Options

Question about Bus Drivers

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1. Am I correct in assuming that I need a PCV (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) licence to be a bus driver?

2. Do bus drivers use a sat-nav or do they have what is referred to as in the taxi industry as The Knowledge?

3. Is it easy being a bus driver?

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    1. Am I correct in assuming that I need a PCV (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) licence to be a bus driver?

2. Do bus drivers use a sat-nav or do they have what is referred to as in the taxi industry as The Knowledge?

I'm not a bus driver, but I've been a passenger on many buses in the past and I'd say neither is necessary!!

A child could memorise virtually any bus route :D

Good luck if this is your chosen career path.. from what I've heard it's not a bad job and can earn you 20k a year!
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

1. Depends on the size of the bus, but a normal size bus, yes

2. Most routes are simple enough not to require sat nav. The only bus drivers you see with sat nav are usually coach drivers who don't drive a fixed route, but you'd be expected to memorise a particular route (or at least have it written down to follow)

3. Depends what your line of work is, where you live, and how much you want to earn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    1) OP, many bus companies put you in for your PVC as part of their training, so don't go buying it yourself unnecessarily!

2) You'll have your route(s) and will be taken over them on a few runs with a manager before you're let loose. When diversions happen etc control will be in contact through rasio or mobile if your somewhere without coverage to advise of the alternate route. It's nowhere near like doing the Knowledge :)

3) Depends. Where do you live? I know ex-drivers in London who really couldn't take the stress - and those who've been doing it decades and enjoy it on the whole (though it can of course be stress - just driving in a large city can be ;) ). Where I live now the drivers love their job - so I think your area, the kind of routes you do, and your own personality make a real difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    You can drive a minibus up to 9 passengers without a PCV license, or up to 16 passengers in a minibus if you hold a full category B driving license. You can also drive a full size bus provided it is over 30 years old, you don't carry more than 8 people and you again hold a full category B license and have done so for at least two years.

It must be driven for non commercial purposes, so you cannot charge for journeys except to cover out of pocket expenses.
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/driving-passenger-carrying-vehicles-pcv-on-a-car-driving-licence

To drive for a commercial company requires a full PCV license.

Coach drivers may indeed use satnavs, but general commercial bus drivers don't. They learn their routes in advance, and usually accompany other drivers on the route(s) they are to drive a few times. It's also common to see training buses driving around with drivers learning new routes, but no passengers on board.

I know one guy who's a bus driver, he loves his job and it's decent pay. He does sometimes have a good moan about obnoxious passengers, and has even been threatened a few times too. But he says by far the worst routes are those that collect the schoolkids, he hates doing those runs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mate is doing training with First Bus. Five weeks to get his PCV licence and then he will be supervised on his routes.
  • Options
    mebiscuitmebiscuit Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    1) OP, many bus companies put you in for your PVC as part of their training, so don't go buying it yourself unnecessarily!

2) You'll have your route(s) and will be taken over them on a few runs with a manager before you're let loose. When diversions happen etc control will be in contact through rasio or mobile if your somewhere without coverage to advise of the alternate route. It's nowhere near like doing the Knowledge :)

3) Depends. Where do you live? I know ex-drivers in London who really couldn't take the stress - and those who've been doing it decades and enjoy it on the whole (though it can of course be stress - just driving in a large city can be ;) ). Where I live now the drivers love their job - so I think your area, the kind of routes you do, and your own personality make a real difference.

Problem is the op is going for bus driving not fitting windows 😀 most of the larger bus companies will train you, but you do have to stay with that company for a certain period of time. If you leave in that time you may have to pay for the cost of the training.
    Don't forget, there is now the requirement of holding a CPC card now on top of your PCV license.

You have to jump through hoopes to become a professional driver these days, not withstanding the fact the transport industry is the most heavily regulated industry in the UK. Laws change literally every year. But all the best in your chosen career. ☺
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked as a bus driver for 12 years through my 20s and into my 30s for a large local company.

Looking back it was not a bad decent paid job but very stressful and in the end I just became "burnt out".

Keeping to timetables,dealing with the public and other road users in heavy traffic,driving 8/10 hours a day,working antisocial shifts,working weekends and bank holidays finally took its toll and I found myself a less stressful job working in an office!
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    I worked as a bus driver for 12 years through my 20s and into my 30s for a large local company.

