Channel 4 Confessions of a Copper

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/confessions-of
Confessions of... explores how life for once-omnipotent professionals has changed in the last 50 years

Nobody watch the program?
Watching on +1, surprised to see a copper admitting that they stuck punters in a cold bath to aide their memory and panda cars rocking at nights in empty carparks or coppers having a nice kip in them.

Edit: series consists of Teachers, Secretary's and Doctors, confessions.

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Former Police Officers telling us about what other officers got up to.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of them had more chins than a chinese phonebook
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a very, very shabby production for Channel 4.

Everything about it, I hardly know where to start. I only tuned in because I spent a few years in the Met in the 80's as a Special - then 7 more years as a PC in a county force.

Most of the episode was using reconstructs of how things were done, with no real focus on any subject matter. Our witnesses were an odd bunch who had brief sentiments on various things, and sometimes questionable in their honesty it felt.

It was a quick rollercoaster ride, using nostalgic film clips, seemingly unverified assertions about practices - good and bad - along with 'links' such as Blair Peach, Stephen Lawrence & through to the introduction of PACE at whistlestop speed.

I've no love or loathing of the police. The programme was meant to be a documentary, the only problem being is that this rubbish did nothing to give any insight worth watching or listening to.

I know this is a series of one offs they've made - next week it's about doctors. The format is clearly wrong, the research laughable and the insight negligible. If they want to bring quality documentaries to us, then consider investing a lot more time/research into one occupation at a time, and create a series for each one.

This felt cheap, cobbled together and nostalgic just for the sake of nostalgia. 40 plus years of policing atiitudes, crammed into little over 40 minutes of viewing to illustrate this and enlighten people somehow.

I'm surprised to see Channel 4 producing and airing such drivel as this - and where I had been planning on catching the rest of the series - think I'll find something better to occupy my time with.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/confessions-of
    Confessions of... explores how life for once-omnipotent professionals has changed in the last 50 years

Nobody watch the program?
    Watching on +1, surprised to see a copper admitting that they stuck punters in a cold bath to aide their memory and panda cars rocking at nights in empty carparks or coppers having a nice kip in them.

Edit: series consists of Teachers, Secretary's and Doctors, confessions.

I have heard far more interesting stories from an ex-police friend!
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    Watched this on catch up, found it very interesting and a bit of an eye opener!!
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the complaint from one of the officers RE: the introduction of tape recorders in interviews that it was "too technical" to be odd. Were we meant to take it literally or was that just his way of politely saying it was/is bollocks or a bit of both?

The beardy guy in the grey suit came across as a dinosaur.