Options

Mark Wright - How is he a 'novice' when he attended Sylvia Young stage school?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    They don't need to declare 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' about themselves, but the whole show is predicated on a variety of celebs - with varying levels of experience - learning to dance. We're invited to invest in them and their journey and I think it matters that we get a modicum of 'truth' when it comes to their dance background. Still, the show is moving ever more towards being a scripted reality show these days, so perhaps I shouldn't care :(.

As a footnote though, I do think, when people are paying money to vote, based on what's presented to us, that creating 'fake' stories for celebs is treading a dodgy ethical line.

I don't think any of them are actually lying, just not giving us all the available information.
    However they must know that Google and the internet exist and that we can without much effort find out things they said in 2008 that they may have forgotten about.

All celebrity talent shows cross a dodgy ethical line because many of them will have had previous training purely by being in the profession they are in. It is very obvious to know the ones who haven't but personally I just like to see them improve from whatever level they started off from.
  • Options
    Am DramAm Dram Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Exactly. It is really irritating that they are trying to pretend he is a novice when he isn't. Jake went to a drama school which was solely focused on acting, Mark didn't. It doesn't matter how long ago it was, he has danced before. So him getting off scott free and being dubbed a novice is unfair on the girls who have been criticised massively, and unfair on the viewers who are being lied too.

But clearly Mark is being set up as the journey contestant and will likely do better than superior dancers. Don't get me wrong, the last two weeks have been great, but it is unfair that people have decided point blank they won't enjoy anything Pixie does because she is a ringer yet they will praise Mark for doing something he has NEVER done before :confused:

Don't any of you just watch SCD and enjoy it. Are you all sitting with your ipads/laptops/phones waiting to post something controversial. Saturday nights must be very irritating and stressful for you. Me I just love the mini shows that most of the dancers perform this year, such as Frankie and Kevin last week - I didn't realise she had had ballroom training by the way and apparently had 'sickle' feet so not quite perfect then and still some things to learn!!! ;-)
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyannie wrote: »
    I don't mean Mark any harm but he is a phoney. Any kind of theatre school teaches you movement. For some reason he and Scott are the only two I have really disliked this year.

I usually get annoyed if anyone has had some kind of dance training, but not this year - except for Mark. He needs to tell the truth about what kind of theatre school training he has had. He also needs to stop putting on the waterworks.
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    As far as I know nobody has suggested it has - what some of us are saying is if he attended Sylvia Young school full time then he would have had to attend dance classes and therefore he can hardly be called a dance 'novice'. Training in dance whatever genre will give you skills that you can use for other genres.
    vidalia wrote: »
    A lot of young kids go to Sylvia Young part time classes - just as a lot of actors/performers go to Anna Scher classes. Throughout the country there are three hour Saturday morning classes put on by organisations such as Stagecoach for kids to do one hour drama, one hour singing and one hour dancing. Most do it for fun and to gain confidence, a very few are picked out as having something to make them stand out from the crowd and are taken on with an agency, particularly if they are London based.

My daughter did it for about five years as she loved acting and despite doing five years of one hour's dancing every Saturday, she is terrible at it! If she had become famous and went on Strictly and people had her down as a stage school ringer they would have been very disappointed.

My brother spent three years at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, which of course is mostly about acting, but the course has compulsory weekly dance classes. If my brother were ever to appear on Strictly, he would make Scott look like a dancer.
    It's fair enough that you like him - we can't all share the same likes and dislikes but I think he's the type of personality that divides opinion - I'm sure he does have his admirers but because he lives so much of his life in the public eye there's just as likely to be many people who he rubs up the wrong way.

What people are forgetting is that it is not necessarily the best dancer (ringer or not) who wins Strictly, but the person with whom the Great British Public connects. The ringers who have won (Saint Jill of the Halfpenny and Kara Tointon) were very popular with the voters, while (arguably) the best dancers of their series but who didn't win (Denise Van Outen and Natalie Gumede) were not.

As I have never watched TOWIE, hate football, and don't read the tabloids, I didn't know who Mark Wright was before he appeared on Strictly and I can't be alone in my ignorance. I am enjoying his dancing but don't think he will win.

Oh, and I am not surprised at Bruno endorsing Mark as a complete novice - Bruno utterly forgot that he had once given Pamela Stephenson private dancing lessons.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here's another one from the same year that says he attended Sylvia Young.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/mark-wright-says-peter-andre-281738

Both could be right, since Sylvia Young's is a private school!
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All his friends called him 'Marky No-Moves' - he said so himself. So he set his stall out that he was someone who couldn't dance.

With his progress on SCD, it would seem strange that he could attend a Theatre School that included dance lessons for 10 years and not have learned to dance.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's next year's grand ambition :)

I think if went on 'Make Me An Astronaut' we'd suddenly find that he had spent 8-10 years going to summer camp at NASA or something.
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I think if went on 'Make Me An Astronaut' we'd suddenly find that he had spent 8-10 years going to summer camp at NASA or something.

He's certainly versatile. The Jonathan Miller of reality TV :cool:
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    The only time I'd seen him before this was on IACGMOOH. I expected him to be thick, shallow, vain....you name a fault and I was looking for it. He turned out to be the complete opposite to all these things. Just a thoroughly nice lad with no sides.

