Options

Abbott for London Mayor

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this just proves the nonsense of a directly elected Mayor for London. .

I fully support directly elected mayors. Every town and city should have one, certainly every large city should.

I read in my local paper this week that my town has a new mayor. Someone I've never heard of, didn't vote for and have no say in. The councillors just pass the golden chain around every year to whoever is next in line. How democratic is that?
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    Where have I challenged your right to have and express an opinion? Oh yeah, that's right - nowhere. If you're going to respond to my posts, at least do me the courtesy of reading them first.

And where did I say you did challenge my right to express an opinion?

Oh yeah, that's right - nowhere, if you are going to respond to my posts (as well as accusing me of saying something I didn't ) at least do me the courtesy of reading them first,

You said.
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    You give enough of a toss to make sure that everyone knows you don't give a toss.

Which although not directly saying that I have no right to an opinion, is clearly a 'dig' at me for choosing to express said opinion.
    I respond to your CLEAR criticism of me expressing my opinion with.
    Yip indeedy, it's called having an opinion and exercising one's right to express that opinion, I do hope that's OK with you,
    However, I DID consult my trusty give-a-toss-ometer just incase you don't agree that I have an equal right to give an opinion just to see how I should feel about your opinion either way, and guess what it registered?

See, I never said that you said I don't have the right to express an opinion, I said "just in case"
    So please do me the courtesy etc etc.

;-)
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Dont think London is ready for a Mayor who thinks Black mothers are better than White or Asian mothers or a Mayor who thinks is ok to be homophobic if its part of your culture or religion. Does London really need a Mayor who spent her life campaigning to stop parents sending their children to private school then sends her own son to a private school.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the only "opinion" you expressed was the fact that you don't have an "opinion" which in my "opinion" is a bit of a waste of an "opinion".

Not that I would object to your right not to have an "opinion" of course. :p

I very much respect your opinion that I have the right not to have an opinion, although I don't agree that it's a waste of an opinion, as I believe that not having an opinion on a topic is just as valid an opinion as the opinion of someone who DOES have an opinion.

In MY opinion anyway.

;-)
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Touche. :D
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this just proves the nonsense of a directly elected Mayor for London. You need to be a 'name' to have a chance of succeeding in the primary here. The Ken Livingston who took over the leadership of the GLC in the early eighties wouldn't have got anywhere near its latter day equivalent today.

Abbott would be like Johnson, someone in charge because they like being Mayor, rather than wanting to be make changes that make a real difference in the areas they actually control such as transport. What's Johnson done other than (a) foisting an expensive new bus design (and one that needs conductors) on to Londoners or (b) implementing Livingston ideas such as the so-called 'Boris' bikes.

At least Boris has a sense of humour, unlike Diane who is as humourous as The Back Death!
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Diane lol. Think of all the laughs, diplomatic incidents etc we could have :D

London, though would be doomed. Everything tits up.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Oh Diane lol. Think of all the laughs, diplomatic incidents etc we could have :D

Rather like having Boris as Mayor then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The job seems to attract comedians.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobMiles wrote: »
    At least Boris has a sense of humour, unlike Diane who is as humourous as The Back Death!

Oh dear - maybe we should just call it The Plague. :)
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

Actually, come to think of it yes.
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Which although not directly saying that I have no right to an opinion, is clearly a 'dig' at me for choosing to express said opinion.
    No it isn't. It's merely pointing out the inconsistency of claiming you don't give a toss about a subject when you've taken the time and effort to tell everyone what your stance on said subject is.

Which you'd know if you had bothered to read it properly.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane Abbott would be a terrible candidate for Labour. Utterly terrible.

I probably wouldn't ever vote Labour but I rather like Tessa Jowell, and she seems to divide opinion far less than the other proposed candidates. Given her association with the 2012 Olympics she'd be the ideal candidate for London Mayor. Which is exactly why Labour won't pick her.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I fully support directly elected mayors. Every town and city should have one, certainly every large city should.

I read in my local paper this week that my town has a new mayor. Someone I've never heard of, didn't vote for and have no say in. The councillors just pass the golden chain around every year to whoever is next in line. How democratic is that?

Mayors that aren't directly elected are the council equivalent of the Speaker. They merely chair meetings of the whole council.

