:D. That is my kind of fun, it was infectious how funny she found it.
    Ah yes,the mayor:D
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Dawn, she was a lovely person. As far as I could see, she didn’t have a bad bone in her body.

That episode was hilarious. Bernard throwing a tantrum every five minutes was epic.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I didn't see a 'bubbly' lady, I saw someone who looked confused, unhappy, blitzed by booze and the fact that she went to bed so someone else had to cook her dinner was a real WTF moment.

She didn't make me laugh in any way at all.

Lol.
    If not laughing at a woman who was clearly troubled means I don't qualify for a degree in fun, then I can live with that.

Nothing more to say about it.

Quite. May the poor woman RIP. But for her to be held up as some sort of comedic genius is completely baffling IMHO.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP. Truly the most classic week of come dine with me. Dawn, bless you, you were a real character, much like 4 out of 5! contestants that week. They were all brilliant. Hope she's at rest now. xxxxx

'i hope you like pheassaaaannnnttttt' That was a valerie line I couldn't resist. Sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Huh? This thread was 3 pages earlier:confused: