Favourite make up brand?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you stick to one brand or switch and use different ones? Ive recently heard alot about MUA make up and seeing it online it looks very cheap to buy, I'm wondering if its actually any good??

I would love to stick with Benefit and Soap and Glory but they're so expensive to wear every day and of course the deals always come on a week before I get paid so I always miss out lol :D

Comments

• Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I'm 55 and have used Clinique since I could afford my own stuff. I can't be without their clarifying lotion!:eek:
    I like Benefit & I find L''Oreal great to - especially as a slightly cheaper version to run to the shops or use going to the gym. ( yes I have to have a natural look cover in the gym at my age!:D:o)

I like MAC a lot too but the nearest place I can find it for me is Cardiff ( I live in Swansea). I like to test first so I hate it when I can't just go out and buy what I want.

I'm interested in ' Bare Minerals' any good ladies?

I can buy it here btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    YSL foundation (not changing ever!) Benefit powder, Clinique chubby sticks, and then Benefit/Soap and Glory for mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow I'm not fussy about, I don't see the point in expensive eyeshadow when I care more about the colour :p
    I've found that the better quality foundation, the better quality my skin is - since using YSL I rarely get nasty spots! Yay! :p
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm clearly a bit of a tight-wad. If I think what I've got at the moment I'm on Maybelline BB cream, Max Factor mascara and No7 concealer. I don't spend anything over £10 on any one product. I used Clarins stuff once and was horrendously allergic.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Clinique face powder all the time. I love it. I have used it for about 18yrs now.

I also love Benefit, but was really vexed when their large eye pencil was discontinued, so I have gone on a one woman protest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard alot about the YSL foundation, I might give it a go, At the moment I'm using the Soap and Glory show good face in the palest colour and its a perfect match for my skin! I'm deathly white and anything with any other colour makes me stand out like a sore thumb so I'm given up trying to look any different in that department lol

I have also only found one concealer that does the trick, its a cheap collection 2000 one from boots in extra fair, I have to tackle my horrible crack addict look head on and this seem to do the trick quite well :D It really brightens your eye area and believe me I've spend hundreds on different concealers, this one is really really good stuff!

I got a concealing kit from Benefit and I've used quite a bit of it, even the palest tones are still too bright for my skin so it doesnt look natural at all which is that look I want to get lol

Ive been tempted to try the bare minerals too, they look really easy to use but apparently they're not, I'm not sure it would cut it for the natural look when I horrible bags under my eyes all the time, I need them hidden away! :D

I also hate spending more than a tenner on one product, thats why when they have 3 for 2's I really try and stock up so yeah another tight-wad here! lol
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiance26 wrote: »
    I've heard alot about the YSL foundation, I might give it a go, At the moment I'm using the Soap and Glory show good face in the palest colour and its a perfect match for my skin! I'm deathly white and anything with any other colour makes me stand out like a sore thumb so I'm given up trying to look any different in that department loll

I absolutely ADORE my YSL foundation but I'd definitely recommend get colour matched at the counter before you buy it - it's a fair bit of money to shell out for a product that doesn't suit you.

I'm a bit of a make up junkie :o I really love YSL for my foundation and use their touche éclat to conceal (although mine has just run out, sigh!). I'm currently using a Laura Mercier powder to complete my base, and either a Benefit or Revlon primer (really want to try the Hourglass one but it's horrendously expensive...). I love NARS and Benefit for blusher (Orgasm and Hervana are my respective favourites) and if I want to I use either a Benefit or a Mac highlighter.

Urban Decay do awesome eyeliners and shadow (I have the Naked 2 palette, it's amazing!), but also lovelovelove Soap and Glory's Supercat eyeliner and use Maybelline mascara.

For lips, I love Mac and YSL, but also the Revlon lipbutters and balm stains.

Oh, and Real Techniques brushes are amazing.

...I think I've thought too much about this...
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never stick to one brand. I buy products that i like no matter what the brand is.

Benefit mascara - They're Real
    Max Factor- facfinity compact
    No7- mirror shine lipstick
    Maybelline- dream mousse blusher
    Loreal- Eyeshadow

at the mo
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 55 and have used Clinique since I could afford my own stuff. I can't be without their clarifying lotion!:eek:
    I like Benefit & I find L''Oreal great to - especially as a slightly cheaper version to run to the shops or use going to the gym. ( yes I have to have a natural look cover in the gym at my age!:D:o)

I like MAC a lot too but the nearest place I can find it for me is Cardiff ( I live in Swansea). I like to test first so I hate it when I can't just go out and buy what I want.

I'm interested in ' Bare Minerals' any good ladies?

I can buy it here btw.

