Options

Catholic Church at it again. This time selling babies.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    How about this?

Catholic church tell its memebrs to release all information they have on this practice to the police.

You would have thought that for the sake of their own reputation, that they would.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife was adopted and she has the same (admirable IMO) attitude. She's "friends" with her birth mother now. In her case she was the 2nd daughter of an unmarried mum living in a small rural village in the mid-sixties.

Her mum gave her up to she could have a better upbringing and be raised free of the "stygma" that was often attached to a child born under those conditions back in that era - FWIW that's exactly how it worked out in my wifes case - her elder sister has actually said that my wife was the "lucky one" :(.

I like to think children like myself and your wife were blessed, there are some horror stories out there about poor children being adopted or in orphanages where they were treated badly or abused .. i thank the lord above i got my parents.

I had an older sister that died through drugs and my younger brother actually calls 'our' Mother by her first name - she wasnt maternal, she still isnt but we got on ok and i might see her again - i hugged my 'proper' Mum extra hard the next time i saw her though, if i won the lottery i still couldnt re-pay them for what they gave me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would have thought that for the sake of their own reputation, that they would.

Not going to happen. If it does I'll eat my hat. Ok I don't own a hat but you see what I mean.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    How about this?

Catholic church tell its memebrs to release all information they have on this practice to the police.

I wish they would. It would go some way to restore some confidence ordinary Catholics would have in their church. It's been a horrible time the last few years with their cover ups and scandals.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Not going to happen. If it does I'll eat my hat. Ok I don't own a hat but you see what I mean.

How about this then?

Police form a unit and arrest people when they consider it necessary, and raid "buildings" where they consider it necessary, without regard to religious sensitivities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I wish they would. It would go some way to restore some confidence ordinary Catholics would have in their church. It's been a horrible time the last few years with their cover ups and scandals.

It would.

I never had any grand dads. The two Fathers at my school became my grand dads. I loved those men, they were beautiful people who I am honoured and priviledged to have had in my life. The Catholic Church is tarnishing their memory by allowing these scandals to go un dealt with. They are allowing people to form opinions of all priests based on the wrongs of a few.

Not only is the church doing a dis service to the victims, they are doing a dis service to all the good people within the Church and it sucks.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Yes it has, it has let down all Catholics by trying to put its own reputation above the safety of others. i do think that (bizarrely) it did it with the best of intentions, with the twisted logic of the greater good being a church free from scandal and being in a better position to do gods work. In the past it may have been able to do this, but not now. The politicians have to make it quite clear to religions that they are not above the law. We can have no more of “dealing with it internally and measures put in place”. Full disclosure to the authorities.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

your link says £22.50:confused: even that seems a bit high, it would mean that on leaving school at 16 my first job`s take home pay was equal to £238 a week. it wasn`t.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your link says £22.50:confused: even that seems a bit high, it would mean that on leaving school at 16 my first job`s take home pay was equal to £238 a week. it wasn`t.

How strange - it came up £41.60 earlier, I must have put in the wrong year. :o

Sorry mummymaz :o
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    How strange - it came up £41.60 earlier, I must have put in the wrong year. :o

Sorry mummymaz :o

splendid, i thought i was being unnecessarily dim.

edit: doesn`t explain its calculation of my first wage though.:confused:
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    splendid, i thought i was being unnecessarily dim.

Nah. That's my job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £22.60 ... feel even worse now!!! ;)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    HughJBoobs- that did make me chuckle :D

That is a truly awful story; but not surprising. It was fairly common practice in Ireland that babies of unmarried mothers were sold to wealthy Americans. Baby factories; birth 'em, ship 'em out and put the mothers to washing laundry to make money for the nuns for the rest of their lives.

We're really not far removed, historically, from this kind of warped morality. I'd be inclined to give the individuals as much of the blame as the church, though; it's too easy to say the priest told them to do it.

My father used to have to occasionally visit a Magdalene Laundry as a younger man and I have screamed at him about the fact that this bullshoite was allowed to go on while good people sat back. :o

I've read all about the Magdalene Laundries and the things that went on in them. Horrific :cry: I've also seen the movie The Magdalene Sisters. It wasn't exactly pleasant viewing (I wouldn't watch it again) but I think everyone should see it once. Although the characters are fictional, the events are based on true stories :( It's an eye-opener.
    I met someone who isn't that much older than I am (I'm 34) who had a kid at 13 or 14 and was put in one of those Magdalen laundries. I was shocked they were still around in the 80s.

I read somewhere that the last one closed in 1996! :eek::cry::(
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a thread made some months ago about a priest or whatever that did something good. That thread hardly got any replies. When the church does something bad however, there's post, after post, after post. It's like some can't wait to start slagging the church off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I remember a thread made some months ago about a priest or whatever that did something good. That thread hardly got any replies. When the church does something bad however, there's post, after post, after post. It's like some can't wait to start slagging the church off.

I have to admit that I tend to gravitate towards the "religion is awful" threads rather than all those others that keep popping up about the good stuff ;)

You do make a good point though. I am aware that not all Catholics do bad things, some do very good things.

As I said, they need to sort out the rubbish.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What reputation????:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair point .. doesn't really tell us your views on this particular awful chapter in the history of the Catholic Church though.

The church and religion can, and do, make some very big differences for good in the world, for which they should be praised.

By the same token - when the name of 'god' is used to defend evil acts and carry out totally reprehensible acts ... they should be taken to task for it.

Unfortunately - they very, very rarely actually ever make amends and the perpetrators of the viles acts are rarely brought to justice because they are protected by the state and church.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met someone who isn't that much older than I am (I'm 34) who had a kid at 13 or 14 and was put in one of those Magdalen laundries. I was shocked they were still around in the 80s.

It's horrific to note that the last one closed in 1996 in Waterford, Ireland. My friend's aunt was a Mother Superior at one of them. She was telling me only the other day that, as a child, when she went to visit her aunt in the early 70's, she was dragged away from talking to one of the girls (inmates more accurately,) and told not to talk to any of them as they were 'filthy.'

Sad and shocking that human beings could treat others like this.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    What reputation????:confused:

I think that is a tad unfair. The majority of Fathers and worshippers do good work and are genuine caring people. For the sake of their reputation and in the hope that these peoples reputations are seen to be what the church is about, you would have thought those at the top would do all they could to make sure the wrong uns were taken to task.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a surprise. The Catholic Church is more corrupt than any government.
  • Options
    Bobby RalgexBobby Ralgex Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've written a poem about this.

But it's bollocks.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a surprise. The Catholic Church is more corrupt than any government.

I'm not so sure about that.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member

As an"escapee" from the Catholic church I'm ONLY interested in the bad things they try to cover up or legitimize in the "Name of religion".You know,the stuff they DON'T want you to know about.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    As an"escapee" from the Catholic church I'm ONLY interested in the bad things they try to cover up or legitimize in the "Name of religion".You know,the stuff they DON'T want you to know about.

Surely there can't be any more to come out:eek:

It can't get any worse....can it?
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,634
    Forum Member

There are some very nice and kind Catholics in my own family and at school some of the priests who taught us were dedicated and delightful people.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Catholics are good helpful people and I have no problem at all saying that while still suggesting they would do well to say goodbye to the organisation itself.