Options

Do you have cushions on the bed?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Pointless clutter. Ive caught some of the 60 minute make over shows and they seems to have beds covered with them.
    Probably just to make people think they spent more than a fiver on the job!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Also, the narrow quilt that people place over the foot of the bed.....why?

seriously? It's for if the weather gets more than usually cold, making your usual seasonal quilt feel inadequate, or for if your feet get cold.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    USIM wrote: »
    This scene from the BBC series coupling sums up the whole cushion thing (youtube) for me.

Ahh coupling, one of the greatest uk shows ever made :D

As for cushions, i dont have any on the bed. I would like them to make it look pretty but i cant be bothered with the whole taking them off then putting them back on again.

When we got our sofas each one came with two small matching cushions. They looked nice for about a month but then they became all flat and horrible. Now we have about two that kept their shape and the other two look terrible.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Also, the narrow quilt that people place over the foot of the bed.....why?

I think the idea for them came from hotels and I think they were originally used to protect the bed covers from shoes if people were laying on top of the bed or perhaps protection from cases.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    What is the point of having them on your bed in the first place? It just seems comically pointless to keep taking them off and putting them back.

You're right of course!:) Thing is I had 2 large pairs of lined curtains made for bedroom which were very expensive. There was quite a bit of fabric left over and I hate wasting anything so I made loads of cushion covers and they are obviously matching so look quite good.

Every night when I put them on the floor I do think it's a bit pointless though!:D:D
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Gorman did a fantastic piece on it, where because his wife had bed cushions he put a hat on the toilet. His argument was the hat serves more of a purpose as he wears it when sh'tting, calling it a sh'tting hat..
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Dave Gorman did a fantastic piece on it, where because his wife had bed cushions he put a hat on the toilet. His argument was the hat serves more of a purpose as he wears it when sh'tting, calling it a sh'tting hat..

Does it make noises of ponderance, like the one in Harry Potter?
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but right now they are on the floor at the end of the bed waiting for me to fall over them on the way to the loo at 3 am.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Missus bought some and the dogs have taken to using them to build nests during the day.

Then, at night, they all get chucked on the floor and one of the dogs, once again, fashions them into a nest so she can sleep in comfort rather than on the bedroom floor.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay for Shabby Chic :p
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate cushions, I don't even like them on a settee so there's no way I'd have them on a bed. I always end up throwing them onto another chair if I sit on a settee with cushions.

To be totally honest we rarely even make the bed, I don't see the point, we're the only two people who see it and every night it just gets messed up again.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a clutter free room to sleep in. There's a bed, a wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside cabinet with a lamp and little cd player and that's it. No cushions, no cuddly toys, no ornaments, no clutter. I don't even have patterned curtains or quilt covers as I'd find it too busy, nice and plain is how I like the bedroom.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I have neither cushions nor a thin strip of useless whatever it's called across the bottom. I have a simple bed with a sheet, two pillows and a duvet. Who wants to faff around before they can actually get into bed? Not me. I'm not a faithful follower of current fashion fads, they go out of date and then you're lumbered with the resulting detritus.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I hate cushions, I don't even like them on a settee so there's no way I'd have them on a bed. I always end up throwing them onto another chair if I sit on a settee with cushions.

To be totally honest we rarely even make the bed, I don't see the point, we're the only two people who see it and every night it just gets messed up again.

The BIB is an attitude that I can't get my head around. Just because no one else sees it isn't an excuse to be sloppy and rarely tidying the bed is, in my opinion, sloppy. Chances are that no one else, other than your partner, sees your underwear, do you use the same logic as far as your underwear is concerned? My own self respect urges me to shake and straighten the duvet every morning, and if I lived on the continent, it would probably hang out of the bedroom window to air. :D
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Jon O wrote: »
    we have a couple of cushions which must be carefully removed before I get in, why?

I'm not one to ask as I'm the same!:confused::rolleyes:
    Even my daughter has started collecting them in her new place & her fiancé only had an older brother - he just doesn't get it either - neither do my in laws in Turkey where I've also started it - then there's the sofas -:eek:

We've got V pillows too.:rolleyes:

I've got to contain myself if anyone sits on or squashes the cushions.:confused::(
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have three cushions that live at the end of the bed that get used when watching the tv in the bedroom (and the cat leans on them when she sleeps on the bed at night) it stops the pillows getting flattened.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    The BIB is an attitude that I can't get my head around. Just because no one else sees it isn't an excuse to be sloppy and rarely tidying the bed is, in my opinion, sloppy. Chances are that no one else, other than your partner, sees your underwear, do you use the same logic as far as your underwear is concerned? My own self respect urges me to shake and straighten the duvet every morning, and if I lived on the continent, it would probably hang out of the bedroom window to air. :D

What exactly am I meant to be doing to my underwear? Never heard of anyone "making" their underwear. :confused:

Not making a bed isn't the same as not washing the bedclothes. Everything is nice and clean and regularly washed I just don't see the point in wasting my time making everything perfectly smooth and straight when it's just going to get messed up again.