Philip Hughes has died

clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
Forum Member
The breaking news we've been dreading.

Australian batsman Phil Hughes has passed away 2 days after being struck on the head by a cricket ball.

RIP and condolences to family and friends.

Comments

• tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking:( R.I.P
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad, sad news.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Terrible news, thoughts to those close to him.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news to wake up to on a cold and dark morning.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Phil Hughes.

Also don't forget to spare a thought for Sean Abbott.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

Indeed. Completely blameless for what's happened.

Cant begin to think how he feels.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    still shocked after reading this when I woke up

25 years old , the guy had hardly even started to live his life yet

RIP phil hughes
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    RIP Phil Hughes.

He's tainted for life sadly. He could score a million outs and this is all he will ever be known for.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Indeed. Completely blameless for what's happened.

Cant begin to think how he feels.

Yes, let's just hope that this tragic and freak accident doesn't end Abbott's career too.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Terrible news, thoughts to those close to him.
    Second this.
  • xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic.
    RIP Phil, thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends.

My main thoughts go out to the bowler I hope he is able to come through this and realise that it was just a tragic accident
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    Sad news

RIP

I notice that they have called off play in the Pakistan/NZ game as a mark of respect
  • Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP

Condolences to his family and friends
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    How incredibly sad for everyone involved. It seems unimaginable that something like this could happen. What happened to him as a result of the ball, is apparently incredibly rare.

I so hope people don't go down the blame route with Sean Abbott. The poor man will have to deal with blaming himself forever more. If Phillip hadn't batted left handed it might not have happened. If the ball had hit a divot it might not have happened. If he hadn't been called up to play it might not have happened. That's what accidents are, a series of random happenings coming together that couldn't be predicted, which cause such a tragic event. I hope for his sake that one day Sean Abbott can think this way and be kind to himself.

Tragic, just tragic. I feel so incredibly sad now.

Rest easy Phillip.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tragic news - thoughts are with family and friends.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shocked and saddened to wake up to this news. Thoughts with family and friends, and poor Sean Abott. How awfully tragic.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Incredibly sad, somehow i thought Phil Hughes would survive this and live so to find out he has died is a shock especially as he was so young. 25 is no age to die, just shows none of us know what is round the corner and we should all make the most of what time we have. RIP.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    How incredibly sad for everyone involved. It seems unimaginable that something like this could happen. What happened to him as a result of the ball, is apparently incredibly rare.

I so hope people don't go down the blame route with Sean Abbott. The poor man will have to deal with blaming himself forever more. If Phillip hadn't batted left handed it might not have happened. If the ball had hit a divot it might not have happened. If he hadn't been called up to play it might not have happened. That's what accidents are, a series of random happenings coming together that couldn't be predicted, which cause such a tragic event. I hope for his sake that one day Sean Abbott can think this way and be kind to himself.

Tragic, just tragic. I feel so incredibly sad now.

Rest easy Phillip.

Same sentiments from me. I am angry that the DM has let comments through saying he should be tried for manslaughter. >:(
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Same sentiments from me. I am angry that the DM has let comments through saying he should be tried for manslaughter. >:(

Just when I think the DM cant stoop any lower
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news for all cricket fans. :(
    Safi74 wrote: »
    I so hope people don't go down the blame route with Sean Abbott.

Fortunately, the majority of comments made so far carry the sentiment towards Abbott of sympathy, rather than blame.

On the same note, I hope Hughes' tragic death don't lead to a string of knee-jerk reactions claiming that cricket is too dangerous and vast increases in protection need to be offered to batsmen from this point onwards.

It was just a million-to-one accident - with admittedly dreadful consequences.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Tragic.
    RIP Phil, thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends.

My main thoughts go out to the bowler I hope he is able to come through this and realise that it was just a tragic accident

That poor lad! He's only 22 isn't he? This'll haunt him. How can anyone use the word 'blame'? A tragic accident from something that's part of the game.

Heartbreaking news. When I saw Phil's name come up on Sky I thought it was going to say he was on the mend.
    My heart goes out to everyone who knew him. So sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devestated by this news. I had hoped he would recover.

Hopefully they can pull Sean Abbott aside and give him all the support & counselling he's gonna need.

And I hope he gets himself away from any social media accounts that he has because ignorant wasters will inevitably blame him for something that is certainly not his fault.

Condolences to young Philip Hughes family & friends.
    Forum Member

Hopefully they can pull Sean Abbott aside and give him all the support & counselling he's gonna need.

I understand Cricket Australia have already said they will be providing counselling for Sean Abbott and all of the other players who witnessed what happened.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such tragic news to wake up to. I honestly though he was going to pull through like the West Indies player Phil Simmons a few years ago. Having seen Lillee & Thompson & the West Indies bowlers over the years when the batsmen had much less protection, this is such a freak accident which any kind of helmet could not prevent.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Desperately sad news for everyone concerned.