Old comics, worth much?

13»

Comments

• William BlighWilliam Bligh Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I used to read the Beano and Dandy in the 80s and sadly threw them away a few years later.

Thanks to eBay, I've got those same ones back again :)

The only sad thing is, I think the novelty's worn off a bit.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we still have boxes of old Beano comics in the loft. My son collected them over many years. He seems to think they might be worth something some day.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    I have a Rupert The Bear 70's Annual which has 'Golly' in it. I heard some years back that this edition is collectable, as there were only a couple of books published that featured 'Golly' . I know it is a book not a comic but thought someone might know.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistygal wrote: »
    I have a Rupert The Bear 70's Annual which has 'Golly' in it. I heard some years back that this edition is collectable, as there were only a couple of books published that featured 'Golly' . I know it is a book not a comic but thought someone might know.

Most 1970s Rupert Annuals are valued between £5 to £12 depending on condition.
    However, if you've got the 1973 book that features Rupert with a brown face on the cover as well as inside, you're onto a winner!
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Some are worth a lot of money, my son sold one to a Canadian buyer for £1,010, once, it was a rare one which he didn't know he had until he saw another one advertised on ebay.
    He could have sold it for a lot more if he'd sent it to the US for authentication but he didn't want to wait, he needed a new computer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    Some are worth a lot of money, my son sold one to a Canadian buyer for £1,010, once, it was a rare one which he didn't know he had until he saw another one advertised on ebay.
    He could have sold it for a lot more if he'd sent it to the US for authentication but he didn't want to wait, he needed a new computer.

There's no denying that some of the Rupert Annuals are worth quite a lot but the price you've quoted would be for a copy produced during wartime or post-war to 1949.
    The value in Rupert Annuals only starts to increase pre-1969, at around £20 to £25.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Some good comic stories on here. I collected all the 1960's TV Century 21 comics which became Countdown which became TV Action. I had them all, boxed in my parents attic but when I got married in 1978, my Mum through them all out. Would love to know what they would be worth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Some good comic stories on here. I collected all the 1960's TV Century 21 comics which became Countdown which became TV Action. I had them all, boxed in my parents attic but when I got married in 1978, my Mum through them all out. Would love to know what they would be worth.

With regards to the TV Century 21 comics... honestly, you really do not want to know as it'll make you weep.
    Actually, the comic dropped the 'Century' bit after a few years and became to be known simply as 'TV21', eventually merging (after also amalgamating the Joe 90 comic and the TV Tornado comic) and eventually surrendering to Valiant.

Countdown was an entirely new and separate comic with no connection to TVC21 and also from different publisher (Polystyle). It certainly had the TVC21 vibe to it though because of its heavy Gerry Anderson and Doctor Who connections. What was nice about this publication was just as like the popular Eagle a decade or two earlier with its non-strip features and articles, it gave readers an nice insight science-wise to the then happening 'Space Program' (we were still sending Man to the Moon back then) with articles on NASA, satellite communications, computers, and... there's even an article on the 'internet' (in 1972!).
    After around 50 issues it had a revamp and added the name of TV Action + Countdown to its masthead (there was no TV Action comic before, it just came to be called that). The reason being is that television started to move away from sci-fi programmes and more in favour of police detective or private-i shows such as Cannon, The Persuaders, Hawaii Five-O, etc. and the comic reflected the times to include them.
    Sadly, it eventually folded in 1973 after around 130 issues with no merger but a couple of Annuals continued for a year or two later for those Christmas mornings.
    An average cost of a copy in VG+ condition after issue #8 is worth around £4 to £5 each, then rising with an additional £1 each for the previous four issues. Issues 3 around £15, Issue 2 around £18 to £20 and finally, the first issue around £25 to £30.
    If they're in exceptionally very fine to near mint condition then you could add on about 20% in value to the issues after #8 and around 30% for those individually mentioned.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt these are worth much but i thought i'd mention it anyway.I have 8 issues of a comic called Chips (Not the american tv series). It's based on a 80's UK kids tv show that was shown on ch4. There was a man,a woman & a guy dressed up as a dog. At the end of every episode they made up a comic which you could buy from the shops. Not many people (at least the ones i mention it to) remember this tv series,so i doubt there is much value in them.