ITV once the football goes

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This May ITV will lose the FA Cup to the BBC and BT, and the following May all their European football goes to BT( apart from an hour of highlights on Wednesdays). This means Saturday and Sunday afternoons will be devoid of live football next year and Tuesdays and Thursdays( mostly for ITV 4) will be football free from May 2015 onwards.
While the FA Cup matches can easily be replaced by You've Been Framed and a family film, I wonder what ITV will do with Tuesday nights once the Champions League and FA Cup replays go. ( ITV 4 will probably just stick on action films on Thursday nights). Will ITV, who struggle badly on non football nights, now turn Tuesdays back to showing two hour dramas, or an entertainment format like All Star Family Fortunes followed by a light drama like Benidorm? I do hope for non football fans ITV use Tuesdays to provide a real alternative to dreary Holby City and grim police dramas on BBC One.

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they will be able to get rid of Adrian Chiles who will have no football to present and I see is trying to worm his way back into the BBC via 5Live.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When itv loses the football in the next few years they will probably fill that time with what they like to show and what their schedules are dominated by and that is soaps. Stand by for hour long emmerdale on tuesday and thursday. For the record i dont believe that itv are that interested in sport and that goes for many other genres away from soaps and reality programming
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    This May ITV will lose the FA Cup to the BBC and BT, and the following May all their European football goes to BT( apart from an hour of highlights on Wednesdays). This means Saturday and Sunday afternoons will be devoid of live football next year and Tuesdays and Thursdays( mostly for ITV 4) will be football free from May 2015 onwards.
    While the FA Cup matches can easily be replaced by You've Been Framed and a family film, I wonder what ITV will do with Tuesday nights once the Champions League and FA Cup replays go. ( ITV 4 will probably just stick on action films on Thursday nights). Will ITV, who struggle badly on non football nights, now turn Tuesdays back to showing two hour dramas, or an entertainment format like All Star Family Fortunes followed by a light drama like Benidorm? I do hope for non football fans ITV use Tuesdays to provide a real alternative to dreary Holby City and grim police dramas on BBC One.

I think you may be overestimating the amount of broadcasting time that ITV spends on football. There are something like 13-14 weeks of champions league football and maybe 6-7 weeks of FA cup ties. And as they overlap it means ITV are only showing either 1/3 of the weeks of each year. Of course it will make them rethink their approach as Champions league bought in large advertising revenue and it now being on BT Sports means there's a large football audience who won't be able to watch it full stop.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv retain the England internationals, plus itv4 gets extra international rights. Itv continue to have CL and Europa highlights on Wednesday and Thursday nights.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    When itv loses the football in the next few years they will probably fill that time with what they like to show and what their schedules are dominated by and that is soaps. Stand by for hour long emmerdale on tuesday and thursday. For the record i dont believe that itv are that interested in sport and that goes for many other genres away from soaps and reality programming

I think you are overestimating the amount of soaps on ITV: ITV shows more regional news than it does soaps.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    At least they will be able to get rid of Adrian Chiles who will have no football to present and I see is trying to worm his way back into the BBC via 5Live.

ITV actually removed their exclusivity on Chiles' contract months before the respective announcements of the rights losses.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do ITV really struggle then on non football nights?
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    I think you are overestimating the amount of soaps on ITV: ITV shows more regional news than it does soaps.

Are you including the regional news in Daybreak in this calculation?
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Show your working out, they were certainly interested in the football they just couldn't justify the outlay given the return they would've got on the football.

Away from the 3 or 4 stand out shows, ITV don't show a lot of reality television on a day to day basis. They've also improved drastically high quality drama in recent years and documentary output.
    Are you including the regional news in Daybreak in this calculation?
    It's not a technically untrue statement to make even if he is.
    At least they will be able to get rid of Adrian Chiles who will have no football to present
    They'll still need someone to host the live England games, the two highlights programmes on European weeks and major championships. If he was to do the Europa League highlights he could still have a similar amount of work to now from ITV.
    I see is trying to worm his way back into the BBC via 5Live.
    Not really sure I think your tone is fair there, he was available and it makes perfect sense for him to do such a gig.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FA Cup Third Round highlights introduced by Matt Smith

ITV, 11.05 pm Saturday January 4

Says it all really......
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they will bring back The Bill :D

Or get England Rugby internationals to complement the England football.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FA Cup Third Round highlights introduced by Matt Smith

ITV, 11.05 pm Saturday January 4

Says it all really......
    That says FA Cup highlights are currently introduced by Matt Smith.

But don't let logical thought get in the way of an ftv post.
    Or get England Rugby internationals to complement the England football.
    It's been said many times ITV wouldn't make their money back on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That says FA Cup highlights are currently introduced by Matt Smith.

I appreciate it's a bit of a coup to get Dr Who to present the highlights but I was drawing attention to the time it is scheduled.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

Who cares what happens to ITV as long as we get Tv from someone,:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate it's a bit of a coup to get Dr Who to present the highlights but I was drawing attention to the time it is scheduled.
    What's FA Cup highlights got to do with it? They're not going to have them anyway and Champions League highlights will be a bigger gig than they are now, due to the lack of live games on free to air TV. They'll be on not much later than Match of the Day currently is and could be on earlier for all we know.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's only 35 minutes later than the MOTD start time last night (and only 15 minutes later than the New Year's Day start time for MOTD).

11.05pm on a Saturday is ideal for people coming in from a night out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Who cares what happens to ITV as long as we get Tv from someone,:)
    I think your find this forum is for discussing the television industry, what broadcasters strategies are and what we think of their perfomance.
    SouthCity wrote: »
    It's only 35 minutes later than the MOTD start time last night (and only 15 minutes later than the New Year's Day start time for MOTD).

11.05pm on a Saturday is ideal for people coming in from a night out.
    And it's not relevant to the conversation, make sure he knows that. :)
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's FA Cup highlights got to do with it? They're not going to have them anyway and Champions League highlights will be a bigger gig than they are now, due to the lack of live games on free to air TV. They'll be on not much later than Match of the Day currently is and could be on earlier for all we know.

Aren't BT looking at a FTA game each week?
    So no different to the Champions League currently??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't BT looking at a FTA game each week?
    So no different to the Champions League currently??
    No, BT have said they'll show a selection of live games FTA including the final, showing each British club atleast once. On that basis we could guess between 5 and 10 games will be shown FTA overall poorer picks than now and to much lower audiences by being on BT rather than one of the biggest two channels.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe bring back The Bill & Taggart
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Maybe bring back The Bill & Taggart

Taggart was killed by the decision to reduce it to one hour episodes and the fact English audiences were no longer interested. The Bill had also reached the end of its shelf life.
    I think with the football gone, ITV have a golden opportunity to rebuild Tuesdays and having two and a half hours free of this boring game is an ideal opportunity.
    I would say the best way to go about a football free Tuesday would be to have a game show at 7.30 as an alternative to Eastenders, then a two hour drama on the lines of Midsomer Murders at 8.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will ITV 4 then drop the claim

"home of sport and cult classics"
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Home of sports other than football, actually as a fan of sports other than football, I think ITV could spend the money saved on new sports.
    Also this might sound like I'm living in the past, but ITV should never have dropped racing and dropped out of wrestling just as the American version was taking off.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV4 doesn't claim to be "home of sport" - I think you'll find that's Sky Sports' tagline.

ITV4 is "the channel for real fans", and the loss of 23 Europa League games won't make a massive impact in the number of hours of sport it shows over the course of a year.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV4 has loads of sport regardless of the EL.