Sunderland 2013-14

LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK lads and lasses, time for a new SAFC thread for a new season.

So what are everyone's hopes, dreams and realistic predictions? It's really hard to say as with so many new signings it is going to be like watching a brand new team but I have been encouraged by PDC transfer dealings so far.

Comments

• oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paulo di Canio.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A whippet like start before fading (or Di Canio exploding) a 15th-17th place finish.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Just seen Danny Graham gone to hull that didn't last long
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly nervous, could go either way, huge success or total embarrassment.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly nervous, could go either way, huge success or total embarrassment.

The first three games are the key. All are winnable (Fulham,. Southampton and Palace) before we have a bad run of games. If we win none of them then it is going to look like a long slog of a season.

The good thing about so many new signings is that if we don't know how they will play then the opposition won't have a bloody clue either!
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I've heard PDC has got the players on a new training regimen that they're hating. I hope he does well but I can't see him being there long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    I've heard PDC has got the players on a new training regimen that they're hating. I hope he does well but I can't see him being there long.

Based on the pre-season games I've seen the squad is certainly a lot fitter than under Bruce or MON and Alan Johnson seems to be responding especially well. If a few players don't like it then get bugger off to Hull but the question is whether he can keep the squad united.

Mind you, a West Ham supporting friend reckons that PDC will be their manager within a year. I'm not sure I'd bet much against it as anything could happen this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DiCanio to West Ham thing reminds me of the Keane as a Man Utd manager in waiting idea (not saying they are similar managers just the end destination)

I think people are predicting a struggle for Sunderland because they generally do struggle, they've had a lot of change and a new manager with a reputation.

I honestly can't see relegation but I can see a top 9 or clinging on at the end. I don't see a middle ground!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, a rather underwhelming first two league games but hopefully tonight's cup result will kick start the season. I don't think I can ever remember us scoring 4 goals in 12 minutes before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Lord this could be a long season.

Who would have thought 3 weeks into a new season we'd be playing Ji and Wickham up front and Vaughan and Larsson in CM.

Well done to Palace. Comfortably the best team in the first half, dangerous on the break after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened with Ji?

He looked like he was in a bit of a huff, I assume PDC world famous man management came down with force?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno. He looked close to tears.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Sunderland is like one big accident waiting to happen. Di Canio will be gone by Christmas, let's just hope it's not too late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the game and I don't think I've been so depressed leaving a ground in years. The first half was just about the worst I have ever seen us play. The second half was better but a total of one shot on target against one of the worst teams in the league (apart from us) tells its own story. No fight, no creativity no nothing.

At this rate PDC could be gone before Christmas but where so we go from there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poyet? Holloway? McDermott (Brian not Terry!)

I caught the whole of the PDC interview on Radio Newcastle and it was nothing like the hatchet job that MOTD did on it.

I just have a feeling there's an agenda and knives are out for PDC and Sunderland and at the first slip things will go downhill fast.

But I do feel for LF, what do Sunderland do?

They've had the respected man mangers and experience in Bruce, McCarthy, Wilkinson and O'Neill - all of them basically failed.

They've had the passion of Keane - failed and now DiCanio - (too soon to judge?)

I guess it depends on what they judge success as. Should a team getting around 30-40k a week and one of the biggest net spenders in the past 5 years be happy there's been no European football since the 70s (and one season at that).

Aside the 7th place finishes under Reid they've really never done anything. It's almost like they are cursed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what they judge success as. Should a team getting around 30-40k a week and one of the biggest net spenders in the past 5 years be happy there's been no European football since the 70s (and one season at that).

Aside the 7th place finishes under Reid they've really never done anything. It's almost like they are cursed

That has to be the reason. The club is cursed. Owners, players and managers change but the club remains the same. SAFC is in the top 10 clubs in the country in terms of attendances and fan base but has consistently failed to deliver. If the PDC "revolution" fails then I really don't know where we go next.