214 in 2014

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2) A tale for the time being- Ruth Ozeki
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    3. Reunion in death by jd robb. Enjoyed as usual. in death series is my kind of light reading.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6. The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain

9/10 - I have enjoyed all of the books I have read by this author and this was no exception. Diane Chamberlain often gets compared to Jodi Picoult but I think she is much better.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Almost 800 pages long and not to be skipped through, it's taken me over three weeks to finish this. Well worth the effort though.

A spur of the moment decision by a mother and son to visit an art museum in New York leads to devastating consequences for 13 year old Theo. His ife is changed forever. Central to the plot is a small painting, The Goldfinch by Carel Fabritius (1622-1654). Examples of Fabritius' work are few and far between, he died at the age of 32 as a result of a huge gunpowder explosion in the city of Delft, which also destroyed his studio, many of his paintings, not to mention a quarter of the city itself.

I thought that the first half of the book, which deals with the visit to the museum and immediate aftermath, was just brilliant and the rest of the book was very good with an unexpected change of place, pace and style towards the end. I don't think that I'd necessarily subscribe to the philosophical musings in the last chapter though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. A Sight for Sore Eyes, by Ruth Rendell. Typical Rendell. The paths of two lonely people cross, with murderous results. 3/5

8. Northern Lights, by Nora Roberts. This author was recommended by a friend and I'd never heard of Nora Roberts, despite her seemingly to have written hundreds of books. Jaded Baltimore cop starts a new job in Alaska and is soon embroiled in a local mystery. Not bad. 3/5

9. The Return of Captain John Emmett, by Elizabeth Speller. This was not entirely what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it. Soldier returns from WWI and, at the request of the sister of a fellow soldier, begins to unravel a chain of deaths. Neatly plotted and some interesting background to court martials of the time. 3.5/5

10. deadkidsongs, by Toby Litt. Four young boys in 1970s Devon run rampant adventures in their 'Gang'. This is a dark and troubled tale, with a nod to Lord of the Flies, and well captures the disturbed cruelty that can develop within groups of children. 4/5
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    3. Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18) Kate Atkinson - Life after Life

A clever book - definitely.
    A confusing book - yes.
    Did I enjoy it ? Up to a point

This has been a slow start to the year for me - much too busy at work!
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6. The Courage Tree - Diane Chamberlain
    7. The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarty
    8. Life After Life - Kate Atkinson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    NinaRibena wrote: »
    6. Tara Road - Maeve Binchy. Another re-read. I'm having a rubbish week in work and needed a book that I could relax with in the evenings and this certainly did the job.

7. Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist - I really enjoyed this. I haven't read it before and I found it easy to get into. Would recommend
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3) Star Trek: The Eugenics wars- The rise and fall of Khan Noonien Singh vol. 1- Greg Cox
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    18) Kate Atkinson - Life after Life

A clever book - definitely.
    A confusing book - yes.
    Did I enjoy it ? Up to a point

This has been a slow start to the year for me - much too busy at work!

A slow year and you're on 18 :o:D

I have downloaded Life after Life, I have enjoyed all of her books but they can be very odd!
    Forum Member
    7. Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist - I really enjoyed this. I haven't read it before and I found it easy to get into. Would recommend

8. Blood Games - Richard Laymon

This is a re-read. Richard Laymon is one of my favourite horror writers and I think this one is a particulaly good one by him. I especially like the flashback scenes which is not something Laymon had done before this and so you get to know the chatacters well.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6. The Confusion of Karen Carpenter by Jonathan Harvey. The skinny American singer's reluctant namesake is a 36 year old special needs teacher. Her partner of 20 years has left her and she doesn't know why, nor where he's gone.

Karen is surrounded by a cast of larger than life personalities in her quest to find out the truth and maybe move on. The tone of the novel is generally upbeat and very funny. However, there's a darker, sad undercurrent to the tale which gradually comes to the surface and which had me in tears by the end.

Not recommended if you're feeling fragile and looking for a light fluffy read, but worth a look if you're feeling strong and have a box of tissues handy!
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Very slow start to this years reading target of 52.

1) Say you're sorry - Michael Robotham 8/10
    Really enjoyed this. First of his that I have read and will definitely look out for his books in the future.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Rise of the Governor - Robert Kirkman/Jay Bonansinga.
    2. The Road to Woodbury - Robert Kirkman/Jay Bonansinga.
    3. The Fall of the Governor: Part 1 - Robert Kirkman/Jay Bonansinga.

I didn't enjoy the second one as much as the other two. I just couldn't take to Lilly.
    Forum Member
    8. Blood Games - Richard Laymon

This is a re-read. Richard Laymon is one of my favourite horror writers and I think this one is a particulaly good one by him. I especially like the flashback scenes which is not something Laymon had done before this and so you get to know the chatacters well.

9. Resurrection Dreams - Richard Laymon

Another re-read. I have bought a few new books online, but until they arrive I will have to read some of my older books. This one by Laymon is very gory - not one of my favourites, but still enjoyable.
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Private LA - James Patterson & Mark Sullivan

2 - Letting Go of Emma - Brooke Powley
    Brooke's 2nd book which she is releasing in a couple of weeks, its as good as her debut book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    A slow year and you're on 18 :o:D

I have downloaded Life after Life, I have enjoyed all of her books but they can be very odd!

I think this time last year I had read about double the number :o

Anyway I genuinely believe in quality rather than quantity so it is what it is !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19) Bridget Jones - Mad about the Boy - Helen Fielding
    20) The Inn at the Top - Neil Hanson
    21) The Girl Who Never Came Back - Amy Cross
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5) You're the one that I don't want by Alexandra Potter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    22) Helen Dunmore - The Greatcoat
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. Twenty eight and a half wishes - Denise Grover Swank

9/10 - a really strange quirky book. I loved the main character Rose, her bofriend with a secret and even the flatulent dog. What spoilt it though was the typing erros and even one continuity error!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'd like to join in if I may. Think I'll aim for 30 books this year so starting from beginning of January:

1) Until you're mine - Samantha Hayes
    2) Hanging Hill - Mo Hayder
    3) It would be wrong to steal my sister's boyfriend - Sophie Ranald
    4) What have I done - Amanda Prowse

5) First term at Malory Towers - Enid Blyton
    6) Lone Wolf - Jodi Picoult
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5) First term at Malory Towers - Enid Blyton

That's really weird as I as thinking about that book yesterday and considering re-reading it as an adult (you can get away with it easier with a Kindle!)
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    4. Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg.

Slightly jumbled and I felt there was a little too much about his childhood, Stars Wars and The Wombles, and not enough about Spaced and Nick Frost and Zombies, well worth a read though.