Options

Labour: Maths and English tests for the unemployed

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Maybe not, but if you don't have the skills to write a CV or fill in an application form then it's not going to help you get a job is it?

All this policy says is that if you refuse training then you'd lose your benefits. If you are out of a job and don't have basic numeracy and literacy skills then why wouldn't you want some help?

The the law should apply to every one. Even those in jobs. I do not want to be served by someone who doesn't have a basic understanding of the 3 Rs.

This is an attack on the unemployed. it is not about education, because they would not have attack further education funding if that was the case.
  • Options
    Emyj74Emyj74 Posts: 2,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is discrimination. It is only being done to people on benefits.

Do thick people not have the right to work?

No one has the right to a job. Unless someone has special needs then there is no reason for a person not to be able to learn basic skills which may assist them getting a job.

I cant see why anyone really wanting to work would be against gaining skills which may assist them getting work. I agree that this should be opened up to a range of basic skills not just maths and english.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The the law should apply to every one. Even those in jobs. I do not want to be served by someone who doesn't have a basic understanding of the 3 Rs.

That's down to the employer. I've often had to do numeracy, literacy and other aptitude tests (including those ghastly physiological profiles) when applying for jobs. In the case of the unemployed, the government is the "employer".
    Do thick people not have the right to work?

So what type of work should "thick" people do, if you don't want to be served by them?

Maybe the Labour policy unit has some vacancies.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Labour are carrying on with Benefit bashing along with the Tories.

It has not been proved that people who are unemployed do not get jobs because they lack an education.

Labour are getting as disgusting as the Tories when it comes to bashing those on benefits.This IS discrimination against the unemployed, as there are workers who have poor educations too.

But it wont stop you voting for them though;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emyj74 wrote: »
    No one has the right to a job. Unless someone has special needs then there is no reason for a person not to be able to learn basic skills which may assist them getting a job.

I cant see why anyone really wanting to work would be against gaining skills which may assist them getting work. I agree that this should be opened up to a range of basic skills not just maths and english.

It is the threat of losing benefits that is the problem.

These things are always low level. Why not help people become pop stars or TV presenters?

Not just low level workers.

Someone who can't spell or do low level maths might have other skills that will help them get a career, let alone a job.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is treating the symptoms rather than the cause which is a poor education system but to suggest everyone in work is subject to such a test is patently ridiculous.
    This is an attack on the unemployed. it is not about education, because they would not have attack further education funding if that was the case.

Further education shouldn't be about teaching the 3 Rs, if it is then all that time in school was to no avail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's down to the employer. I've often had to do numeracy, literacy and other aptitude tests (including those ghastly physiological profiles) when applying for jobs. In the case of the unemployed, the government is the "employer".

Aren't those normally the brain child of the recruitment agencies used by many businesses?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not help people become pop stars or TV presenters?

Simon Cowell will be appearing at a Jobcentre near you. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Aren't those normally the brain child of the recruitment agencies used by many businesses?

Yes, online aptitude testing is becoming increasingly common in recruitment. When you have a large number of applications it is a useful way of cutting the list down to a handful of people to interview.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

These things are always low level. Why not help people become pop stars or TV presenters?

Please as if there are not enough wannabe presenters in the world as it is and even a presenter is going to need the ability to read - even if it is just the autocue. News presenters need to be able to read and comprehend it as well, since they often go on to interview people.
    Someone who can't spell or do low level maths might have other skills that will help them get a career, let alone a job.

Pretty much most jobs require at least a basic understanding of English and maths. Even a bricklayer is going to need to work out how many bricks they need.

If people do not have even these basic skills - then what is wrong with making sure they get them, and if there are jobs which do not require them please list them - because off the top of my head I'm struggling to think of any.
  • Options
    Emyj74Emyj74 Posts: 2,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the threat of losing benefits that is the problem.

Not just low level workers.

There are plenty of course available at various colleges for people to learn any skill they want.

People will only loses their benefits if they are not doing anything and not willing to attend these courses.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it is discrimination. It is only being done to people on benefits.

Perhaps because those who are in work don't need help, er, finding work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Perhaps because those who are in work don't need help, er, finding work?

Yet they need help with the 3 Rs.

So it is OK to have uneducated people in work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emyj74 wrote: »
    There are plenty of course available at various colleges for people to learn any skill they want.

People will only loses their benefits if they are not doing anything and not willing to attend these courses.

