Options

Things that went on at school that probably wouldn't be allowed now.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
Forum Member
i.e

kids who forgot p.e kit were made to do it in their underwear no socks on a cold marble floor, even girls as old as 11 :(

I remember a downsyndrome girl who no fault of her own found it hard not to disruptive during assembly, the speaker/teacher would walk up calmly drag her slowly by the arm whilst still sat legs crossed to the front, and did the same with any other disruptive child, but it tended to be more her :(

competitive sports day!

bring in home made birthday cakes on your birthday.:) has to be shop bought now.

This was only the 90's btw,

what are you're memories?

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Yup, I was in reception class in 1996 and was made to do PE in just my underwear. It bothered me then and it bothers me now. I know it was just school policy but it left you with a heavy sense of shame for a long time afterwards.

Until Jamie Oliver's healthy school meals drive, the food really was dreadful. I don't think any education authority grasped the idea that a productive child was a well fed child.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghespetti wrote: »
    i.e

kids who forgot p.e kit were made to do it in their underwear no socks on a cold marble floor, even girls as old as 11 :(

I remember a downsyndrome girl who no fault of her own found it hard not to disruptive during assembly, the speaker/teacher would walk up calmly drag her slowly by the arm whilst still sat legs crossed to the front, and did the same with any other disruptive child, but it tended to be more her :(

competitive sports day!

bring in home made birthday cakes on your birthday.:) has to be shop bought now.

This was only the 90's btw,

what are you're memories?
    To be fair, most of that wasn't 'allowed' in the 90s either, but you always get a few 'old school' (quite literally) teachers in every school.

Competitive sports day still happens.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Primary school teacher sending kids to the shop for **** for her. Pulling a girl out of the room by her ponytail. Such memories!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Probably some of the stuff we did in Science class.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are teachers still allowed to throw the blackboard eraser at your head across the full length of the classroom?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I hope this one has changed. All through primary school, even in year 6 we all had to change for pe in the same classroom. Some of us were more developed than others and got teased by the boys.

Now i cant believe they made us do that. Some girls would try and change in the toilets but the teachers would find them and make them get changed in the classroom in front of everybody.

It seems weird that it was a rule that girls and boys got changed together but just six weeks later you would be in trouble for watching someone of the opposite sex getting unchanged!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember an evil teacher Mrs Dixon lifting me up by my ears when I was around 4/5, as I wasn't standing in line perfectly straight. Evil bitch, it was so painful! Hope she's dead now!
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until Jamie Oliver's healthy school meals drive, the food really was dreadful. I don't think any education authority grasped the idea that a productive child was a well fed child.

Not sure when you went to school but I went in the late 70s/1980s and the food at our school was pretty good. Then again, it was made on the premises and wasn't reheated crap brought in from somewhere else.
    Picto wrote: »
    Are teachers still allowed to throw the blackboard eraser at your head across the full length of the classroom?

Yeah we got that too :)

We used to play a game which was a variant of dodgeball but rather than using a softball, it was a proper volleyball/basketball so if it hit you, it bloody well hurt and left massive bruises.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being hit on the hand with a ruler.
    Having to do PE in normal pants and a vest at primary school.
    I am sure I will think of more.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I hope this one has changed. All through primary school, even in year 6 we all had to change for pe in the same classroom. Some of us were more developed than others and got teased by the boys.

Now i cant believe they made us do that. Some girls would try and change in the toilets but the teachers would find them and make them get changed in the classroom in front of everybody.

It seems weird that it was a rule that girls and boys got changed together but just six weeks later you would be in trouble for watching someone of the opposite sex getting unchanged!

We had to get changed in the classroom too, in front of everyone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    A boy in our class got whacked pretty hard with a ruler

In once class the teacher used to literally throw our marked homework books at us. You were supposed to catch them, but those who were not so good with their hands basically got whacked in the face with their own book :D

A disruptive boy used to be made to stand in the bin - full of coke cans and banana peels

I assume that British Bulldog has been banned (again) by now? That one appears to resurface and get re-banned again quite quickly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brisky wrote: »
    I assume that British Bulldog has been banned (again) by now? That one appears to resurface and get re-banned again quite quickly

Heh, we played that as well, we also played it in the street at home but had the added danger of passing cars :)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »

Did you have Mr Quigley as well :D Deadly with blackboard eraser or chalk :o
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At infant/junior school in the 70's:

- PE was always in vest and undies
    - The caretaker played the role of Father Christmas. This is gone in the more secular multicultural Britain :cry:
    - Competition was allowed!!
    - Our headmaster used to smoke his pipe in school. The smell of good pipe tobacco always takes me back to that time

We moved to Manchester, and the new junior school was brutal

- it was the first time I saw a teacher and student fighting
    - disruptive kids dragged from class
    - corporal punishment was definitely in - slipper, strap, cane
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learning to write on a slate. The belt. Children tied to their chairs for being disruptive. It was the 50s.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    We had to get changed in the classroom too, in front of everyone else.

Same here right until the end of junior school as we didn't have any dedicated changing facilities. The girls who were more "developed" were allowed to change in the toilets.

We had a junior school teacher who would make you sit on his knee until the end of the lesson if you were being naughty in class.

At secondary school when the cane was still allowed, one female teacher who was tiny would stand on a chair to administer the cane. Another teacher would spend all of the lesson waving his cane around and ad a brilliant ability to whack it down on a desk a millimetre from your fingers.

We had a teacher who was a former cricketer so he had a fantastic aim with the chalk or board rubber. He could hit you between the eyes at the back of the class.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smoking around school grounds teachers and pupils. and this was in the 90s. though near the fields.
    But think these would checked now days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »

Yes this was the case in our class i was a very early developer , my mum was really mad when she found out and complained to the school. then we had to get changed in a cloakroom (the girls)

Yeah I agree school dinners , I remember getting battered spam, 2 smiley faces and using an ice cream scoop for 1 scoop of mash and some sweetcorn, and jelly like ...can't imagine that being great brain fuel, especially as parents paid 1.50 a day for the pleasure.

The **** one :D I'm guessing was that an earlier decade than the 90's?
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were allowed round the local sweet shop at lunchtime when we were in primary school...we could also go home after we'd finished out dinner as long as we told the dinner lady
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sorry double post,

i thought sports day banned competitiveness though? or was that newspaper rag rhubarb.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being watched in the shower by the teacher.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry double post,

i thought sports day banned competitiveness though? or was that newspaper rag rhubarb.
    I daresay it may be 'banned' at some schools, or maybe in Reception class where there's little point having them compete against each other, but in the various schools my kids and nephews and nieces attend (youngest in Y2) they still compete, with certificates or house points or whathaveyou for the winners. It's definitely not Govt. policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure when you went to school but I went in the late 70s/1980s and the food at our school was pretty good. Then again, it was made on the premises and wasn't reheated crap brought in from somewhere else.[/B]

i think bad school food was a late 80's to 2000's issue mainly. My mum said her school food, 60's 70's was ok too.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Being checked to see if you took off your underwear when wearing PE and Games shorts.

That wouldn't be allowed today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think bad school food was a late 80's to 2000's issue mainly. My mum said her school food, 60's 70's was ok too.

That would make sense, I left school in 1988 and, by that time in the Sixth Form, we weren't eating school dinners very often but would either nip to the chip shop, the local corner shop or walk down into town for a sandwich.