The Mekong River with Sue Perkins [BBC]

Comments

• Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Lol. Sensitive much? Calm down, luvvie. Have a cuppa and chocolate digestive.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Lol. Sensitive much? Calm down, luvvie. Have a cuppa and chocolate digestive.

Sorry, I'm just replying in kind, a few don't like it. But that's DS for you.

Thanks for the offer of a cuppa and a biscuit, what time should I come round?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    "Sue Perkins embarks on a life-changing journey up the Mekong - South East Asia's greatest river - in this entertaining and illuminating series...".

By entertaining and illuminating I assume they mean excrement. I for one cannot watch another middle-class over-educated bore 'finding' themselves on a 'journey'. How much longer do we have to suffer this cliched ballbag of bollocky self-discovery by the priviledged. She isn't even vaguely likable! At least Palin had that in his favour.

Oh well, I hope she had a lovely time and 'found' herself. Zzzzzzz.

Anyway, I quite like Sue, last thing I saw her present was probably the Foodie thing with Giles Coren.

The Mekong River with Sue Perkins
    BBC Two 20:00
    Sue Perkins embarks on a life-changing, 3,000-mile journey up the Mekong, South East Asia's greatest river, exploring lives and landscapes on the point of dramatic change.

Sounds like another Travelogue type show.
    another middle-class over-educated bore 'finding' themselves on a 'journey'.
    Nothing I can see in the summary about 'finding' herself.
    What are all these other travel shows about people finding themselves?
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I hope not, she is over exposed on t.v., but she ticks a few boxes.

I've never seen people complain about male celebrities being over-exposed - of which there are a few..

It's fine not to like Sue Perkins personally but I don't mind her, so you don't speak for everyone.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For cryin' out loud. So a lot of people watched it, but a hell of a lot more watched anything else but that.
    What's wrong with saying it had "good viewing figures." I've absolutely no idea what the exact numbers were as I don't give a toss.

Are you going to say I'm lying?

I'm with David Attenborough, he said there's too many cooking programmes on the BBC.

Are going to have a go at him too?

12 million viewers probably makes Bake-Off the most watched programme of the year in the UK - that's not "good" viewing figures in this day and age, it's great viewing figures.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with saying it had "good viewing figures." I've absolutely no idea what the exact numbers were as I don't give a toss.

How can you pontificate on a subject you don`t even have the basic facts on? You`re someone who criticises the Beeb on a daily basis year round, and to NOT know about what might quite possibly be THE highest rated show of the year across ANY channel betrays a willingness to ignore the facts when they don`t suit you and somewhat lays bare your bias. You`d think you might give Perkins some credit for doing something other than another cooking show or panel quiz but apparently as far as you`re concerned she should just stay where she is and not stray further into the schedule lest it bother you in some way.
    ...a hell of a lot more watched anything else but that.

Is that you adding up the ratings for EVERY other programme that was on at the same time and using that to belittle the gigantic GBBO rating?!?! I`ve read some partisan posting on here in my time but that has to go down as the weakest of the lot!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    How can you pontificate on a subject you don`t even have the basic facts on? You`re someone who criticises the Beeb on a daily basis year round, and to NOT know about what might quite possibly be THE highest rated show of the year across ANY channel betrays a willingness to ignore the facts when they don`t suit you and somewhat lays bare your bias. You`d think you might give Perkins some credit for doing something other than another cooking show or panel quiz but apparently as far as you`re concerned she should just stay where she is and not stray further into the schedule lest it bother you in some way.

Is that you adding up the ratings for EVERY other programme that was on at the same time and using that to belittle the gigantic GBBO rating?!?! I`ve read some partisan posting on here in my time but that has to go down as the weakest of the lot!

Why are you banging on about it?

I don't like cookery programmes but a lot of people do, that's why there's so many of them and particularly it would seem on BBC channels.
    I've also like many, no time for Sue Perkins,

I'll check of course, but I don't believe that it's a crime to say so.

So you'll have to live with it.
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the way the BBC work, I could never understand the attraction of "Bake Off,"
    BUt I believe it had good viewing figures.
    I accidentally caught a bit once, "Talk about a making a drama out of a doughnut."

They made a drama out of a doughnut, bloody hell, and there's me slagging it off. Is that episode on Iplayer or Youtube :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I'm just replying in kind, a few don't like it. But that's DS for you.

Thanks for the offer of a cuppa and a biscuit, what time should I come round?

Is it just me, or do you two have some sort of DS history, you do don't ya, come on, spill the beans and then say sorry to each other :cry:
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be "That programme sounds interesting and i'd like to find out more about the river so i'll be watching" rather than "oh, I like her - don't care what the programme is about but i'll watch it because she's presenting it".

