Options

Do some people find installing a spellchecker too difficult?

silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I use Mozilla as my browser and it's easy to install a spellchecker which is pretty handy as I struggle with some works that are not phonetic :o

Why do so many posters not use this function though? :confused::(

Comments

• Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works?:p Damn that spellchecker...
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because they either do not care to, or know how to?

It doesnt matter... if you can understand the gist of what the person is saying then there's no problem.

Itz nut kewl 2 pick on ppl's spelling.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Because it's really not THAT important,altho many DS'ers will disagree.
  • Options
    rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    I use Mozilla as my browser and it's easy to install a spellchecker which is pretty handy as I struggle with some works that are not phonetic :o

Because it's not a crime to spell things wrong on the net and its not an exam either find another battle that is worthier
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spell checkers are not foolproof;)
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thay shud brang book honging.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to the forum T&Cs, you're not allowed to denigrate posters for spelling things incorrectly.

PS: What do you mean by 'works' that are not phonetic?:confused:
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find a spellchecker on my PC! Have one when I use Openoffice.org, but that's it.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My spellchecker dosnt work ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »
    Spell checkers are not foolproof;)

Indeed :o:D
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your going to try and save the world from bad spelling you could at least give firefox users the link to the dictionary addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary/
    Make sure you follow the instruction to activate it by right clicking on a text box though. It's annoying if you forget...

Personally I'm not that bothered by spelling as long as it's intelligible. And after all, spell checkers don't word all the time ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find a spellchecker on my PC! Have one when I use Openoffice.org, but that's it.

Your browser will have the option of adding a spellchecker. If you click on 'Tools' at the top of the screen there should be an 'Add On' option ;)

Or just click on the link above :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use firefox, besides DS underlines something if it is possibly mispelt, then I correct it, if I get something wrong then I am not going to lose sleep over it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just set one up, but I don't know how it should work, apparently is should be spell checking this as a type it. I'll take time to look at it again tomorrow.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just set one up, but I don't know how it should work, apparently is should be spell checking this as a type it. I'll take time to look at it again tomorrow.

lol deliberately spell it word wrong - go on! Lets check if it works! :eek:

Type humger or something. I am pretty humgary...
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really doesn't bother me, spelling wise I think we've all made typos along the way. I don't like to see others pick on spelling mistakes as they have no idea re the poster's capabilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    lol deliberately spell it word wrong - go on! Lets check if it works! :eek:

Type hunger or something. I am pretty humgary...

It's part of the Google toolbar, just found out that it seemingly doesn't do it as it goes along!!

Never mind!
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member

Perhaps because this is an Internet forum and it really doesn't matter. Now, if they where using bad spelling on a CV or business letter, that would be cause for comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps because this is an Internet forum and it really doesn't matter. Now, if they where using bad spelling on a CV or business letter, that would be cause for comment.

Yes this is downtime, not work time, we are allowed to make mistakes and not have to be so strict with ourselves
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you cannot spell correctly spell check is not much use.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about poor spelling (which can be annoying), extraneous apostrophes need to be made illegal. I find them really annoying and the easiest way to appear uneducated.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My keyboard on the Nexus tablet is supposed to do it for me. But it adds in strange 'corrected' words here there and everywhere if I don't constantly watch the thing. It nearly added the c word in a Facebook book message to my Mother earlier. Luckily I spotted it.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Pity we can't have a program that will eradicate all of the spelling and grammar police on t'Internet.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I don't have one but I think I have reasonable spelling anyway, if anyone finds any spelling mistakes in my posts irritating they're just being pedantic.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't bother with them. If I make a mistake, I make a mistake.