Options

Sky news showing CBS news

LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
Forum Member
Why do sky news show CBS news at night. If I remember correctly the parent company of sky news is news corporation, which also owns fox news. So why do they show CBS and not fox news, sky's sister channel.

Sorry for the strange and random question. :P

Comments

• Options
    xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think because you can watch Fox News on Sky anyway
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Because Fox News anchors are batshit insane.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOX News channel is available on Sky anyway.

The CBS bulletin they show is the 6.30pm evening news in the US - like ITV or BBC evening news here. The FOX network doesn't have a national evening news broadcast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    The same reason BBC news24 show ABC news. because most of the uk are in bed and they can't show what we are getting upto, so any new reports will probably be from the USA who are awake while we sleep. :sleep:
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replys, that clears it up. The CBS bulletin isn't LCD though is it?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV show large chunks of the NBC Nightly News in their 0530 news most mornings - presumably it's an easy way to fill the programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Fox TV network don't have a nightly news show like ABC,CBS,NBC.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the 21 years of Sky News they've shown all three US network nightly news programmes.

For the first few years they also showed one or two half hour segments of all three networks' breakfast shows too.

Put UK breakfast TV to shame (the first few weeks of TV-am excepted, which was based on the US models).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    ITV show large chunks of the NBC Nightly News in their 0530 news most mornings - presumably it's an easy way to fill the programme.

NBC Nightly News is on CNBC as well at 11.30 every evening. I watch it :)
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    When the ITV News Channel was around, they used to air the NBC programme in full.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    When the ITV News Channel was around, they used to air the NBC programme in full.

It eventually moved to CNBC though, probably after ITV News was closed down.
  • Options
    excel99excel99 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    FOX network doesn't have a national evening news broadcast.
    Also Fox TV network don't have a nightly news show like ABC,CBS,NBC.
    Fox News do have the FOXReport, a nightly hour long 'straight' newscast - their version of a network newscast
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard we might be getting Fox HD...swooooosh

All your favourite neo cons and right wing nut jobs in glorious HD
  • Options
    Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One reason is to give downtime to the studio.

When BBC/Sky show another News Channel then they can do work on their own studios like letting the cleaners in / allow technical work.
  • Options
    davies88davies88 Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    The FOX network doesn't have a national evening news broadcast.

Sky could show Special Report. I wish Sky would play some music over live video going into breaks like Fox News Channel does relating to the next story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    excel99 wrote: »
    Fox News do have the FOXReport, a nightly hour long 'straight' newscast - their version of a network newscast

Yes but only on the Fox news channel,the only time Fox Tv have a news program is when there is an eletion.On sunday they have Fox news sunday which is a bit like meet the press on NBC.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Sky maybe showing CBS for half an hour or so but during the regular Sky News service they either rely on their own Robert Nisbet for American reports or they resort to local Fox News correspondents.
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I recall when I first got Sky, Sky News used to show a lot of ABC News shows, including Good Morning America, Nightline with Ted Koppel, and their evening and nightly World News -remember the late Peter Jennings?! He was still the anchor when it transferred to the BBC a few years ago.

The CBS news programmes included the Evening News with Dan Rather, and 60 Minutes.

I think I recall that the NBC news was the first to be regularly re-broadcast in the UK via the ITN early morning news when ITV started its 24 hour service.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky maybe showing CBS for half an hour or so but during the regular Sky News service they either rely on their own Robert Nisbet for American reports or they resort to local Fox News correspondents.

Greg Milam is based in Washington too. Also, Hannah Thomas-Peter has recently been filing reports from New York.
  • Options
    remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    Sadly no-one shows Newshour with Jim Lehrer which airs on PBS stations. The best nightly news cast in the US I think and Jim ads a bit of gravitas that the other big 3 anchors kind of lack.

Reminds me of Channel 4 7pm News.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I heard we might be getting Fox HD...swooooosh

All your favourite neo cons and right wing nut jobs in glorious HD

Interesting... now all I need is CNBC or Bloomberg HD and I'd be one happy gal :D
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Fox News anchors are batshit insane.
    If anyone doubts this, checl out Bill O'Reilly on Youtube -
    SHUT UP!!!!!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If anyone doubts this, checl out Bill O'Reilly on Youtube -
    SHUT UP!!!!!:eek:

I've heard of him. Never watched him though so I might check him out on Youtube.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NBC Nightly News is on CNBC as well at 11.30 every evening. I watch it :)

Me too.

I used to love watching the breakfast show, Today, on NBC Super Channel.
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard of him. Never watched him though so I might check him out on Youtube.
    Check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIVnwYGU9Qo