Gravity

Comments

• StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clooney is alright, but Bullock just get's on my nerves, with that screetchy panicked voice, droning on

Check out... Europa Report, looks like it may be interesting
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night. I thought it was okay, but nothing particularly special. Some neat special effects, but it didn't live up to the hype. Perhaps it was more of a cinema / IMAX experience.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    This happens year after year when certain films are Oscar potential-they either get an elongated release or are recalled/re-released due to the increased publicity.

I went to see Gravity again two nights ago-there were two others, actually made it more of an experience. In fact I could have just watched the Earth spin around for 90 minutes without any other action. Fabulous visual feast and escapism. Looking forward to the Blu- Ray

Its just passed the 700 million dollar barrier in takings so its doing very nicely for what arguably isn't really blockbuster material.

Saw the NASA film "The Dream is Alive" many years ago in a huge IMAX in the USA the views of the Earth were just stunning, no CGI gets close.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 3D version is currently available on LG 3D Smart TVs for the special price of £2.99 until March 13th.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Saw it in 2D last night on a projector and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was! Not sure how well it would stand up to a 2nd viewing though.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Watched this on Sky on Demand tonight. Nice to look at but definitely not nice to listen to. I won't go into details as the harsh reviews on IMDB do all that. The one thing I did expect was that the characters would be half plausible astronauts but they weren't. Sandra Bullock spends the first half of the film behaving like a barely trained space tourist and the second half like a superstar space walker who only needs a fire extinguisher to flit around. And Clooney might as well have been back on ER. Warner Bros must have used a hell of a lot of muscle to get this film on the Oscar best film shortlist. Disappointing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night on Sky Box Office. I liked it, it was a little predictable. Definitely not one of the best films I've ever seen, but an okay way to spend an evening.

I rate it 7/10.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I watched this last night. I thought it was okay, but nothing particularly special. Some neat special effects, but it didn't live up to the hype. Perhaps it was more of a cinema / IMAX experience.

Same here. I can see how it would have been good at the cinema in 3D but just watching at home it is basically a 90 minute showcase for some nice special effects.
    My inner geek couldn't help but take exception to some of the space physics, particularly
    Clooney having to let go - what force is meant to be responsible for him flying off like that :confused:
    . Sandra Bullock was also kind of annoying and I didn't really care about her survival.

Children of Men is one of my favourite films so I had high hopes for this and was fairly disappointed tbh.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    My inner geek couldn't help but take exception to some of the space physics, particularly
    Clooney having to let go - what force is meant to be responsible for him flying off like that :confused:

You may find the links in these posts interesting:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69817544&postcount=112

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69817674&postcount=113
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »

Part of the problem with the physics in the film is nothing seems to have mass, look at how Clooney is shown whizzing around on his his pack with it changing directions immediately, even though he and it has a large mass. Same with the Soyuz. Also if Bullock aimed her ship right at the Chinese station she'd miss by miles as her orbit would change. Also where is her O2 supply when she goes from the Soyuz to the Chinese station? She has no back pack as that type of Russian suit uses an umbilical for O2 and heating and cooling.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

Thanks :). Not sure if I entirely believe those explanations but at least the scene doesn't seem like such a glaring error now.
  • DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it today and thought it was amazing

I literally sobbed during that scene where she was sending a message to her daughter
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a boring and repetitive story ....... dangerous space walk, rescue pod, goes wrong, dangerous space walk ........... repeat sequence until you fall asleep.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the whole thing was stunning, a brilliant film from start to finish that deserves all the praise and awards.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it in 3D last week. The effects I thought were brilliant (an improvement on Avatar.)

At times I found myself leaning back into my seat as Clooney and objects came flying forward. Very realistic, imo. Certainly deserved the Oscars.

The story was so so.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night. Nice to look at, good effects etc. Not sure about Oscar worthyness. Some dodgy physics as mentioned. Nearly lost my cool at one point, until I realised what was going on.
    Kowalski opening the Soyuz hatch and Stone not bursting every single blood vessel. Oh, wait, oxygen deprivation, hallucination. Woo-sah.

Also thought it should have ended sooner.
    When the capsule separates on re-entry it is clipped by some debris. That's where I would have cut to black. Then the audience gets the uncertainty of whether she made it or not. Instead we get the predictable happy(ish) ending.

Overall I'd give it 6/10
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also thought it should have ended sooner.
    When the capsule separates on re-entry it is clipped by some debris. That's where I would have cut to black. Then the audience gets the uncertainty of whether she made it or not. Instead we get the predictable happy(ish) ending.

Overall I'd give it 6/10
    That's what I thought was going to happen, but so glad it didn't, I'm not really a big fan of those type of endings. The moment she touched the ground with the music and seeing the debris falling in the SKY was perfect imo
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this last night. Nice to look at, good effects etc. Not sure about Oscar worthyness. Some dodgy physics as mentioned. Nearly lost my cool at one point, until I realised what was going on.
    Kowalski opening the Soyuz hatch and Stone not bursting every single blood vessel. Oh, wait, oxygen deprivation, hallucination. Woo-sah.
    Nothing dodgy about that at all. In fact, it's only in the movies that happens, and a little bit of research would show otherwise.

http://www.damninteresting.com/outer-space-exposure/
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the absence of atmospheric pressure water will spontaneously convert into vapor, which would cause the moisture in a victim's mouth and eyes to quickly boil away. The same effect would cause water in the muscles and soft tissues of the body to evaporate, prompting some parts of the body to swell to twice their usual size after a few moments. This bloating may result in some superficial bruising due to broken capillaries, but it would not be sufficient to break the skin.

It was something like this I was thinking.

Not,
    explode like a grenade Hollywood style. And with the explosive decompression she wasn't out of breath. But like I said, it was only a couple of seconds and I realised what was going on.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this today in 3D and I would say that it is unlike any other movie I've seen.

It's been playing on my mind and I will probably watch it again tomorrow.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alternative start to the movie revealed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw79smKZB9E
  • spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would.
  • MilhauseMilhause Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think I have seen anything quite as over-hyped since........

If all people can get excited over is 3D spec effects then I truly despair.:(
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Whilst this is an good film it lacked any real tension for me.

In spite of all the fantastic graphics I can't say that I was all that impressed with 3D version. Spinning nuts and bolts were too much of a distraction.

Watched it last night on Sky. My opinion hasn't change.....it lacked tension. Also, this film did not need 3D in order to be visually impressive..

What this film did need however was two actors and not two film stars.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I thought the whole thing was stunning, a brilliant film from start to finish that deserves all the praise and awards.

I totally agree with you.

I don't care about the flaws. You're thinking way too much if that's all you care about.

Best way to experience the movie is on a large screen at the cinema in 3D. I was floored. Brilliant filmmaking, just a stunning film.