The Mekong River with Sue Perkins [BBC]

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
Forum Member
"Sue Perkins embarks on a life-changing journey up the Mekong - South East Asia's greatest river - in this entertaining and illuminating series...".

By entertaining and illuminating I assume they mean excrement. I for one cannot watch another middle-class over-educated bore 'finding' themselves on a 'journey'. How much longer do we have to suffer this cliched ballbag of bollocky self-discovery by the priviledged. She isn't even vaguely likable! At least Palin had that in his favour.

Oh well, I hope she had a lovely time and 'found' herself. Zzzzzzz.

Comments

• JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the advert. Looks a fascinating place. I won't be watching as I don't really like Sue.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I for one cannot watch another middle-class over-educated bore 'finding' themselves on a 'journey'.

So you're looking for someone like Joey Essex I'm assuming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    So you're looking for someone like Joey Essex I'm assuming.

You assume incorrectly. I am looking for a well-rounded educated person who has lived full a life, has met interesting people, is well traveled and has had a varied career path.

What I am NOT looking for, is someone who still thinks they are at university, only mixes with peers of similar ilk, and has a myopic worldview only to discover (at our cost) that 'baby elephants' are amazing and seeing 'orphanages in Cambodia' is a 'life-changing experience'. Geezus, enough.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can never have enough Sue Perkins on TV. She is being lined up to replace David Attenborough.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't mind her, I'll tune in. When's it on?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    "Sue Perkins embarks on a life-changing journey up the Mekong - South East Asia's greatest river - in this entertaining and illuminating series...".

By entertaining and illuminating I assume they mean excrement. I for one cannot watch another middle-class over-educated bore 'finding' themselves on a 'journey'. How much longer do we have to suffer this cliched ballbag of bollocky self-discovery by the priviledged. She isn't even vaguely likable! At least Palin had that in his favour.

:D:D:D

Totally agree with the rest of your post too. Sue Perkins 'discovering herself'. Uh...no thank you.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Detest Sue Perkins.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Sue........I'd take her up the Mekong
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can never have enough Sue Perkins on TV. She is being lined up to replace David Attenborough.

I hope not, she is over exposed on t.v., but she ticks a few boxes.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promo shot of the programme and it's shocking, shocking! The OP was right!

http://i.imgur.com/qDFB74s.jpg
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can just about take Sue Perkins in small doses.

Unfortunately, her current TV activity amounts to substantially more than that - as this "documentary" proves.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Christ I hope not , can't even watch the bake off because of her and Mel's pathetic unfunny comments
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Christ I hope not , can't even watch the bake off because of her and Mel's pathetic unfunny comments

Don't start on my Mellie ;-)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You assume incorrectly. I am looking for a well-rounded educated person who has lived full a life, has met interesting people, is well traveled and has had a varied career path.

What I am NOT looking for, is someone who still thinks they are at university, only mixes with peers of similar ilk, and has a myopic worldview only to discover (at our cost) that 'baby elephants' are amazing and seeing 'orphanages in Cambodia' is a 'life-changing experience'. Geezus, enough.

And yet, ironically, you`ve done a bang-up job of publicising it to people who might otherwise have passed on it! On behalf of the delightful Perks, ithankyew......
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perkins is the apotheosis of the 21st Century BBC, an attractive, witty, leftie lesbian [ less common than you'd think ] and , unless a you tube clip of a cocaine fuelled threesome with Russell Brand and Jimmy Krankie appears, she is on a fast track to the top echelon of BBC presenters.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By entertaining and illuminating I assume they mean excrement. I for one cannot watch another middle-class over-educated bore 'finding' themselves on a 'journey'. How much longer do we have to suffer this cliched ballbag of bollocky self-discovery by the privileged. She isn't even vaguely likable! At least Palin had that in his favour.

Hmm. I can only guess it's because she's under contact to the BBC, that they found her this job. Maybe they couldn't get anyone more suited, willing to do it.

With the success of "Bake-Off" yet another naffin' cookery programme, they probably think with her name in the title, (often a give-away for something rubbish), she'll "engage" or in the circumstances "navigate," (a favourite word of the BBC when they are trying to influence the PBP), the Bake-Off viewers will want to watch it.
    Will it include a section on "101 ways to make interesting meals out of naffin' rice?"

