Options

Chromecast

Hi. I was thinking of getting chromecast for my TV. Question is will chromecast work for all 2010 Pasnasonic models. Will the power supply that comes with it, will it be long enough. My Panasonic is near the wall, if not will my USB ports work.They are on the sside of my TV.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The USB port should power it without an issue. Chromecasts basically work with any television that has a HDMI port.
  • Options
    gdog38gdog38 Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Thanks
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can either use an existing USB port on the Panasonic, or else extend the power cable to a standard power socket and connect using the USB power adapter that comes with the Chromecast. The former is obviously better to avoid dangling wires!

And any TV with a HDMI socket spare will work. Side sockets are better if you have restricted space or wall mount your TV.
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 2009 panasonic TV myself and got a chroomcast some 3 weeks ago luckily with the extender it works fine but if id have not of had it then then would of been pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I told my dad about it, we are going to see what it can do. When it gets delivered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got my Chromecast the other day and it won't connect through my Bt Homehub. Trying to connect through my tablet.

Please help.
  • Options
    x6461x6461 Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Try turning off Smart setup on the homehub
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where is Smart Setup on my Bt hub I can't seen to find it. Model number Bt hub3 N9FJ

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry I use Sky fibre but I found these instructions for the Hub 3 on the Chromecast forums

Step 1: go to BT Hub Manager in your browser
    Step 2: click the 'settings' tab
    Step 3: click the 'advanced settings' tab
    Step 4: click the 'wireless' tab
    Step 5: find the channel selection, choose 11 (or try other lower channels if need be)
    Step 6: apply the change, exit and retry the chromecast connection setup

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/bbggk8vDjYw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gdog38 wrote: »
    Got my Chromecast the other day and it won't connect through my Bt Homehub. Trying to connect through my tablet.

Please help.

As a random aside, if you only literally got it "the other day", they're currently doing a christmas promotion where you can claim £15 quid credit to your google play account if you've bought a new chromecast.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a random aside, if you only literally got it "the other day", they're currently doing a christmas promotion where you can claim £15 quid credit to your google play account if you've bought a new chromecast.

Found it, £15 added and expires Jan 2016, cheers for the info.

All i had to do was let google have access to my CC so they know what i'm watching :o

Not sure how to 'unpair' it now though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    I got one delivered on Saturday, how do i claim the credit please?

Go here ...

https://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/offers/

Make sure your TV is on and the chromecast is selected. Click "Redeem Offer" and it'll invite you to select your device, so click on it as if you were normally casting a tab - that just verifies it with google.

You should then see a page with the offers you're entitled to. You can also get a free copy of the first X Men movie, 90 days of Google Play Music and also a 3 Month trial of Now TV as well.

The £15 credit is apparently only for Google Play Movies but a lot of people have said it's valid for anything - apps, music e.t.c..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go here ...

Make sure your TV is on and the chromecast is selected. Click "Redeem Offer" and it'll invite you to select your device, so click on it as if you were normally casting a tab - that just verifies it with google.

You should then see a page with the offers you're entitled to. You can also get a free copy of the first X Men movie, 90 days of Google Play Music and also a 3 Month trial of Now TV as well.

The £15 credit is apparently only for Google Play Movies but a lot of people have said it's valid for anything - apps, music e.t.c..

Ok i just did it, see my post above yours as i edited it.

Are you saying i can get all the offers, or just one of them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok i just did it, see my post above yours as i edited it.

Are you saying i can get all the offers, or just one of them?

I've claimed the X Men movie and the credit. I'm not massively interested in Google Music or Now TV though, but I assume I could get them if i wanted to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've claimed the X Men movie and the credit. I'm not massively interested in Google Music or Now TV though, but I assume I could get them if i wanted to.

Cheers, just went back and claimed the movie :) I think you get until the end of January to redeem the offers so i'll wait until my VM cancellation goes through on the 8th Jan and i get a FireTV before i get the NowTV offer.

Thanks again :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers, just went back and claimed the movie :) I think you get until the end of January to redeem the offers so i'll wait until my VM cancellation goes through on the 8th Jan and i get a FireTV before i get the NowTV offer.

Thanks again :)

Glad to help :)

I'm actually already on a 3 month NOW Tv trial, but i never use it. I suppose i could technically start this one at the end of that for the full 6 months free though :)

I don't actually have any android devices any more so i might end up having to watch a load of movies from the play store before the end of Jan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to help :)

I'm actually already on a 3 month NOW Tv trial, but i never use it. I suppose i could technically start this one at the end of that for the full 6 months free though :)

I don't actually have any android devices any more so i might end up having to watch a load of movies from the play store before the end of Jan.

I may have to change my choice of streaming box, NowTV isn't available on FireTV :(

I only really watch Fox of the non-freeview channels which is why i'm dumping VM. Decisions decisions!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I set my Chromecast up at last but I am having trouble casting anythang.

Please help.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may have to change my choice of streaming box, NowTV isn't available on FireTV :(

I only really watch Fox of the non-freeview channels which is why i'm dumping VM. Decisions decisions!

Yet.
    A Roku might be a better option for you, i personally love both my ROKU1 and firetv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gdog38 wrote: »
    I set my Chromecast up at last but I am having trouble casting anythang.

Please help.

Are you using Chrome browser and have you downloaded the plugin?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am up and running now. Thanks..
  • Options
    Forum Member

Roku or an Apple Tv is your best choice for Now TV.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go here ...

Thanks. I didn't know about these offers. Don't appear to be enigible for the £15 voucher (but I did get my Chromecast for just £18 at Tesco). Have picked up the movie and the trial of Now TV. I already have Sky Multiroom, but this will be perfect for when I visit my Family over Christmas as the Sky Go app doesn't allow casting.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Yet.
    A Roku might be a better option for you, i personally love both my ROKU1 and firetv.

Does the Roku 1 have the same apps as the rest of them? It's hard to tell from the website, the only thing thats putting me off getting one is that its doesnt have dual band wireless. I don't even know what that is, but it sounds important! :(
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Does the Roku 1 have the same apps as the rest of them? It's hard to tell from the website, the only thing thats putting me off getting one is that its doesnt have dual band wireless. I don't even know what that is, but it sounds important! :(

AFAIK the Roku 1,2,3 and streamer stick have the same Apps but the Roku 1 only has the single Wifi connection radio band as you said using 2 GHz radio band whereas the dual band Roku’s can also use the 5 GHz Wifi band. A thing to note here is your router needs to have the 5GHz band too so you’re wasting your time if it hasn’t.

Most users will find the common old 2GHz Wifi band OK but if like me you have many users of that band close to you then the 5GHz band has the upper hand and although the 5 band can have faster data speeds the Roku using the 2 band is more than fasts enough for things like Netflix HD movies.