Weight Loss Thread - 2014 Edition

Comments

• WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I borrowed a book from the library on Monday called 'Dieting Makes You Fat' by Geoffrey Cannon (2008). It's an interesting read so far but I felt somewhat let down when he stated that people who are severely obese (BMI of 35 or higher) won't find exercise is doable for helping with weight loss. Right, so dieting isn't the answer, and for me, according to him, neither is exercise. Lol, what!! I think I already knew that dieting doesn't work (long term) for most people if they go back to eating and drinking what they did before they started the diet, so I'll just keep plugging away at staying away from sweets/chocolate/biscuits and continue to eat normally with healthy food. I do walk quite a bit but it's not 'vigorous' walking because of my knee (which I'm hoping will improve once some of the weight comes off). I'll admit that it does sometimes feel like a bit of a catch-22 situation.

I believe that swimming is a good exercise for people who are obese. (However, any new exercise regime should always be checked with your doctor first).
    Forum Member
    (I can't edit, so have to post again).

I thought I should add extra detail in case my 1kg/2lbs overweight seems very small.

I was a frequent poster in the Weight loss 2013 thread. And after I hit my target weight, I basically stuck there. So, while the amount is small, to actually be overweight is now notable for me personally. And I don't like it :(
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st Jan 87.5 kg
    12th Jan 85.9kg
    19th Jan 85.5kg (when to two parties that weekend)
    26th Jan 84.1kg
    2nd Feb 81.9 kg
    9th Feb 81.7kg
    15th Feb 80.7kg
    22nd Feb 79.8kg
    1st March 79.9kg
    8th March 78.5kg
    15th March 78.0kg
    22nd March 77.5kg
    29th March 76.9kg
    5th April 76.4kg
    13th April 76.6kg

At a wedding this weekend, led to drinking and bad eating. Oh well, had a good time. TBH with the kids off school last and this week, routine has been out of the window.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least you know what to do and know you can do it, that's half the battle I believe ! Good luck WF.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    (I can't edit, so have to post again).

I thought I should add extra detail in case my 1kg/2lbs overweight seems very small.

I was a frequent poster in the Weight loss 2013 thread. And after I hit my target weight, I basically stuck there. So, while the amount is small, to actually be overweight is now notable for me personally. And I don't like it :(
    If you're doing more intense exercise, it's possible you've gained some muscle mass. Do your clothes feel any different?
  • Cadbury QueenCadbury Queen Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I am doing a version of the 5:2 plan, I do it 4:3 with 3 fasting days a week. In just over a year I have lost 3 stone (with a few yoyos along the way when I had some breaks). Love this way as I am not restricting everyday as I felt I was doing on weighwatchers and other diets.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Molliepops
    If you're doing more intense exercise, it's possible you've gained some muscle mass. Do your clothes feel any different?

I would expect that I would have gained some muscle, and feel that what were moobs pre-weight-loss are now closer to being pecs, etc. But, the other day the rare even - me in a suit and tie - happened, and I thought that the trousers felt slightly tighter than they did last time. I hope I'm not growing out of them as they cost a lot :o
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost 2lbs this week...a drop from last week, but to be expected...Onto counting points this week..:o
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Fell off the wagon big time this week. I practically inhaled an entire easter egg :(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fell off the wagon big time this week. I practically inhaled an entire easter egg :(

I can manage to resist easter eggs this week. The danger will be next week when they are all reduced in the supermarket.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I can manage to resist easter eggs this week. The danger will be next week when they are all reduced in the supermarket.

Hopefully it won't make too much of a difference this week as I've been sticking to my daily points etc.

I've lost 4lbs since I started my diet 3 weeks ago so I figured I would slip up every now and again.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rejoined the gym three weeks as fed up of sedentary work lifestyle (design/graphics) and Christmas weight gain. And switched to more of a protein/low carb diet. Lost 10kg so far, and clothes etc def feel better :D. Suspect might have lost a bit more if not weight-training at same time. Ideally would like to lose about another 20kg.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a bit of a plateau week only manage to lose half a kilo - really disappointed as I'd been über good this week :(
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I believe that swimming is a good exercise for people who are obese. (However, any new exercise regime should always be checked with your doctor first).