Would you support us ditching the PM and having a directly elected one with executive power and where the House of Commons would be no more than a scrutiny committee? If you do not then why do you think it is acceptable for local authorities?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mayors that aren't directly elected are the council equivalent of the Speaker. They merely chair meetings of the whole council.

Would you support us ditching the PM and having a directly elected one with executive power and where the House of Commons would be no more than a scrutiny committee? If you do not then why do you think it is acceptable for local authorities?

Well, if the Mayor was the leader of the largest party on a local council I might understand it but the way it works is just a game of Buggins's turn rather than through any merit.

Go to any town in the US and tell them that they shouldn't have a directly elected mayor and they'd laugh at you.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if the Mayor was the leader of the largest party on a local council I might understand it but the way it works is just a game of Buggins's turn rather than through any merit.

Go to any town in the US and tell them that they shouldn't have a directly elected mayor and they'd laugh at you.

The leader of the largest party, when they are in the majority, is the leader of the council: appoints the Cabinet, makes the decisions. The mayorship is an inoffensive post given to long servers and who are non-political during the time they hold the post: its about being the ceremonial rather than the political face of the council. eg the Lord Mayor of the City of London.

So do you believe in a directly elected PM?
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

Yes but Boris can get away with it because he has charm. Diane doesn't.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    'Diane Abbott is Labour supporters' top choice to run for London Mayor,' new poll reveals

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/diane-abbott-is-labour-supporters-top-choice-to-run-for-london-mayor-poll-reveals-9556192.html

That news might just encourage Boris Johnson to run again. Not only would a Boris vs Diane election be a wonderful gaffe-tastic event, but he would be sure to win. Tessa Jowell may not be the most exciting politician but at least she would be a reasonable candidate, is less likely to turn voters off and won admirers on all sides over the work she did with the Olympics.
    That's more laughable than having Boris
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Dianne Abbott always manages to sound shallow, trite and out of her depth in just about anything she talks about.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Every single person mentioned in the article is a guaranteed loser. Would Labour now stop working as the Boris Johnson fan club and find someone who will guarantee that the disgusting twerp is kicked out. Thanks ever so.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    I would rather vote for Diane Abbott than Tessa Jowell.

Ha, neither of them have a hope !

In my opinion Diane Abbott is a hypocritical, chip-on-the-shoulder racist herself. She pretends to be on the left of the Labour Party as it suits her constituency and keeps her in a job. She despises selective education yet benefitted from a selective Grammar School education herself (Harrow County Grammar School for Girls) then decided to send her son to one of the top private schools in London (City of London) just to rub it in that some are more equal than others.

She is on record as saying in a tweet, "White people love playing 'divide and rule'. We should not play their game" and was almost sacked for it choosing instead to give a squirming apology.

If both these two are nominated then the Tory candidate, whoever it may be, will win. They could nominate Boris's brother Jo, or how about Jeremy Paxman or Steve Allen?
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borris against Abbott ... comedy gold.

I doubt there could be a single day without one insulting the electorate while the other makes hay and compounds that insult a day later.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour seem to enjoy losing these days. It can't just be coincidence that they have no popular candidates for leader or London major.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as a 'Labour supporter' I decided to consult my trusty 'give-a-toss-ometer' as to who I think should get the gig,
    The result seems to indicate that either my trusty 'give-a-toss-ometer' is broken or is actually registering a big fat zero

In terms of media exposure and PR, the London mayor job is probably the biggest gig outside Downing street and you don't care that one of your parties biggest liabilities is in the mix? Sorry, but I'm struggling to believe you I'm afraid.

Like him or loathe him Boris has a character that people warm to. Where cabinet ministers were getting boos and whistles during the Olympics the crowd response to Boris couldn't have been any different. People were chanting his name ffs!!

Abbott only has two sides to her character, smug and condescending and unlike Boris hasn't got a charm offensive mode to turn to. I can't think of a worse possible candidate to thrust into the media spotlight than Abbott. She's a PR disaster just waiting to happen for the party.

I kinda hope she does get the gig :D
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    I hope we never get a Labour mayir again. Still remember Len wasting tax payers money on diversity celebrations every other week.