Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glitter didn't have any number ones after the 70s so he can simply be edited out.

Yet they did show one of his very minor hits from 1977, when his career seemed almost over, and there were complaints. It is a difficult one, but the BBC has to tread carefully.
  • Options
    RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I don't know if anybody else watched "James May's cars of the people" tonight, but I'm surprised the the programme wasn't Yewtreed - it ended with a shot of a Mini with the registration number DLT 174J:)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yewtree......anyone got a chainsaw?

I think we may have finally reached a pivot point in this never ending saga. I really do think that the police have overplayed their hand this time with Cliff. Regardless of what anyone's personal opinion is of him, as a person, entertainer or a recording artist, the manner in which events have unfolded is unseemly and reflects more on both the police and the BBC rather than Cliff Richard. So many people are springing to his defence, Michael Parkinson for instance tonight calling it a "witch hunt". But even more interesting than that is a comment from Tory MP David Davis, formerly shadow Home Secretary, who has said "The extraordinary decision by the leadership of the South Yorkshire Police to allow the searching of Sir Cliff Richard's house to be televised, like some morally challenged reality TV show, demonstrates that there is something sick at the heart of Britain's police and justice system".

Even Mark Williams-Thomas, he who initiated the original Savile exposure 2 years ago and likes to have a media profile of his own nowadays, is not happy with what has happened.

There is a possibility that Cliff could be back in the charts next weekend. A campaign has been started by his fanbase to get people to buy his top ten hit from December 1992, I Still Believe In You, as a sign of their support.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see what happens, eventually this will all blow over. Shame they didn't start the repeats years ago when BBC FOUR first came on air.
  • Options
    Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV4 is going to show Summer Holiday this coming Sunday (24/8) from 15:50 to 18:00 and Cliff Richard is in that film could that be dropped at the last minute or would it still go ahead despite what happened on Thursday.:confused:
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cliff was not edited out of Friday night's music programme on BBC 4.

I like him.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Cliff was not edited out of Friday night's music programme on BBC 4.

I would say the BBC's best bet now would be to go ahead with all Cliff performances and not try and edit him out of anything. Its apparent insider source has landed it in really hot water and it's having more fingers pointed at it than Cliff is himself. So to start hacking Cliff out of TOTP (or, indeed, anything else) would only be digging an even bigger hole than the one they've already dug.

The irony of all this is, of course, that if The Sun or the Daily Heil had been tipped off about the raid and splashed it all over their front pages, Cliff would probably have more fingers pointing at him … not that The Sun or the Heil would ever admit that, of course.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    ITV4 is going to show Summer Holiday this coming Sunday (24/8) from 15:50 to 18:00 and Cliff Richard is in that film could that be dropped at the last minute or would it still go ahead despite what happened on Thursday.:confused:

Unless Cliff hijacks an old route master and smacks it into a crowd of children singing The Young Ones between now and Sunday, I think it'll be fine.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are over reacting, unless he gets arrested there is no reason to not play his music or feature him on TOTP etc. The way things are going we'll be lucky to have showings of any old 70s shows at this rate.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    So is Cliff going to be arrested? I'm hoping they find nothing to go on and drop the whole thing. I'm getting sick of all these arrests now! Tarnishing the memory of pretty much everyone from my childhood. >:(

I agree!!! >:(

I have such fond memories of growing up in the 70s with all the great music & kids TV!! There will be nothing left of all our 70s TV stars soon! :(
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it actually been confirmed yet that TOTP is back on September 4th? I see nothing on Digiguide. :confused:
  • Options
    Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless Cliff hijacks an old route master and smacks it into a crowd of children singing The Young Ones between now and Sunday, I think it'll be fine.