Conversely, you could say exactly the same about the people who said they won't watch it because they don't like Sue Perkins,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    They made a drama out of a doughnut, bloody hell, and there's me slagging it off. Is that episode on Iplayer or Youtube :p

I think that was the episode I caught during a bit of "passive viewing," I found the dramatic "cookery climaxes" at the end of the programme rather amusing. I think that could be a natural reaction for some on a first viewing.
    I wouldn't watch another programme.
    I know a lot of people liked it and it had "good ratings," but as I often say "each to their own," though some people don't think the world works that way.

They should lighten up a bit and move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do you two have some sort of DS history, you do don't ya, come on, spill the beans and then say sorry to each other :cry:

There's not a question of saying sorry, I say what I think about a programme, particularly if I don't like it, without quoting anyone else in the first place.
    Some "take offence on behalf of the programme" (can you believe it?) and quote my post and have a go at me for criticising it. If I reply "in kind" they often respond with an "I merely." I find that funny.
    I really don't mind which programmes some people like, what difference can it make to me? I've lost count of the times I've posted that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should lighten up a bit and move on.

My Acme IronyMeter 3000 just exploded. I`ll bill you for a new one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Acme IronyMeter 3000 just exploded. I`ll bill you for a new one

Hmm..

Irony?
    Hark at yourself.

Think about it. You started it.
    But you've conveniently forgotten, well....after all it's been a few hours, I can't blame you for short term memory loss, it isn't a crime..

I found your intense and aggressive reaction, to my original post you quoted quite amusing and you didn't move on, you kept coming back for more..

But there you go, that's DS for you.

It's you who need to lighten up and move on.

"It's all just telly."
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Perkins is the apotheosis of the 21st Century BBC, an attractive, witty, leftie lesbian .
    You missed out Oxbridge otherwise pretty well spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

Irony?
    Hark at yourself.

Think about it. You started it.
    But you've conveniently forgotten, well....after all it's been a few hours, I can't blame you for short term memory loss, it isn't a crime..

I found your intense and aggressive reaction, to my original post you quoted quite amusing and you didn't move on, you kept coming back for more..

But there you go, that's DS for you.

It's you who need to lighten up and move on.

"It's all just telly."

I`m sure I speak for all of us when I say we`re just hugely grateful you managed to tear yourself away from the Points of View thread, your home away from home.

This is just another instance of you holding forth on a topic, GBBO, you admit you know nothing about. Why am I even surprised......?

The anti-Perkins sentiment has more than a whiff of good old-fashioned misogyny if you ask me.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`m sure I speak for all of us when I say we`re just hugely grateful you managed to tear yourself away from the Points of View thread, your home away from home.

This is just another instance of you holding forth on a topic, GBBO, you admit you know nothing about. Why am I even surprised......?

The anti-Perkins sentiment has more than a whiff of good old-fashioned misogyny if you ask me.....

I'll try to keep the humour going here, as I can't take your attitude to something on TV too seriously

I make a comment on a programme, making no reference to you.

You quote my post making a snippy comment.

I respond.

Now using my "Acme Irony Meter 4000" (it has an "upgrade") as it has a calculator function.

In exchanges, with you obviously having had the first "go," at me, that made it 1-1.

So the time to move on was then.

Get it?

and I didn't ask you anything.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Conversely, you could say exactly the same about the people who said they won't watch it because they don't like Sue Perkins,
    I'm sure people will but it's more likely that if people don't like the presenting style of a person then they will avoid the programme whereas if it is a pretty much unknown presenter or voiceover the subject will take centre stage rather than who's presenting it.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her so I'll be watching.
    Me too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her so I'll be watching.

daziechain wrote: »
    Me too :)

I'm sure no one who won't be watching it, will mind in the slightest, I hope you enjoy it.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We also like Sue and Mel, so will be watching the programme on Sunday evening...should be interesting and very enjoyable..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll try to keep the humour going here, as I can't take your attitude to something on TV too seriously

I make a comment on a programme, making no reference to you.

You quote my post making a snippy comment.

I respond.

Now using my "Acme Irony Meter 4000" (it has an "upgrade") as it has a calculator function.

In exchanges, with you obviously having had the first "go," at me, that made it 1-1.

So the time to move on was then.

Get it?

and I didn't ask you anything.

Give it a rest you the pair of you, perhaps setting up your own thread would be a wise move, DS is about TV, not personal vendettas.....yes, you, Doghouse and Straker
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you HeidiFleiss ... without this thread I would have never known it was on. :) I shall enter the details into my Sky box. Series linked of course. :cool:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting programme. I've always liked Sue Perkins (despite never watching that baking thing that apparently she is in) and the Mekong region is a fascinating area and well overdue a documentary series. I've been to Cambodia before and just got back from 2 weeks in northern Vietnam. I hope to go back to do the southern half of the country and the Mekong delta next year.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    I've never seen people complain about male celebrities being over-exposed - of which there are a few..

Perhaps you'd like to name them?