Racist/foul & abbusive language

lounge_actlounge_act Posts: 48
Forum Member
Hi I could do with a second opinion on this please. I volunteer at a social club for individuals with disabilities & there is a voluinteer there who uses foul lanuage in front of & towards the members today for example she said 'that lasagne is taking the f*cking piss' in front of at least 3 members & a carer she has been told about her language before but has not toned it down. She has also used homophobic language in the past. Me & another volunteer were having a cig & she came & sat with us we were discussing the recent horrific murder of a Turkish woman & she said 'that's one less p*ki' the volunteer pointed out that she was Turkish for one & for another it doesn't matter where she was from no one deserves to die the way she did she then went onto say that she has Jamaican neighbours & said ' I know he was black but f*ck me they are something else' & that she couldn't understand a word they say. I rang the kind of manager & told her what had been said & her reaction was that she is a good worker & does a great job in the kitchen!! She said they will give her a verbal warning & warn her about her future conduct. This is not good enough in my opinion & have decided that I cannot continue volunteering somewhere that condones racism I feel it would be a sackable offence in a paid job & it knocks me sick that she will only get a warning am I over reacting by leaving?

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    If you can't work with someone then it's OK to leave. However, put your reason in writing and say you would be happy to come back if circumstances change. Copy it to senior management so they are aware of the situation.
  • lounge_actlounge_act Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    That's great advice thank you :)
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    If you can't work with someone then it's OK to leave. However, put your reason in writing and say you would be happy to come back if circumstances change. Copy it to senior management so they are aware of the situation.

Very good advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    How does a lasagne take the piss?
  • lounge_actlounge_act Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Rosie147 wrote: »
    How does a lasagne take the piss?
    God knows the woman has serious issues