Options

Sad cat

seal bseal b Posts: 541
Forum Member
✭✭
I've always had 2 cats, star and her son fluffy but a few weeks ago Star was run over and killed. Since then fluffy has been very withdrawn. He's still eating but he used up be really lively and happy but now he goes upstairs and stays there most of the day. I try and give him lots of attention but he doesn't respond as much which is sad because he was the most affectionate cat I've ever had :( Is there anything I can do or do you think he'll come round soon? I just hate seeing him like this, he's really lost a little spark that he had.

Comments

• Options
    Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss. Hopefully Fluffy will perk up soon. Cats do grieve and, as I was told by my vet, they get depressed as well. He is missing his mum, but a lot of cats do come to terms with their loss - give it time and lots of love.

You can read lots of accounts on here from people who have lost a cat and how their remaining cat reacted. Many of them got over their loss, and hopefully it'll be the same for your cat Fluffy. Others, like my boy Shadow, don't come to terms with it and then it may be an idea to get another cat - it worked for me. But I wouldn't rush into making a decision like that until both you and Fluffy have had time to grieve for Star and then decide if it is the right decision for you.

You may find this useful:

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/euthanasia/bereavement.html
  • Options
    seal bseal b Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much :) that link was really helpful.