Options

Confused...

TV connected to satellite receiver and Video recorder. For no reason suddenly when I record from satellite(and it appears to be certain channels only)the picture is normal but then dims and then lightens again and dims...and it just does this over and over again. When the picture is dim the colours become very saturated and rich. But when the picture lightens again they are normal.

As it does not seem to affect ordinary tv delivered by the rooftop arieal and only affects some satellite channels does this look like a video recorder fault or a satellite receiver problem...I was wondering if its a power problem or a tuning problem?

All channels look ok when viewed normally and not through the VCR but if this has happened recorded programmes behave the same way on playback.

Many thanks...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I think it may be down to copy protection on certain channels. Not fully sure on this but I'm sure someone will correct me soon if I'm wrong
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not the movie or sports channels but stations like Sky One, Living and the like.

Now I come to think of it...If I record ITV 3 using the arieal(sp?)it behaves the same way but BBC1, BBC2,C4, Five is ok.

Thanks for a possible explanation...being so close to Christmas I may be pushing my luck trying to get the problem fixed at such short notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is not the movie or sports channels but stations like Sky One, Living and the like.

Now I come to think of it...If I record ITV 3 using the arieal(sp?)it behaves the same way but BBC1, BBC2,C4, Five is ok.

ITV 3 off the aerial? ITV 3 is from cable, satellite or freeview so do you mean form one of these or did you mean to say ITV 1?

In any case, only some channels use copy protection so it still could be this but I do not know which ones do and which dont. A good few years ago I did try copying a DVD onto a video tape for a relative who haddn't got DVD at that time, and it had the same effect as what you are describing due to the copy protection on it, which is what makes me think it is down to copy protection on certain channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV 3 off the aerial? ITV 3 is from cable, satellite or freeview so do you mean form one of these or did you mean to say ITV 1?

In any case, only some channels use copy protection so it still could be this but I do not know which ones do and which dont. A good few years ago I did try copying a DVD onto a video tape for a relative who haddn't got DVD at that time, and it had the same effect as what you are describing due to the copy protection on it, which is what makes me think it is down to copy protection on certain channels

Sorry my fault...ITV 1 on Button 3...

If it is copyright protection, is this affecting everyone else now?

What is the point of bothering with a vcr or other recording devices anymore?

I haven't seen it talked about at great length...I rarely save anything off tv but usually just timeshift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry my fault...ITV 1 on Button 3...

Thought that is what you meant. I cannot understand why this does it on ITV 1 analogue then as I did not think terrestrial analogue broadcasts had copy protection on
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

AFAIK SD Freeview does not support copy protection, theres no problen in recording any freeview channels on either of my pvrs (and transferriing the recordings to a PC. I believe on satellite some premium content is copy protected using macrovision and on Freesat systems BBC HD is encrypted in the receiver but still transmitted in the clear
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    AFAIK SD Freeview does not support copy protection, theres no problen in recording any freeview channels on either of my pvrs (and transferriing the recordings to a PC. I believe on satellite some premium content is copy protected using macrovision and on Freesat systems BBC HD is encrypted in the receiver but still transmitted in the clear

Even copy protected content can be recorded on a PVR anyway, and the Macrovison protection isn't on the transmission, it's added inside the box following instructions sent with the broadcast.

A few people have reported problems with ALL programmes carrying Macrovision - and this is usually cured by resetting the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting...I have as you see a very basic system, VCR and satellite receiver not Sky+ and tv. Nothing else.

Your information suggests that I should try and fathom out how to rescan/tune the VCR? Just in the hope that fixes it.

This area has not been switched to digital yet and is the last area to do so.

When possible I suspect a visit to a tv retailer is in order...
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find he means resetting the Sky box. There is nothing wrong with your VCR.

Macrovision works by sending out false sync pules that cause the picture to get dim and then bright and then dim again. Retuning the VCR won't help because the Macrovison corruption is coming from the Sky box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will be fun working that out:p:D:rolleyes:

Not sure why ITV 1 is affected when that is delivered terrestrially.

But the Sky box may still be the reason...
  • Options
    MarrooMarroo Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello ! :)

If your problem's with the skybox , try pressing standby on the remote , then switch off @ the socket & unplug it for a minute or so .

Plug it back in , turn back on @ the remote & hope !

That apart , autotuning of your tv and / or your vcr may help ??

Of course i'm NOT an expert on this kind of thing ! ;)

Good luck ! :)