Options

Sertraline anti depressant, has anyone used it?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
And if so what are your thoughts ?

Basically I have 3 packs of 50mg tablets which I am supposed to be taking, the reason I have accumulated three packs is because I'm too terrified to take them.

I remember trying citilopram a year or so ago and it made me feel horrific , I was also on Duluxotene for a couple of years, which was fine, but after a while I decided to come off them, and I was horrendously ill for about 2 weeks with 'withdrawel' , it was truley awful.

What are the likely side effects with these?

At the moment the only help I get is from Paul McKenna's CD and Book, 'I can make you happy'.

I have anxiety, am depressed (not horrendously) I am still able to exercise and get up in the morning. Also body dismorphia.

Comments

• Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently come off them, after a number of years. I had no side effects, but everyone is different. It was tough coming off them, but this was because I was on them a long time, and I was on 200mg a day.

Why do you keep collecting prescriptions for it though if you have no intentions of taking them?
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently on 50mg per day and very pleased with them. No noticeable after effects and I have my life back. I feel like the me of 3 years ago. Citalopram made me chunder, Mirtazapine made me very sleepy and inactive and St John's Wort made me suicidal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I've been on them. Citalopram stopped working for me and I ended up on a massive dose so was moved onto Sertraline. It worked for the depression but I was sleeping up to 16 hours a day so went onto Fluoxetine. Fluoxetine still made me sleepy though so three years later I've come off antidepressants altogether within the last few weeks.

The side effects are different for everyone, for me though even though they made me feel physically crap, it was small fry compared to living with depression. :)
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed Sertraline (Zoloft) because unlike some antidepressants they have less impact on blood sugar levels, so as long as you continue watching your health, you are less likely to gain weight. Some people are sensitive at first, so if your doctor agrees, wean up gradually to your prescribed dose, then the side effects should be manageable.

All I had was some dry mouth initially, but was pleasantly surprised to start seeing benefits at 4 weeks with my anxiety improving, although I noticed this got a fraction worse, before it kicked in. Next my sleep quality improved, and I got my appetite back. Those two things, as you can imagine make you feel human again. Finally at 6 to 8 weeks, my depression lifted. I know it's not easy to persevere when you're already feeling down and anxious. I hope they work well for you too.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    In short, I tried them for 9 months - never felt so ill, shaky & depressed in my life. Hence I'm back on my old Dolsulepin. I really couldn't handle the others.:( horses for courses I guess. Hope you can sort things out as it's no fun.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I take 150 mg a day fine. Do the job. But you have to take them for at least four weeks to get full effect. It no good not taking them you will get worse.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    And if so what are your thoughts ?

Basically I have 3 packs of 50mg tablets which I am supposed to be taking, the reason I have accumulated three packs is because I'm too terrified to take them.

I remember trying citilopram a year or so ago and it made me feel horrific , I was also on Duluxotene for a couple of years, which was fine, but after a while I decided to come off them, and I was horrendously ill for about 2 weeks with 'withdrawel' , it was truley awful.

What are the likely side effects with these?

At the moment the only help I get is from Paul McKenna's CD and Book, 'I can make you happy'.

I have anxiety, am depressed (not horrendously) I am still able to exercise and get up in the morning. Also body dismorphia.

You really ought to discuss this matter with the prescribing GP who should be able to alleviate your concerns.