I never watched I'm a Celebrity or Towie, so I had no preconceived opinion when I first saw him on Strictly.

Like you, all I have seen is a likeable guy who puts 100% effort into his dancing every week, and that to me is what the show is all about. I love his enthusiasm and will continue to vote for him for as long as he improves. :)
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    That's next year's grand ambition :)

It's 'Celebrity Masterchef' next surely? And then we find out that as well as training to be a footballer and attending the prestigious Sylvia Young stage school he was also a trainee chef under Marco Pierre White and he wants to realise his ambition of opening a chain of high end restaurants in Essex :D:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be such a cynic but can we be absolutely certain that he did really go the Sylvia Young Theatre School? As far as I can see he played in the youth team for Tottenham. Can you do that and go to theatre school? After all we've only got an alleged interview with him and we know how flimsy that can be when it comes to hard evidence.
  • Options
    marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be such a cynic but can we be absolutely certain that he did really go the Sylvia Young Theatre School? As far as I can see he played in the youth team for Tottenham. Can you do that and go to theatre school? After all we've only got an alleged interview with him and we know how flimsy that can be when it comes to hard evidence.

No, we cant. So either he is lying when he says he went or he is lying when he accepts he is never danced before.

In any case, he is not telling the truth.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    marinamau wrote: »
    No, we cant. So either he is lying when he says he went or he is lying when he accepts he is never danced before.

In any case, he is not telling the truth.

and who on earth would want to support a liar, let alone vote for them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and who on earth would want to support a liar, let alone vote for them?

Actually I didn't mean to imply that he was lying. I was just suggesting that the press may have had one of their more creative moments.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Actually I didn't mean to imply that he was lying. I was just suggesting that the press may have had one of their more creative moments.

Well that's always possible of course but I doubt they would even bother with Mark. I mean what have they got to gain by doing it?
  • Options
    Natalie_CrannyNatalie_Cranny Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I think he focussed on football from 15 - he signed a contract at 16, so I'd be surprised if he had time to perform/dance/act etc from then...

I think people are giving him a hard time tbh - I wasn't his biggest fan prior to this - but do you know what - I think he's a really sweet guy. So good luck to him - I'll be voting for him if he continues to dance as well as he did on Saturday.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mark Wright attended Roding Valley High School in Essex as as did his brother and sisters. They do have a drama department there and he could have studied mime hence his niffy footwork.

It’s all illusion and the question should be does anyone know if he attended drama classes at Roding Valley High, an especially tricky question to answer when he is supposed to have attended Sylvia Young’s Threatre School. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    Mark Wright attended Roding Valley High School in Essex as as did his brother and sisters. They do have a drama department there and he could have studied mime hence his niffy footwork.

It’s all illusion and the question should be does anyone know if he attended drama classes at Roding Valley High, an especially tricky question to answer when he is supposed to have attended Sylvia Young’s Threatre School. ;-)

Sheesh! You've got to hand it to the guy; he was certainly multi-tasking during his teenage years....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do Saturday morning and Thursday evening classes. You don't need to audition to join them, just be on their waiting list and when you get in, pay the fees of £115 per subject per term. You choose whether you do acting, singing, dancing or all of them but pay per subject. Classes are 50 minutes long. They also do holiday classes.

http://www.syts.co.uk/page/?title=Part+Time+Classes&pid=7
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that when Mark Wright inevitably turns up on Dancing on Ice, the red tops reveal his secret past as an Olympic standard figure skater.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that when Mark Wright inevitably turns up on Dancing on Ice, the red tops reveal his secret past as an Olympic standard figure skater.

He's missed the boat on that one - it was the last series this year :cool:
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is from 2005, so prior to any TOWIE stuff
    http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/meet_the_trialist__mark_wright_228894/index.shtml

As I said pages back, I think the Sylvia Young stuff is bullshit.
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so now I know that my son who played rugby at club, county and country level from 13 to 18, captained several games, and stopped playing at that level due to injury, actually played at a semi proffessional level.
    I must remember to tell him 😀

It appears. Mr Wright likes to embellish a little. It would be so nice to know what he actually did do. Anyone fancy putting an ad in stage news to find out if anyone went to Sylvia young?

Personally I find this all a bit icky and think the marvellous novice dancing is a fabrication as well.

The life and times of Walter Mitty come to mind. 😳
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's missed the boat on that one - it was the last series this year :cool:

I'm starting to think that won't matter - he could just pop it on his cv anyway :p
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never watched I'm a Celebrity or Towie, so I had no preconceived opinion when I first saw him on Strictly.

Like you, all I have seen is a likeable guy who puts 100% effort into his dancing every week, and that to me is what the show is all about. I love his enthusiasm and will continue to vote for him for as long as he improves. :)

Awww..........that's so nice and I like MW too. :D
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »

It appears. Mr Wright likes to embellish a little. It would be so nice to know what he actually did do. Anyone fancy putting an ad in stage news to find out if anyone went to Sylvia young?
    Are you really serious?
    Have you nothing better to do?