Battleship

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
WHat did you think of this? Did it live up to the hype?

Comments

• The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    If the hype was a high level of mediocrity?

Then yes it did indeed live up to the hype.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Atrocious.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the films that I think will perenially bemuse me really. I went to see it expecting big OTT battle scenes, cheesy dialogue, at least one inexplicably buxom, attractive woman who just happens to be some kind of scientist and some decent CGI.

Ticked all the boxes for me in that respect and I had a great time, so a definite 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Many, many other people, however, clearly went to see it expecting Citizen Kane ..
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well said Jason, it's an escapist pop corn film and for me, a good one but won't be bothering bafta anytime soon
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But even films that "won't bother Bafta" can still be good or bad, this just happened to be bad. And I definitely didn't expect Citizen Kane and I don't really think you believed people did expect it to be that......that's just you trying to justify your enjoyment of it against people who didn't.

It's ok to admit to admit you like shite films, don't use other people's presumed expectations to validate your own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    But even films that "won't bother Bafta" can still be good or bad, this just happened to be bad. And I definitely didn't expect Citizen Kane and I don't really think you believed people did expect it to be that......that's just you trying to justify your enjoyment of it against people who didn't.

It's ok to admit to admit you like shite films, don't use other people's presumed expectations to validate your own.

I think you've taken my post a tad too seriously ..

The Citizen Kane reference,was merely an over exaggeration to make a point that I felt that many people seem to have gone to see the film with overly high expectations.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually quite like it. It's shallow no doubt about that - but its one of those films that is so bad, its good (like Flash Gordon).
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    I actually quite like it. It's shallow no doubt about that - but its one of those films that is so bad, its good (like Flash Gordon).

I agree,wasn't a bad film,wasn't a good film..not as bad as everybody made out though.

Flash gordon is 1 of my favorite films,so bad it's good:D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, anything related to a board game well, you knew what you were in for.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film's mistake is, it was being too subtle. I felt the film actually portrayed the US as the aggressor/enemy and the aliens as innocent/defensive victims, but the intentionally over-the-top cheesiness killed that subtlety.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    One of the films that I think will perenially bemuse me really. I went to see it expecting big OTT battle scenes, cheesy dialogue, at least one inexplicably buxom, attractive woman who just happens to be some kind of scientist and some decent CGI.

Ticked all the boxes for me in that respect and I had a great time, so a definite 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Many, many other people, however, clearly went to see it expecting Citizen Kane ..
    Agree...
    Does what it says on the Tin....great film...and Rhianna is surprisingly good in it too.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »

this was primarily an answer to Jason I presume, but to me there was nothing shit about it, it is a well made blockbuster that meets a certain entertainment value, there are of course classier blockbusters, some of which occassionally do bother bafta or oscar because of a greater complexity, vision or sensibility, that is recognised

shite films, truly shite films, I don't think battleship comes remotely close

however Asylum pictures and their output are pretty shite
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good fx, shame about everything else.:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i too thought it was a good film. We've (son and I) have watched it a few times. Between that and Avengers Assemble lol.

He likes these action movies. Taking him to the cinema to see the new G.I Joe film when it comes out :)
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

This is clearly what some have been missing - it is a big dumb movie - not as good as it could be but Shakespeare it ain't.

(Personally when it comes to Alien Invasion movies Independence Day and Battle Los Angeles did it better)
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    A check your brain at the door film

I enjoyed it as it took my mind off other things for a couple of hours
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said I don't recall it ever being hyped as anything other than it was; a big, dumb and loud popcorn action movie.

It was, so I'd say it exactly met the hype.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good script: No
    Good acting: No
    Good CGI: Yes
    Did I enjoy it: Yes

Stupid, no-brainer (the fact that the Missouri still has enough ordnance on board to wage war is ridiculous). Would love a sequel.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add...

The sneaky inclusion of a bit of Borderlands was a plus.
    (the part where the JPJ kill the first two alien ships, one of the deck gunners does a little 'psycho' motion and there's an audible "Wahh". nice touch if you're a bit nerdy...)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good script: No
    Good acting: No
    Good CGI: Yes
    Did I enjoy it: Yes

Stupid, no-brainer (the fact that the Missouri still has enough ordnance on board to wage war is ridiculous). Would love a sequel.

It also takes about two years to get a battleship out of mothballs.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An awful, awful film in my opinion, 131 minutes of pure unadulterated boredom. The filmmakers actually somehow managed to make an alien invasion tediously dull. How? How exactly did they manage to do that?

For me it fails on all fronts and was without a doubt my worst film of 2012. 1/5 - Atrocious.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it. no worse than transformers.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing, though. It's not an Alien Invasion film. Aliens came to Earth at the U.S.'s 'invitation'.

They interpreted the U.S. probe as a response to their S.O.S. and so they came to Earth. Those aliens were a team of scouts, scientists and explorers on a diplomatic mission, basically.

They were there to scout Earth to see if it could make a good refuge for their people back home. As their planet was tangled up with a global war that was wiping out their people.

When they arrived, they were surprised when the U.S. reacted negatively and aggressively. So they slipped into the self-defensive mode and locked down certain places, to set up communication bases to warn people back home not to follow them to Earth. They weren't interested in killing people - they had never killed unarmed people - or taking over the world.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was awful, one of the worst films I saw last year.

Yes, I know it's a "big dumb leave your brain outside popcorn movie", but there are so many *better* examples of that type of film. This was like a *really bad* Michael Bay / Roland Emmerich film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I thought it was awful, one of the worst films I saw last year.

Yes, I know it's a "big dumb leave your brain outside popcorn movie", but there are so many *better* examples of that type of film. This was like a *really bad* Michael Bay / Roland Emmerich film.

Genuinely interested here - what would you say is a better example ?