Does Eurovision include euro dramas?

minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
Forum Member
I have always found it rather strange that we have the nordic noir, and other european dramas discussed in UK TV :D

I am currently watching Spiral 2 on BBC4, having never seen it when it was first aired.

The eurovision I have most enjoyed is The Killing (Danish version- can't get my head around the US remake:eek:) both series I loved. I also loved The Bridge: the danish/Swedish production. Borgen was enjoyable but not as thrilling, as was sebastian Bergman. The turkey (but I still watched) was Those Who Kill. :p

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is mainly for the song contest but I really enjoyed The Bridge was full of twists and turns, and I liked the killing US though, saw an episode of the Danish version but didn't get into it.
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    this is mainly for the song contest but I really enjoyed The Bridge was full of twists and turns, and I liked the killing US though, saw an episode of the Danish version but didn't get into it.

Hi Phil, thanks for the response. :)

Are you watching the US series 2 of the Killing? A shame you didn't get into the danish version, they were really good, but glad you liked The Bridge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I'm watching season 2 of the killing, still baffled by it, I think I didn't get into the Danish show because I didn't watch it from the first episode.
    Forum Member
    They have changed the storyline a bit, so we don't know who killed Rosie Larson, but it does seem to leap about randomly :)

have you watched any of the other euro dramas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not any of the other series but I did enjoy the Icelandic film Jar City, saw it on TV a few years ago.
    Forum Member
    I think The Girl with The Dragon tattoo is on Film 4 tonight: I shall be watching that.

'Let the right one in' was another nordic film I enjoyed, I believe that has been remade for the english language (won't read a subtitle) audience. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just going to say that GWDT is on, but I had forgotten that it was on tonight, so would have missed it without your post!

I started reading the book, got about 100 pages and couldn't get further, but Daniel Craig might help :)

Loved Jar City maybe top of the Euro-dunnits for me. The lead character is my second favourite character after Troels

Who's your favourite female lead?

Killing
    Bergen
    TWK
    Bridge

It's hard to beat Sarah but I can identify with the aspergic woman in the Bridge so I would have to say her, loved the leather pants :o

Sebastian was Wallander? (actor)

Did you watch Montalbano?

Did you want to talk about the Spiral plot? Sorry, I'm not much good with plots.:mad:

:)
    Forum Member
    Tonight's GWTDT is the original Swedish adaptation :)

I've not seen jar city, but I shall look out for it now.

I've not really worked out the plot of Spiral as yet: the Killing (1&2) were great fun with plot theories! I really miss the euro crowd in one thread :(

Seb was wallander yes ;) and I watched some of the Mentalbaldo, but they were a bit too long and dated for me- or rather I didn't really have the time and inclination to watch them all.:o
  • DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go minkski! I'm going to love this thread. :D:cool:

GWDT is very good. Naomi Rapace is superb in it. :cool: Well worth a watch for anyone who's not seen it yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not any of the other series but I did enjoy the Icelandic film Jar City, saw it on TV a few years ago.

Jar City's very bleak isn't it? No-one does bleak better than the nordics. ;) I think I saw it a while back but can't really remember it very well.
    Forum Member
    Denley wrote: »
    Go minkski! I'm going to love this thread. :D:cool:

GWDT is very good. Naomi Rapace is superb in it. :cool: Well worth a watch for anyone who's not seen it yet.

We'll have to see if the usual suspects find it/want to just chatter :) But thanks for the support :D

Sarah or Saga? I like them both :D It's wierd seeing Lund as a prosecutor on the US remake though :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wappaho wrote: »
    Loved Jar City maybe top of the Euro-dunnits for me. The lead character is my second favourite character after Troels

Who's your favourite female lead?

Killing
    Bergen
    TWK
    Bridge

It's hard to beat Sarah but I can identify with the aspergic woman in the Bridge so I would have to say her, loved the leather pants :o

Sebastian was Wallander? (actor)

Did you watch Montalbano?

Did you want to talk about the Spiral plot? Sorry, I'm not much good with plots.:mad:

:)

Sarah Lund's a difficult act to follow isn't she? but I loved Saga Nóren in The Bridge too - she made me laugh! :D and Birgitte Nyborg in Borgen was great too.

The Scandi's create some great roles for their actresses.

Yes Rolf Lassgård (he played Sebastian Bergman) was the original Wallander - but I've not seen any of those yet.

I've seen The Killing 1 & 2, Mentalbaldo, The Bridge, Those Who Kill, a lot of the Wallanders, Borgen and Spiral I, II & III.

