Losing interest in gaming.

gothergother Posts: 14,687
Forum Member
✭✭
I seem to be going through a phase where i'm losing interest in gaming, i'll fire up the ps3 then just think "meh" and not bother playing anything.
Has anyone else gone through similar phases?

Comments

• DandemDandem Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I've been through that phase.

I find a good gaming detox always helps. I stopped playing for a good number of months, and then by the time I fired up the console again, I was enjoying gaming a lot more.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes. Although today I played half hour of tomb raider and was really enjoying it. Then I thought. ..this is daft playing this during the day. It's so atmospheric with lightning etc I should wait till its dark. However night will come and I probably won't be in the mood
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this doesn't inspire even the most jaded of gamers, then you're dead inside and frankly you should hang up your joypad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgF2aSpyQDs

On a serious note, it's happened to me a number of times. But then a game comes along which reminds me why I've always loved gaming and all is well with the world again.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a different type of game, something you would normally not consider. Lots of "gems" and the like on any platform. Or even go back to a game you may have missed and play that.

Plus its very common for this time of year for gamers to lose interest, after the super xmas hype fest, very little of substance comes out until summertime.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we also sometimes dwell on what we don't have, rather than appreciate what we do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also at that point, really not getting the urge to fire up my Ps3 anymore, I used to spend hours every night on the damn thing, now it just sits there most nights. Quite sad really, I have PSN+ and have recently installed Bioshock Infinite but it didn't do much for me if I'm honest, yes it looks pretty and all but the gameplay is pretty boring. I didn't like Uncharted 3 either another one of the free games on PSN+ a while back.

I sometimes play the odd game of fifa, but even that is Fifa'13 not 14 as I couldn't be bothered with forking out £40 for a crappy update. I honestly think the only thing that could get me aroused would be news of Fallout 4.

GTA V was great but when I started playing online with that I never went back to single player and the thought of going back to single player is quite depressing.

:(
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. At least 2-3 times a year. I just get on with other stuff.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, with me it was I just needed to get back to some fun, light- hearted gaming. Too many hours spent on doom-laden shooters. Got back into some platforming - primarily the Ratchet & Clank series (which I missed first time round). Put the smile back into my gaming!
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't play games as much as I used to for a while now, I could go weeks/months without turning on the console.

Only time I find myself getting back into it is when there's a game that can grip me like The Last of Us for example.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wii was the last console I bought, the new consoles just don't tempt me one bit.

Gaming certainly isn't as enticing as it used to be for me.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes definitely, it comes and goes with me. At the moment the PS4 has pulled me back in and only work stops me from playing everyday.

I think we're being swamped with freebies on PSN+. On paper it's seems great getting free games every month, but it doesn't automatically mean we're going to want to play more. There have being months when I haven't even downloaded the free games because I just don't want to play something because it's free, what I'm trying to say is to many games put me off gaming.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to try a few games on my pc that i've been ignoring for a couple of years maybe something like rollercoaster tycoon or sim city 4 will re-ignite my gaming passion.

I'm getting the ps4 around about August/September as still saving up for one lol hopefully i'll be well back into gaming by then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think everyone can relate to this. I'm just coming out of it in fact. I think for quite some time now I haven't been so interested in gaming, just bits and bats on the Wii, but nothing concentrated. But after having a really big break from it and recently acquiring a PS3, I'm feeling right back in it again. Had more fun on my recent purchases than I have had in absolutely years, and even the missus likes me playing stuff like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. Says it's better than the telly.

I agree. :D

So gother, I recommend a break from it for some time. It'll still be here when you get back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I stopped console gaming for several years after the PS3 was released. I then eventually bought one and it didn't reignite my interest. I then, on a whim, bought a Wii U (well, I say bought. I got it for free due to an error at Game!) and that started sort of a "gaming renaissance" for me. I missed most of last gen.

That'a an idea i might try you can get xbox360s cheap enough these days i'll look into getting one and trying games such as Halo etc. Maybe a new console in the house might ignite my gaming flame again. WiiU is out of my price range atm but that is another option in a couple of months time.
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though i might go the odd month playing games none stop. I ain't as interested in games as i was four years ago. I would spend hours and hours playing between 07 and 10.

