Options

Have you ever seen a dead body?

Comments

• Options
    barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes my dad .He looked very peaceful .I was with him when he went , he just took little baby breaths , then no breaths .It was very calm .
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    That is very lovely and similar to me and my husband. Although my husband was only in the house for 12 hours after his death. Friends and family came and we all took it in turns to sit with his remains , hold his hand and swear at him, thank him and say goodbye. The undertaker was a friend so that was ok. When his remains were taken my dear girl friend and I toasted him well into the very long night. My thoughts are with you.

And my thoughts are with you:)

I suspect that, in not treating the death of someone we loved as something to be feared, we have both got lovely memories of a sad day.

P.S. four drunken women trying to put his beloved rugby socks on him was a sight the district nurse had never seen before and is likely to never see again!;-)
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    First time I saw a dead body was my father when he died last year. Myself and my eldest brother and his family travelled over to Dublin for the funeral (rest of the family are still in Dublin). We had trouble getting flights at short notice (funerals happen usually within 3 days in Ireland), so we only arrived when the removal to the church was in progress. Afterwards, the undertakers asked if we wanted to see him before the funeral the next day. So, next morning, myself and the eldest brother went to the church early and they opened the coffin for us. It was strange seeing him lying there. I touched his hand and was startled at how cold he felt, icy to the touch he was. You know it instinctively, but the reality is still a bit of a shock. Although the quality of his life in his later years was a travesty, I still felt incredibly sad. The man who had brought me up, with whom I had had in depth discussion about politics and football and religion, etc. when I was a teenager, looked so pathetic and frail lying there. And diminished.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was with my Mother when she died. My father died abroad, but I did see him in his coffin before he was placed in the ground.

I have seen other dead bodies. I attended a funeral of a work colleague. He was in an open coffin at his house prior to the actual funeral. I had no idea about this until I got to the house. He looked so peaceful after the ravages of cancer did their evil best on him. He was only 45 years old.

I also witnessed quite a few whilst my Mother was on the cancer ward. Most of her fellow patients died before her. I practically lived at the hospital, so watched them all go one by one.
  • Options
    QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I saw my Gran as she died at home when I was about 14.
    Then I was with my Dad when he died in hospital and I also went to the undertakers to see him one final time the night before the funeral.
    In 2010 my Mom passed away and I saw her in hospital just after she'd died.
    Nothing creepy about it at all as we're all going to end up that way. I'm not a believer in all this 'its just a shell left as the spirit has gone' stuff. I firmly believe that once a person has died, that's it. End of.

I'm so pleased I saw both Mom and Dad after they'd died, just to say goodbye for one last time.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes, and everyone that I have loved the most.

My Dad, who died at home, it was expected, he was very ill. I found him.

My Mum, who died in ICU on a New Year's Day early morning.

My husband, who died literally in my arms, in a hospice in March 2013.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And my thoughts are with you:)

I suspect that, in not treating the death of someone we loved as something to be feared, we have both got lovely memories of a sad day.

P.S. four drunken women trying to put his beloved rugby socks on him was a sight the district nurse had never seen before and is likely to never see again!;-)

Lol. I gave up on the beautiful Italian shoes and he went in his disgusting dessie boots. That memory has made me laugh out loud..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Yes my Grandad, he wss on a machine to try and force fluid out of his lungs, it was very wierd seeing his skin change colour in front of my eyes and throat stop moving and think, he's dead. :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The one thing that shocked me was not that they had gone - in all my cases it was expected, even though my beautiful husband had just turned 42 - it was the coldness of everything.

He was from Tunisia, a hot country, and although he got used to the weather here, he loved to be warm.

My consolation is that he was taken back to Tunisia to be buried, as it was his wish, and I now think of him lying in the sun instead of in the perpetually cold wet ground that it would be here.

Of course, it makes no difference to him, but it just makes me feel better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing that shocked me was not that they had gone - in all my cases it was expected, even though my beautiful husband had just turned 42 - it was the coldness of everything.

He was from Tunisia, a hot country, and although he got used to the weather here, he loved to be warm.

My consolation is that he was taken back to Tunisia to be buried, as it was his wish, and I now think of him lying in the sun instead of in the perpetually cold wet ground that it would be here.

What a lot to bear. I hope you get some comfort from knowing he is in his his homeland and in the sunshine. I had no idea there were so many young widows here.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a bit of a Fawlty Towers moment in a hotel I used to work in. A customer who had been staying with us for a while was not answering his door for housekeeping to change his sheets and towels. So after knocking a couple of times I opened his door.
    He was sitting dead on a chair in front of the TV with an empty Vodka bottle on the floor beside him.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    Luckily I've not yet seen the dead body of someone I know.
    Unfortunately for most of us that's the most likely scenario...

Having lost both my Mother and Father all I can say is thank God you only have to go through it twice :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a lot to bear. I hope you get some comfort from knowing he is in his his homeland and in the sunshine. I had no idea there were so many young widows here.
    Thank you, yes it is a comfort, also he has many family members there to tend the ground.

I'm not young, he was. I was 38 and he was 23 when we met and married, we'd been married for almost 19 years when he died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, yes it is a comfort, also he has many family members there to tend the ground.

I'm not young, he was. I was 38 and he was 23 when we met and married, we'd been married for almost 19 years when he died.

Makes no difference.Im not young either. My husband was 20 years older than me. we had 11 years together. A shared love is just that. The loss is a wee unfathomable depth. all the best. x
  • Options
    skiprunnerskiprunner Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Yes, loads both in my previous job as a police officer and now as a support practitioner
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Have you? did you touch it? It gives me the creeps seeing dead animals not sure how I would react to seeing a dead human.

Ive seen a few dead bodies, creeped out a bit but not too bad.

Ive never seen a dead animal up close (well except what the cats have caught) and the thought of that scares me more! I can deal with seeing people dead but not animals. I actually cried when there was a dead cat in the road and i hadnt even seen it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Makes no difference.Im not young either. My husband was 20 years older than me. we had 11 years together. A shared love is just that. The loss is a wee unfathomable depth. all the best. x

Thank you, and all the best to you too.
  • Options
    moonlandingsmoonlandings Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a care home so yes, many times.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, and all the best to you too.

All my love extended and more x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    All my love extended and more x

Thank you so much, x.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many sad stories in this thread.

I've seen both my parents and my young brother. All pretty much expected sadly.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Once. My mother.

Dad and his guardian saw a dead body floating in the sea when out sailing.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dad had a fatal heart attack in front of me. Then Mother in law - got to a nursing home a few minutes too late after she died. The latter was the most distressing. With my dad it happened so fast, no long drawn out death, that it just looked like he was sleeping. He was there, then he wasn't. With my MIL it was the end of a few weeks when she was on her death bed and she did not look like herself before the end. It haunts me a bit actually. I often think about it, pops into my mind at random times. The Corrie storyline has been playing on my mind. I would rather go like my dad than a pain ridden death that goes on and on. I would rather have control on when I go if I am so terribly ill and in pain. I would avoid seeing a dead body if I had the option again. I would not go to a funeral home to look at someone.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no, and i never want to.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Back when I was young me and three friends set out to find the body of a local missing boy. We had a bit of an adventure on the way but when we got there some older boys had found it first. I ended up threatening the leader with a gun cos he was a dick.