Looking back it was not a bad decent paid job but very stressful and in the end I just became "burnt out".

Keeping to timetables,dealing with the public and other road users in heavy traffic,driving 8/10 hours a day,working antisocial shifts,working weekends and bank holidays finally took its toll and I found myself a less stressful job working in an office!

I can confirm this too. Exactly how I felt.

I even tried it again 12 years ago with Stagecoach. Wow. I hated every minute of the 6 months I was there. It was even worse than my first time on the buses.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Bus drivers get route guided by a mentor until they know they way. They also get instructed on how to park the bus to the kerb and other exciting things.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Most) bus drivers have my utmost respect, especially in London.

In my view, they justify their salary far more than Tube drivers, who do little more than switch on and off, and close the doors. A moments lapse of concentration by a bus driver could be disastrous.

And they don't whinge as much either.
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bus drivers also have to have the ability to brake hard and very late when stopping thus ensuring passengers come close to projectile vomiting.
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As a bus driver, I can give you any advice.

1. Yes you do - you will need a category D entitlement and the Drivers' CPC

2. No, you will do route learning and that will be it; it's then up to you to remember. You do get a duty card with timing points on which can help.

3. Not really. It can be quite stressful.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan100 wrote: »
    As a bus driver, I can give you any advice.

1. Yes you do - you will need a category D entitlement and the Drivers' CPC

2. No, you will do route learning and that will be it; it's then up to you to remember. You do get a duty card with timing points on which can help.

3. Not really. It can be quite stressful.

As Dan say's...........also,

If you passed your driving test before 1997 driver's will have 'grandfather rights' with 101 restriction. This entitles you to drive a 16 seater for yourself, local authority or a charity but not for hire/reward. You can however drive a 9 seater minibus (taxi) for hire and reward and if it is a big 16 seater just take 7 seats out to make it into a 9 seater. If anyone wants to drive a 16 seater minibus for an employer (taking staff to/from work) they need to pass a minibus test ( about £1,200), CPC and get a digi card.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't fancy the abuse,spitting and violence that comes with the job.:(
    Not to mention Blakey!.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old man was a driver on PMT and National Express for nearly 30 years. He loved it.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    My mate is doing training with First Bus. Five weeks to get his PCV licence and then he will be supervised on his routes.

Wow, five weeks! I had nine days training to get my PCV licence, also before sitting at the controls of a bus for the first time I hadn't actually driven a vehicle of any description for eight years, but I thought it best not to mention this to Stagecoach :blush: I was a single mum and could only afford a pushbike, my last car was scrapped nearly a decade before. I learnt to drive in a 1971 plate manual coach and it was a freakin monster to drive and I so didn't think I'd pass my test, but I did first time with only four minors, you fail after fifteen minors if I remember. I've done this job for seven years now and find driving a bus the most relaxing part of my day! Some drivers do seem to find it a stressful job, they seem to have a midlife crisis every time someone gets on with a twenty pound note and they run out of change, but the small things in life don't bother me. Best tip I could give anyone doing this job is 'treat people as you would like to be treated yourself', and you won't go wrong.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brother-in-law drove a lorry for many years, which obviously involved loading and unloading, changed to driving a bus, his only comment was 'it's great the load walks on and off'
    By the way he went back to driving a lorry.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, five weeks! I had nine days training to get my PCV licence, also before sitting at the controls of a bus for the first time I hadn't actually driven a vehicle of any description for eight years, but I thought it best not to mention this to Stagecoach :blush: I was a single mum and could only afford a pushbike, my last car was scrapped nearly a decade before. I learnt to drive in a 1971 plate manual coach and it was a freakin monster to drive and I so didn't think I'd pass my test, but I did first time with only four minors, you fail after fifteen minors if I remember. I've done this job for seven years now and find driving a bus the most relaxing part of my day! Some drivers do seem to find it a stressful job, they seem to have a midlife crisis every time someone gets on with a twenty pound note and they run out of change, but the small things in life don't bother me. Best tip I could give anyone doing this job is 'treat people as you would like to be treated yourself', and you won't go wrong.

:cool: That is very impressive and a good tip for anyone. ;-):)