I think the problem is that the hobby has lost its freshness for me and games are trying to become more like movies than actual games. I been gaming since the mid eighties but even last gen i was playing genres that i have never personally played before. For the most part i mostly play old style games like platformers, shoot em ups and score based games when i do play.

It also don't help that the new consoles don't fill me with excitement like other consoles did. Even the 360 and ps3 excited me when they was announced and i was not even playing games then. The xbone and ps4 libary so far is embaressing ( im amazed nobody is talking about this after the shit talking about the wiiu last year for the exact same reason ) and though the wiiu has some decent games now and a good line up this year. What happens after this year is worrying
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As regards the latest console generation, I think it's hard to go from the likes of Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us and GTA 5 to the library of games on offer for PS4 or XBoxOne.

There are some good games, but we've recently had some truly excellent games from the previous gen, it's a hard act to follow and so we might feel a bit underwhelmed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it could be after playing The Last of us which was brilliant i'm a bit underwhelmed by other games atm and struggling to get into them. On my HDD i have GTAV (completed), GRID2, Bioshock infinity, Mass effect3, Battlefield 3, WRC3, jak and dexter triology, hitman trilogy, fifa14, dragons dogma amongst other games.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped console gaming for several years after the PS3 was released. I then eventually bought one and it didn't reignite my interest. I then, on a whim, bought a Wii U (well, I say bought. I got it for free due to an error at Game!) and that started sort of a "gaming renaissance" for me. I missed most of last gen.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problem can come when people play games night after night after night.

I generally only get to play my console at weekends and the Vita around the football but not every night.

I play fewer games but I believe I miss out on the amount of dross that is released.

I also find it a little strange how people buy a big game and finish it in days. I deliberately stop playing after I finish at section and leave it come back to.

It is also important to have non-gaming hobbies/pastimes to give you some distance. I find my gaming bug is ignited when I haven't been able to play for a while.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    The Wii was the last console I bought, the new consoles just don't tempt me one bit.

Gaming certainly isn't as enticing as it used to be for me.

Could just be a part of getting older! :blush: ... I'd rather just watch a movie then play videogames these days! :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Could just be a part of getting older! :blush: ... I'd rather just watch a movie then play videogames these days! :blush:

The weird thing is that games and especially the quality of television shows has meant that I have barely watched a new movie.

The last film I went to see in the cinemas was Inception. And I cancelled Sky Movies a while ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The weird thing is that games and especially the quality of television shows has meant that I have barely watched a new movie.

The last film I went to see in the cinemas was Inception. And I cancelled Sky Movies a while ago.

There's just no excitement in videogaming now! :cry: ... Been playing for over 25+ Years & every conceivable idea / story has been rehashed / retold a 1000x times before! :(

(Now it's just endless yearly COD / FIFA / WWE updates with very little substance!) ;-)

Same could be said in regards to *movies* aswell lol :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    There's just no excitement in videogaming now! :cry: ... Been playing for over 25+ Years & every conceivable idea / story has been rehashed / retold a 1000x times before! :(

(Now it's just endless yearly COD / FIFA / WWE updates with very little substance!) ;-)

Same could be said in regards to *movies* aswell lol :blush:

It seems strange to me that my favourite games of last year was Persona 4 Golden and Catherine.

This year it is Rainbow Moon and Beyond Two Souls.

Beyond Two Souls had its flaws but at least David Cage is trying to do something different. Compare this to The Last Of Us - which while being a good game - was yet another round of enter an area, clear the area of bad guys, stock up on health and supplies and move to the next area with a few emotional cut scenes thrown in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    It seems strange to me that my favourite games of last year was Persona 4 Golden and Catherine.

This year it is Rainbow Moon and Beyond Two Souls.

Beyond Two Souls had its flaws but at least David Cage is trying to do something different. Compare this to The Last Of Us - which while being a good game - was yet another round of enter an area, clear the area of bad guys, stock up on health and supplies and move to the next area with a few emotional cut scenes thrown in.

Yep! ... I found *Last Of Us* pretty boring aswell if I'm being truthful! ... I just couldn't get into it for some strange reason! :(

(I might give it another try when Sony fires out that PSNow streaming service as I flogged my PS3 when I got a PS4!) :blush:
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I went through this phase last year...then The Last of us came and i got back into gaming mode. These phases do happen and will happen every once in a while mine was because i was busy with work so the free time i did have i spent with my mates.