I was obese when I 1st started losing weight (bmi 37), I started off by exercising on the Wii fit, then after 3 months I started swimming.
    IMO both were very helpful, combined with extra walking .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st Jan 87.5 kg
    12th Jan 85.9kg
    19th Jan 85.5kg (when to two parties that weekend)
    26th Jan 84.1kg
    2nd Feb 81.9 kg
    9th Feb 81.7kg
    15th Feb 80.7kg
    22nd Feb 79.8kg
    1st March 79.9kg
    8th March 78.5kg
    15th March 78.0kg
    22nd March 77.5kg
    29th March 76.9kg
    5th April 76.4kg
    13th April 76.6kg
    21th April 76.7kg

easter weekend = 4 days of fry-ups and massively unhealthy eating and lots of drinking as we did a road trip down to Cornwall. Only saving grace has been that I have been on my feet all day for a couple of days. Was surprised that I was not back over 78kg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i have put 2lb on, but it tis Easter and i haven't been out since Thursday of last week :o

i hope to walk into town tomorrow and walk back, and watch what i'm eating..Also i back to work on Wednesday so i will lose it again then
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had lost a stone in 6 weeks, just through cutting down portion sizes, choosing better options etc (although I can still have some fast food options) but I fear I may have put on one or two after the weekend.

Best be good before Wednesday weigh in.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first post in this thread on the 30th of march I weighed in at 18 stone

as of today I am now 17 stone

quite proud of myself :)

few more to go
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first post in this thread on the 30th of march I weighed in at 18 stone

as of today I am now 17 stone

quite proud of myself :)

few more to go

congratulations, a stone in less then a month is pretty good going.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That definitely is good going, I lost a stone in 6 weeks but a month is brilliant.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    congratulations, a stone in less then a month is pretty good going.

Its been pretty tough going drastically changed my diet
    been doing a boot camp 3 times a week
    3-4 mile runs the other two days

I know the weight lose will slow up a lot over the next few weeks but too see its working just give me the motivation to push on
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -3lbs this week..That's my first stone shifted!
  • KnightonKnighton Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if this will help anyone, seems like different things work for different people but it's happening for me!

I do a lot of running anyway, around 20 miles per week but that hasn't made much difference to my weight as I've been around the same level for about 2 years and my diet in my pre-running days was the same as it is now.

I've found that if I eat what *I* want as opposed to what we're supposed to eat (ie if I fancy a bowl of cereal at 4pm I'll have it, if I feel like pasta for breakfast that's what I'll eat). Also instead of having something when society deems it the 'right time' (breakfast time, lunch time, dinner time etc), I simply eat when I'm hungry. I find a lot of the time I'm not actually 'hungry' at these times, it just seems like I'll eat because the food is there. And if I'm not really hungry my body doesn't really need it and it seems like the food just gets stored as fat.

Also when I eat I listen to my body, and stop eating when I'm full. Seems like when I eat my favourite foods I just switch off completely. Again when I go past the point of 'full' anything else just gets stored regardless of whether it's healthy or low-calorie. We get it drummed in to us that there are "starving kids in Africa" which is true but I'm not sure how finishing our plate will help them :confused:

Anyway my weight was always around the same level for about 18 months but in the first 4 months I've been using this method I dropped almost 2 stone and have managed to keep it that way for the last 3 months.

Again I don't know if it works for everyone but just putting it out there :)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to lose another kg this week so slowly getting there
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I have lost 12lbs since 21 February which is pretty slow going, but on the other hand, I am trying not to crash diet. There were quite a few weeks when I lost none at all and even one week when I gained a pound, but I have found this is down to natural fluctuations rather than being real weight.

Real weight loss can only really be studied after about 4 weeks when it has settled, for me anyway.

I am going on holiday and worry about weight gain, but will just try to up the exercise and hope for the best.