I think you got that mixed up with the ending of the 80s BBC Comedy show Young Ones when Vyvan drives into the cliff and the bus explodes because Rick shouted "Look out it's Cliff"
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Has it actually been confirmed yet that TOTP is back on September 4th? I see nothing on Digiguide. :confused:

Someone said on One For The Dads that the Thursday Proms is on that date after all. The Proms end on the 13th, Sky At Night will premiere the following night as it always does on the second Sunday of the month with the repeat on the TOTP slot four days later so I would make that the 25th we will get TOTP 1979 again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone said on One For The Dads that the Thursday Proms is on that date after all.

So we are to assume it will be back on when the Proms is all over (if Peter Powell don't get arrested that is). Shame we have to wait even longer, but guess it gives DLT more time to be found NOT guilty.

There's nothing anywhere on the net to say it's back in September, just wondering where the source of that info was?
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    I think people are over reacting, unless he gets arrested there is no reason to not play his music or feature him on TOTP etc. The way things are going we'll be lucky to have showings of any old 70s shows at this rate.

Even if he does "get arrested" there is no reason to not play his music or feature him on TOTP etc.

People, don't be brainwashed!

The only valid reason for withholding footage of anyone is if it might jeopardise forthcoming legal proceedings. Not even potential legal proceedings.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if he does "get arrested" there is no reason to not play his music or feature him on TOTP etc.

People, don't be brainwashed!

The only valid reason for withholding footage of anyone is if it might jeopardise forthcoming legal proceedings. Not even potential legal proceedings.

Yes! Now go and download your copy of I Still Believe In You by Cliff Richard in support. ;-)
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His bus in the film was an RT not a Routemaster :D
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Yes! Now go and download your copy of I Still Believe In You by Cliff Richard in support. ;-)

You must be joking. I do not know whether he is innocent or guilty so why would I show him support. Those who do download the track will look right pillocks if he is eventually found guilty.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be joking. I do not know whether he is innocent or guilty so why would I show him support. Those who do download the track will look right pillocks if he is eventually found guilty.

If it was on that 6 cd compilation of all his hits issued a few years ago, then surely you don't need to download it?

I found a Vhs of the Hit List tie in compilation a few months while on holiday.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hear hear. Completely agree with this.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I think you got that mixed up with the ending of the 80s BBC Comedy show Young Ones when Vyvan drives into the cliff and the bus explodes because Rick shouted "Look out it's Cliff"

I didn't mix it up. I'm very familiar with the finale of The Young Ones and have been for over 25 years. I was making up a different scenario using recognised imagery in conjunction with a song title from Cliff's back catalogue that would serve as a jarring nod to the current situation and appropriate them into a ludicrous set of circumstances as a means to humorously dismiss the likelihood ITV4 would cancel the film 'Summer Holiday'.

See, nobody understands the sheer amount of effort that goes into my shit jokes.

His bus in the film was an RT not a Routemaster :D

Wait. Are you saying the integrity of my earlier gag has been compromised by an erroneous understanding of mid-20th century London buses?

Balls.

*throws self off a cliff*

No wait! I made a pun! I made a puuuuuuuuuuu...

**SPLAT**
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this post ^
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree, whilst I find it hard to believe him capable of such a thing, I also thought the same of Rolf Harris and look what happened there. Its not a great track anyway, I do wonder why after great success in the period 79-90 he suddenly fell out of favour, even to the degree that the abysmal Millennium Prayer was starved of air play.

I guess those who do download will at least help fund his legal fees.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »

I guess those who do download will at least help fund his legal fees.

I have a feeling Cliff will be well able to afford his legal fees - IF it goes that far! - not like DLT having to sell his home! :(

So when IS TOTP returning then? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    I have a feeling Cliff will be well able to afford his legal fees - IF it goes that far! - not like DLT having to sell his home! :(

So when IS TOTP returning then? :confused:

Whenever the BBC Proms ends - hopefully!

It's looking more unlikely they will follow this case up. No arrests have been made yet. It makes you wonder why they haven't actually arrested him if someone reported him. And why search his home? What evidence were they hoping to find 33 years after the alleged incident? I'm really hoping this all blows over!