Anyway, the BBC want prosecuting under the Trades Descriptions Act. They've described her as a "comedian."
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her so I'll be watching.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't it be "That programme sounds interesting and i'd like to find out more about the river so i'll be watching" rather than "oh, I like her - don't care what the programme is about but i'll watch it because she's presenting it".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. I can only guess it's because she's under contact to the BBC, that they found her this job. Maybe they couldn't get anyone more suited, willing to do it.

With the success of "Bake-Off" yet another naffin' cookery programme, they probably think with her name in the title, (often a give-away for something rubbish), she'll "engage" or in the circumstances "navigate," (a favourite word of the BBC when they are trying to influence the PBP), the Bake-Off viewers will want to watch it.
    Will it include a section on "101 ways to make interesting meals out of naffin' rice?"

Anyway, the BBC want prosecuting under the Trades Descriptions Act. They've described her as a "comedian."

Someone up there likes her, clearly. She had a failed pilot as host of a culinary based quiz panel show, people got tired of her and the other Oxbridge ninny eating stuff in panto gear to recreate food from the past when Heston came along and actually cooked it rather than scoffed it... she's not unattractive, she speaks well and she's well educated but honestly Mel and Sue are upper class charisma vacuums apart and grown women tittering over childish innuendo when they are together. I get Perkins and Balding are basically as safe as can be in their career prospects but for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would watch an hour of her basically having a mid life holiday/what I done on my gap year trip at the expense of the BBC license fee. They sent Russell Brand across America, Stephen Fry across America, Channel 4 sent Sean Lock and John Richardson across America, BBC are sending Perkins up a river... she's not exactly Bruce Parry in terms of being suited for the job, is she?

Seriously, can't these folks just go on holiday without expecting to be commissioned, take a camera crew and get a pay cheque at the end?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone up there likes her, clearly. She had a failed pilot as host of a culinary based quiz panel show, people got tired of her and the other Oxbridge ninny eating stuff in panto gear to recreate food from the past when Heston came along and actually cooked it rather than scoffed it... she's not unattractive, she speaks well and she's well educated but honestly Mel and Sue are upper class charisma vacuums apart and grown women tittering over childish innuendo when they are together. I get Perkins and Balding are basically as safe as can be in their career prospects but for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would watch an hour of her basically having a mid life holiday/what I done on my gap year trip at the expense of the BBC license fee. They sent Russell Brand across America, Stephen Fry across America, Channel 4 sent Sean Lock and John Richardson across America, BBC are sending Perkins up a river... she's not exactly Bruce Parry in terms of being suited for the job, is she?

Seriously, can't these folks just go on holiday without expecting to be commissioned, take a camera crew and get a pay cheque at the end?

That's the way the BBC work, I could never understand the attraction of "Bake Off,"
    BUt I believe it had good viewing figures.
    I accidentally caught a bit once, "Talk about a making a drama out of a doughnut."
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the way the BBC work, I could never understand the attraction of "Bake Off,"
    BUt I believe it had good viewing figures.

Christ, the resentment is palpable through the screen. "Good" viewing figures? It had staggering viewing figures. Still, 12 million people must be wrong when stacked against the wisdom of Doghouse.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Saw the advert. Looks a fascinating place. I won't be watching as I don't really like Sue.

Same here. I find her irritating and not remotely funny. Quite what her qualifications are for doing this also, god knows.
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Don't mind her, I'll tune in. When's it on?

Sunday at 8pm. Luckily I'll be at Hammersmith Apollo watching Billy Idol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Christ, the resentment is palpable through the screen. "Good" viewing figures? It had staggering viewing figures. Still, 12 million people must be wrong when stacked against the wisdom of Doghouse.

Most reality shows, particularly cooking competitions, bring in the ratings. I think the success of the show has more to do with the competitive cooking aspect so people can pick a competitor to side with to support as the show goes on and less to do with the now tired innuendo about soggy bottoms and rolling out the tarts.
  • danny_gamerdanny_gamer Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best place for her..if only the unfunny, supermarket flogger Mel could join her there too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

For cryin' out loud. So a lot of people watched it, but a hell of a lot more watched anything else but that.
    What's wrong with saying it had "good viewing figures." I've absolutely no idea what the exact numbers were as I don't give a toss.

Are you going to say I'm lying?

I'm with David Attenborough, he said there's too many cooking programmes on the BBC.

Are going to have a go at him too?