I'm currently watching Braquo series 1 on DVD with miss D - we're half way through it now and it's very good too. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minkski wrote: »
    We'll have to see if the usual suspects find it/want to just chatter :) But thanks for the support :D

Sarah or Saga? I like them both :D It's wierd seeing Lund as a prosecutor on the US remake though :p

Well I hope a few find it too :) Does England v Sweden count as Eurovision too? :D
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking that to keep up with the rest of you when (I assume) BBC4 starts showing series 4 of Spiral, I shall need to have watched 1 and 3 as well :o

Any clues as to whether Spiral 3 will be re run before 4?:confused:
    Forum Member
    Well I hope a few find it too :) Does England v Sweden count as Eurovision too? :D

Of course! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little birdie tipped me off about this thread.;):D:D You lot get everywhere. Like sand at the beach.

Thanks for the headsup about TGWTDT. I really like the Swedish Trilogy. I may get shunned for saying this. But I think Daniel Craig's version is better.

PS
    First ever post in the Eurovision Forum. But I know Verence is a fan of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minkski wrote: »
    I'm thinking that to keep up with the rest of you when (I assume) BBC4 starts showing series 4 of Spiral, I shall need to have watched 1 and 3 as well :o

Any clues as to whether Spiral 3 will be re run before 4?:confused:

No idea but it makes sense for BBC4 to show S3 again to get everyone on the bandwagon before S4 doesn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little birdie tipped me off about this thread.;):D:D You lot get everywhere. Like sand at the beach.

Thanks for the headsup about TGWTDT. I really like the Swedish Trilogy. I may get shunned for saying this. But I think Daniel Craig's version is better.

PS

and the first BIB of the thread is a LOL :D

Evening BK. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS

welcome to the forum, we are a friendly bunch usually. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the first BIB of the thread is a LOL :D

Evening BK. :D

Hello from Barnsley

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Beer and footie now. Trois points for England is my prediction;):D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good to hear phil :)
    Hello from Barnsley

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Beer and footie now. Trois points for England is my prediction;):D:D

right here we go....can't DS and watch football so ta ta for now. :)
  • sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    The only Nordic crime drama that I've watched is The Bridge but I watched it intently! Over the weeks I became so entranced by Saga. She's my current desktop background. Very much looking forward to it coming back.

I watched the first episode of The Killing and really enjoyed it but never followed it up. I have the dvd of 1 so it's only a mater of time before I get around to it.

Let The Right One In - loved both the book and film. I don't usually go for remakes but Let Me In intrigues me as Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit McPhee are talented kids.

I loved the Millennium Trilogy but have yet to get around to seeing either the Swedish or US adaptations.

I've read Jar City but not seen the film. Actual Song Contest link there as the troubled daughter is played by Ágústa Eva Erlendsdóttir who also plays Silvia Night, Iceland's 2006 entrant!

(Also watching Sweden vs England.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbrum1984 wrote: »
    The only Nordic crime drama that I've watched is The Bridge but I watched it intently! Over the weeks I became so entranced by Saga. She's my current desktop background. Very much looking forward to it coming back.

I watched the first episode of The Killing and really enjoyed it but never followed it up. I have the dvd of 1 so it's only a mater of time before I get around to it.

Let The Right One In - loved both the book and film. I don't usually go for remakes but Let Me In intrigues me as Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit McPhee are talented kids.

I loved the Millennium Trilogy but have yet to get around to seeing either the Swedish or US adaptations.

I've read Jar City but not seen the film. Actual Song Contest link there as the troubled daughter is played by Ágústa Eva Erlendsdóttir who also plays Silvia Night, Iceland's 2006 entrant!

Are Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit McPhee the same two actors from Let the Right One In? I'll have to watch Let Me In at somepoint.

The Millenium Trilogy films were well done but I've not seen the Daniel Craig film so can't compare the different versions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England v Sweden - enjoyed that drama :D - it started well, fell away badly during the middle but had a great twist and kept me biting my nails to the end. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Oooh, this is interesting! Seeing as the DS mods don't know what to do with us, maybe we can have a "TV: Euro" forum where we can hide all the Eurovision + Euro crime threads - that way, I'd never need to leave here ;)

I love all the crime dramas, and almost love lurking in the DS threads even more. Seeing people pick apart the shows and try and work out the ending really adds to the enjoyment. Still got Braquo 2 and Borgen sat on my Sky+ box, but am up to date with the other BBC4 series.

I thought the two Danish Killings were the most gripping dramas, but even the US Killing redeemed itself once it stopped trying to clone the original episodes and get a life of it's own. And no doubt like many others, I fell head over heels in love with Saga. The French dramas are wonderfully dark, although enjoy Spiral more than Braquo because it feels more consistently "real". And not quite the same genre, Night Shift was excellent - shame BBC4 haven't shown any more yet.

I've also worked my way through a fair chunk of the popular Nordic crime books as well. Apart from the obvious Dragon Tattoo, the Reykjavik Murders are my favourites. Mankell and Nesser are great, Jo Nesbo is fun but is a little too fluffy airport fiction for my tastes, Didn't get on with Anne Holt at all.

sbrum1984 wrote: »
    This is the closest I intend to ever get to "Sweden vs England":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9oFxntxSQE
    ;)