I've never tried Clinique products, I've always thought they are out of my price range. Are they expensive compared to other leading brands?

Bare Minerals is one of my favourites. The mineral foundation is sublime, great coverage and the mineral veil finishes off the face to perfection. Their eyeshadows, blushers and warmth are fab too. No complaints from me in regards to Bare Escentuals.

Smashbox hydrating mineral powder is another fantastic product.

Invest in decent brushes. Core Techniques are my favourites, especially the eyeshadow crease brush. I have a Mac stippling brush that I use with my mineral veil which is great. Eco Tools brushes aren't expensive, they are good, especially for indoor make up. I've got a Bobby Brown set too but I don't think they are as good as the brands I've listed. Good, but no comparison to Core Techniques.

Not a make up product, Elemis, their papaya enzyme peel is wonderful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mua lip stuff is incredible, eyeshadow can be hit and miss, but their eyeliner pencils are fab!
    Boots no7 foundation is my fave atm
    Illamasqua mascara (pricey but I love it!)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Most of mine is maybelline but thats just because i like those particular items.

I used to love maybelline wet shine diamonds lip gloss but they dont make it anymore :( it was the only lip gloss i found that wasnt too sticky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love experimenting with makeup brands, but most of my makeup case consists of Benefit.

Porefessional primer, Cha Cha Tint, They're Real mascara, High Beam, Bella Bamba blush, Hoola bronzer and my ultimate favourite, Brow-zing.

I have some Benefit pallettes too, which are always handy - Tropicana, Cabana Glama, Smokin' Eyes and one other I can't remember.

In terms of other brands, MAC blush is always great, Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, Dior Forever foundation and Chanel volumising mascara are all winners.

Jesus, I just realised how makeup obsessed I am.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use different brands for different things as I feel that not one brand is good at everything. I'm faithful to the brands I have listed as they seem to have good staying power.

Foundation - Christian Dior or Revlon
    Blushers - Nars
    Eye shadows - Urban Decay
    Eye Pencils -Urban Decay
    Mascara - Lancôme or Covergirl
    Lip gloss - L'Oreal
    Nail polish - China Glaze, OPI, Essie, Barry M
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use all different brands because thats the fun of makeup baby!!
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely Benefit.

I own Erase Paste, Girl Meets Pearl, Posietint, High Beam, The POREfessional, They're Real mascara, Life On The A list lipgloss, Benetint, ChaChatint, BADgal mascara and BADgal eyeliner.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missy83 wrote: »
    BADgal eyeliner.

Unless they have bowed down to pressue, you won't be buying that again. I am still in mourning.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I like the cream eye shadows but i find with my eyes after about 20 minutes its all gone except for a small line where the eyelid creases. Just tried the maybelline 24 hour tattoo one and im surprised it works! Ok it lasted about 8 hours and did fade a little bit but nothing that noticable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just goes to show there isnt actually a leading brand when it comes to make up! Everyone seem pretty mixed up on opinions when it comes to different brands.

I'm hooked on Soap and Glory at the moment, also I know its not really make up but I got my hands on some puffy eye attack from S&G and just using it for 2 days and the bags under my eyes are so much better, they're hardly there!! I'm raving about this product lol :D I've had this problem for years now, really horrible under eye bags and now its like I actually dont look ill for a change!!! :D
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Jane Iredale. It isn't cheap though but on the occasions when I can't afford to replace some thing and have to use something cheaper while I save up I hate it.

Although my fave lipgloss at the mo is Collection 2000 lock and hold at £2.99 :)
  • LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I love the Clinique CC cream- it's so lightweight so feels like I'm barely wearing make up and looks so natural :), I've found it lasts ages as a little of it goes a long way :). For special occasions I wear Clinique Redness Solutions foundation :)
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Dior, YSL, Benefit and I quite like Revlon products too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clinque for face powder, Lancome and Guerlain for lipstick and some eye shadows. Mac for foundation and Bobby Brown. I like urban decay eye shadows too. I don't like bare minerals much.

Has anyone here tried Illamasqua cosmetics?
  • nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a friend who raves about them.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Their products are extremely pigmented! If you're into bold, bright colours their range is something you definitely need to check out.
    The skin base didn't wow me, but their lipsticks and eyeshadows are wonderful!

To the OP, I try different make up a lot but I'm most faithful to NARS and MAC.
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation, I can't use any other foundation now without noticing the difference.
    Mac I've been wearing more of now also :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura Mercier and By Terry for concealers, Illamasqua for colour and foundation, Tom Ford and Chanel for powder, bronzer and frivolous beautiful expensive stuff and Top Shop for their eye liners and lipsticks.

And Bourjois for cream blusher, mascara and Healthy Mix Serum foundation.