Options

Unusual present for a new born baby -suggestions please

eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After a mammoth labour this morning my youngest daughter gave birth to a little girl . I would love to be able to buy her a really unusual present, has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Congratulations! I got some really pretty little silver boxes from a local jewellers for baby's first tooth and lock of hair. They can be engraved, and come nicely presented. They made a lovely present, or so I was told!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pack of cigarettes and a bottle of Baileys, that's quite unusual for a baby :D

Only kidding!

Congratulations! :)

I can't think of anything right now that is quite unusual, but I do think that something engraved is a nice idea. It can always be looked back on with fond memories :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I got my sister a lovely 2 sided photo frame with a space for a pic of the baby on one side and a space for a foot print / hand print on the other & she loved it.

I have seen some where you have to mix the paster - but the one i got you just had to roll it out and place the babies foot on it.
  • Options
    highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    How about things like the number 1 single, album the day they were born, and a keepsake newspaper etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find an acre of the moon, is the best unusual gift that suits most occansions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about things like the number 1 single, album the day they were born, and a keepsake newspaper etc.

That is a really cool idea I might think about that.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a really cool idea I might think about that.

Good idea. So you need Mercy by Duffy, Sleeping Through The Static, Jack Johnson album, and today's Sun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Good idea. So you need Mercy by Duffy, Sleeping Through The Static, Jack Johnson album, and today's Sun.

Then put them all in a pot stir it say abra kadabra 3 times and you get 3 wishes!! :D

Just kidding

Do you have anything sentimental you could give such as a family heirloom?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Lydser05 wrote: »
    I have seen some where you have to mix the paster - but the one i got you just had to roll it out and place the babies foot on it.
    Santa bought me one of those at Xmas to do my Son's footprint - it was very difficult to do, I found that the plaster didn't go soft enough.. I would've liked to have them done professionally when he was a newborn.

Deffo a good gift idea though. :)
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I've done for my kids is buy 3 bottles of champagne of the years of their births. One for their 18th, one for their 21st and one for the toast at their weddings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Something I've done for my kids is buy 3 bottles of champagne of the years of their births. One for their 18th, one for their 21st and one for the toast at their weddings.

OMG thats a great idea. Although I don't have kids, I can see myself getting really desperate for some booze one night and opening one!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Good job I don't have kids!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Nellie1000Nellie1000 Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently bought a "Nappy cake" for my cousin's newborn. Mine came from Flower Vogue but you can get plenty of different designs on the net. It looks like a cake made up of nappies and contains bottles, sleep suits, spoons, dummies etc. topped off with a teddy and balloon. It did set me back £50 but all in all I thought it was good value and everything could be used.
    Do a search on google there's loads of companies that do them.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tiger.

Or put £5000 into an ISA to mature when she is 18, or 21. Should be a tidy sum by then.
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about planting a tree that will grow with the child?

You can arranged to have them planted in managed woodlands.

http://www.carbonzerostuff.com/home.php?cat=261

Or Woodland Trust

http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/plantatree/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lydser05 wrote: »
    OMG thats a great idea. Although I don't have kids, I can see myself getting really desperate for some booze one night and opening one!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Good job I don't have kids!!! :D:D:D

You hide the bottles at the very back of the cupboard under the stairs. Where you take your life in you hands if you dare to try and reach them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelana wrote: »
    What about planting a tree that will grow with the child?

You can arranged to have them planted in managed woodlands.

http://www.carbonzerostuff.com/home.php?cat=261

Or Woodland Trust

http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/plantatree/

I really love that idea as we live in the countryside and can easily get to some of the designated woodland. It would lovely to think of the trees growning with our precious little girl.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats! There are some places which can arrange footprints and handprints of the baby to be set in a 'clay' and maybe you could give a voucher for that.
    And I think you can have a star named after the baby.
    I have my baby grandson smiling a gummy smile at me as my screensaver - it makes me smile everytime I come online!
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nellie1000 wrote: »
    I recently bought a "Nappy cake" for my cousin's newborn. Mine came from Flower Vogue but you can get plenty of different designs on the net. It looks like a cake made up of nappies and contains bottles, sleep suits, spoons, dummies etc. topped off with a teddy and balloon. It did set me back £50 but all in all I thought it was good value and everything could be used.
    Do a search on google there's loads of companies that do them.
    This is similar but in the form of a bouquet of flowers made up of socks, hats, sleep suits and so on:

http://www.babyblooms.co.uk/

I gave a Medium Blue one to a couple with a new baby earlier this week and they seemed to be very pleased with it. However, since they live some distance away, I've not actually seen the thing myself.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a mint idea - im going to do that for my friends when thier drops!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be a little doubtful about keeping champagne for eighteen or twenty plus years. Most websites I've looked at suggest that the wine is likely to deteriorate in that sort of time.

For example:
    Q How long can I keep a bottle of champagne?

A All champagne is designed to be consumed when purchased, although this may not be the time for its optimum condition. Generally Non Vintage champagne should be stored for no more than 3 years. Vintage champagne may be kept for up to 15 years and exceptional vintage champagnes for longer. All formats except normal bottles (75cl), Magnums and Jeroboams should be consumed within one year of purchase. The optimum format for long term storage is the Magnum.
    https://www.justchampagne.co.uk/page/Frequently_Asked_Questions.htm

I think the wine would also have to be kept in ideal conditions to give it the best chance of surviving, but it might be a bit disappointing after, say, twenty five years.

Another piece of advice:
    How long does Champagne keep?

When you order a bottle of Champagne from most vineyards, it has already spent several years resting in their cellars. It is this lengthy ageing that partly explains the retail price of your favorite Champagne.

So, there's really no need for you to continue ageing your champagne. In practice, you can keep non-vintage Bruts 3 to 4 years and vintage cuvées 5 to 10 years in a cool dry place.

In ideal cellar conditions (around 50F), some fine Champagnes will keep for twenty or thirty years or more. However, it is not as long lived as a Burgundy or Bordeaux.

If you do not have the luxury of a cellar, however, the best place to store it is somewhere in the dark that has a constant temperature, as cool as possible. Then your timescale for keeping is very limited. The Champenois say that you should not keep Champagne for longer that it was cellared originally, so that means from two years for a non-vintage, and from three years for a vintage.
    http://www.champagnesabering.com/home.php?id=16

Sorry for being a bit negative about your idea, studmuffin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are exceptional vintage ones, I'm not worried. Nearly fainted at the price mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are exceptional vintage ones, I'm not worried. Nearly fainted at the price mind.
    Now that really is careful planning: arranging for your children to be born in the years of exceptional champagne vintages! :D

I certainly think there'd be little point in hoping that non-vintage champagne would survive for twenty years or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Now that really is careful planning: arranging for your children to be born in the years of exceptional champagne vintages! :D

I certainly think there'd be little point in hoping that non-vintage champagne would survive for twenty years or so.

I didn't buy them the year they were born, i bought the champagne of the years of their birth.

I'd go look in the mirror, just to check if your pedant crown is on straight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a mammoth labour this morning my youngest daughter gave birth to a little girl . I would love to be able to buy her a really unusual present, has anyone got any ideas?

Buy her a globe, you will have given her the world:)