No, they lose benefits because they fail a test that only those people on benefits have to take.

Workers are not forced to take this test to see if they should be paid.

This is about scapegoating the unemployed.

P.s. there are not plenty of courses by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they lose benefits because they fail a test that only those people on benefits have to take.

From the first paragraph in the BBC report. Bolding is mine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25803006
    Unemployed people who lack basic English, maths and computing skills should be stripped of benefits unless they take up training, Labour says.

I really can't believe I'm helping defend this Labour policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yet they need help with the 3 Rs.

So it is OK to have uneducated people in work?

Even 20 odd years ago - you needed Maths and English to even be considered for a job. You could not even get an interview for a entry level job in the Civil Service without GCE 'O' Level C in both English and Maths. More and more jobs are requiring at least these as basic skills - if you can think of any that do not - then please list them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even 20 odd years ago - you needed Maths and English to even be considered for a job. You could not even get an interview for a entry level job in the Civil Service without GCE 'O' Level C in both English and Maths. More and more jobs are requiring at least these as basic skills - if you can think of any that do not - then please list them.

No one is unemployed because of a lack of education. Even the most uneducated of people can get a job as a cleaner of similar type job.

Only those who have problems beyond educations can not get a job.

This IS an attack on the unemployed and an attempt to scape goat them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the first paragraph in the BBC report. Bolding is mine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25803006

I really can't believe I'm helping defend this Labour policy.
    It is funny that they are taking training away from people, yet forcing them to do training.

What is it? Training is good? or not Good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one is unemployed because of a lack of education. Even the most uneducated of people can get a job as a cleaner of similar type job.

Cleaner, so that is one - as long as they do not need to go out and buy the cleaning solvents. Even then they need to be able to read the label and to receive no-verbal instructions, they still need to be able to understand spoken English.
    Only those who have problems beyond educations can not get a job.

Well if it helped detect those with say Dyslexia then this would be a good thing would it not.
    This IS an attack on the unemployed and an attempt to scape goat them.

No it is not, it is about making sure that people have the basic skills to do a job and get them off benefits. There are fewer jobs where you can get away with having these two qualifications.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    But it wont stop you voting for them though;-)

Exactly! People are still going to vote for them, regardless of what they'll do.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido has nailed it.

English Test

Do you Want To Claim Benefits?

Maths Test

How much do you want?

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

No it is not, it is about making sure that people have the basic skills to do a job and get them off benefits. There are fewer jobs where you can get away with having these two qualifications.

It has not been proved or shown how many people on benefits are there because of a lack of education.

As I keep saying but everyone ignores. There are 500,000 jobs and 3 million people looking for a job.

It seems even those with math skills can not work that one out.

But even if someone is bad at maths or English, the Government took away funding for people to voluntarily find education.

Now they are punishing them for not finding it.

This IS discrimination.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Labour should be ashamed of themselves, moving further and further to the right. Why should people vote for them when they can get the same hateful policies from the current mob?

I think Labour realise how out of touch they've been, and the that "right" is where the country, thankfully, stands.
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    Ok but what about people that are not clever or smart enough to pass test

Probably they should carry on ingesting beer n' **** in front of the flatscreen and hope for the best. If they're not clever or smart enough to be able to read your their language and do some basic numeracy, I don't know what hope there is. Maybe plant themselves and hope to sprout vegetables?

So Labour are carrying on with Benefit bashing along with the Tories.

It has not been proved that people who are unemployed do not get jobs because they lack an education.

You need "proof" that lack of education leads to a corresponding lack of employability? For your sake, I hope you're just grandstanding.

Do you also need "proof" that when you switch the lights off it gets darker?
    Labour are getting as disgusting as the Tories when it comes to bashing those on benefits.

This IS discrimination against the unemployed, as there are workers who have poor educations too.

It seems the political mainstream in its entirity disagrees with you. Kudos to Labour for at least understanding their mistakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »

You need "proof" that lack of education leads to a corresponding lack of employability? For your sake, I hope you're just grandstanding.

Do you also need "proof" that when you switch the lights off it gets darker?

Comprehension should be on the test too.

I said we need proof that enough people are not educated enough for it to matter.

If it is the case that enough people are not educated out of the 3 million unemployed, then it shows that the government failed on education.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    Ok but what about people that are not clever or smart enough to pass test

What would you do with people who are unable to pass basic skills tests and who refuse to attend training classes?