Options

ITV Encore channel

Comments

• Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    It's a poor name choice in my view. The word 'encore' makes me think of repeats, not new original content which ITV have confirmed ITV Encore will be showing in the future.
    I agree, the channel needs a name that will better reflect the fact that viewers get to see some of the content before non-subscribers. Something like ITV Premier or ITV Front Row would seem more logical.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more they play that advert the more annoying that song gets!
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I guess the issue is whether you define The Bill and Casualty as soap operas. I think The Bill probably is/was. I think Drama is a great channel though.

Soaps are a type of drama anyway. They are serial dramas.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    The more they play that advert the more annoying that song gets!

Saw it 3 times in one ad break :o
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the original drama will be so good it makes you want to cry out encore! I agree it is a poor choice of name but I would prefer a rubbish name and good content. Some of the best channels have funny names.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV seems to be moving to a subscription era. How long before all ITV channels are susbcription and how many would subscribe . ITV Encore repeat or first run channel. What percentage will be repeats and what percentage will be first run
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    ITV seems to be moving to a subscription era. How long before all ITV channels are susbcription and how many would subscribe . ITV Encore repeat or first run channel. What percentage will be repeats and what percentage will be first run

No, it's one subscription channel, it's not going to make them hand in the PSB licence for Channel 3.

Also they are not subscription, it is a "basic pay" channel, which means anyone with a pay tv subscription would be able to watch it, so in terms of how many will subscribe, currently the near 11 million Sky customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soaps are a type of drama anyway. They are serial dramas.
    Agreed but the question was - does Drama show soap operas? Darrenh2011 said it did not, I provided examples to show it probably does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    ...so in terms of how many will subscribe, currently the near 11 million Sky customers.
    Probably under 10m as it will not be shown in the Republic of Ireland and Sky's headline subscriber figures always includes the Republic.
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's only one channel which is probably only subscription because Sky wanted ITV to have a subscription channel and offered them a good deal. For ITV it's more lucrative for them to have their channels free to air but like I said it's probably more sky's idea and money that made the wheels turn for ITV to make it free to air. itv be will be launching later this year and it will be free to air.
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I agree, the channel needs a name that will better reflect the fact that viewers get to see some of the content before non-subscribers. Something like ITV Premier or ITV Front Row would seem more logical.

itv encore is an ok name, there is no problem with the name. ITV premier would suggest that it would be a premium service that you pay extra for such as premier banking. ITV Front Row would suggest some kind of movie service with new movies. an Encore is when you want a repeat or continuation of what you saw, itv encore will be doing that.
    davebav50 wrote: »
    My dictionary defines Encore as "a repeated or additional performance of an item", so surely its just an ITV "Gold" channel. Nothing to get excited about?

ITV Gold is too much like the UKTV channel GOLD which is kind of why you don't see many channels using the Gold apart from GOLD
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    itv encore is an ok name, there is no problem with the name. ITV premier would suggest that it would be a premium service that you pay extra for such as premier banking. ITV Front Row would suggest some kind of movie service with new movies. an Encore is when you want a repeat or continuation of what you saw, itv encore will be doing that.

But ITV Encore won't only be showing 'a repeat or continuation of what you saw', it will also be showing brand new content. So i still think it's a poor name choice. I agree about 'ITV Front Row' sounding too movie themed though.
    I quite like 'ITV Premier' as a name though. You say it would suggest that it would be a premium service that you pay extra for - but thats what it is. ITV is a free to service. This new channel requires you to pay extra to view it.

So, i still think ITV Encore is a poor name as it's connotations, for me at lease, are of repeats and classic programmes.

We are of course allowed to not agree. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But ITV Encore won't only be showing 'a repeat or continuation of what you saw', it will also be showing brand new content. So i still think it's a poor name choice. I agree about 'ITV Front Row' sounding too movie themed though.
    I quite like 'ITV Premier' as a name though. You say it would suggest that it would be a premium service that you pay extra for - but thats what it is. ITV is a free to service. This new channel requires you to pay extra to view it.

So, i still think ITV Encore is a poor name as it's connotations, for me at lease, are of repeats and classic programmes.

We are of course allowed to not agree. :)

The new channel does not require you to "pay extra" to view it, it requires you to have Pay TV, which is totally different to paying extra
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new channel does not require you to "pay extra" to view it, it requires you to have Pay TV, which is totally different to paying extra

It requires you to pay for a Sky subscription to view it, to me that means you are paying to view it (along with all the other Sky channels).
    It depends on your view point i suppose, i would guess that most ITV viewers who only have Freeview would say that you have to pay extra to view ITV Encore compared all the other ITV channels which they recieve for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It requires you to pay for a Sky subscription to view it, to me that means you are paying to view it (along with all the other Sky channels).
    It depends on your view point i suppose, i would guess that most ITV viewers who only have Freeview would say that you have to pay extra to view ITV Encore compared all the other ITV channels which they recieve for free.

Using the words "Pay Extra" suggests that you pay a premium just for the channel though
  • Options
    davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps ITV Choice or ITV Prime Choice would make more sense?
    I was on holiday in Southern France recently and noted that ITV2 HD, which is encrypted, can be picked up on a tiny satelite dish in my caravan. So If it is encrpted that will be good news for ex pats.
  • Options
    Condor7Condor7 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Well there is going to be a HD version.
    Doubt it - may of the drama's will be a few years old and made in SD. The channel doesn't have a big enough budget to start upgrading all the programmes. There will be a really wide range of different programmes - some very new, some from a few years ago.
    popeye13 wrote: »
    It will be launching in HD, read the thread!!

I have read the threads but it just someone saying it will be in HD.
    Not that I doubt it, but on what is that based?
    I have scoured the press releases for the station and there is no mention of HD at all.
    Of course I may have missed it but would be grateful if you could let us know on what that information is based.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    It is currently testing in both HD and SD formats under the "add channels" section on the Sky+HD box - there is also a +1 version testing too. All are currently running a full schedule of programmes for example the other day Peak Practice and Miss Marple were showing.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Condor7 wrote: »
    I have scoured the press releases for the station and there is no mention of HD at all.
    Of course I may have missed it but would be grateful if you could let us know on what that information is based.
    Thanks.

Based on that it is currently testing, in HD, as we speak :)

And that it would be pretty daft to launch a new channels, expect you to pay for it, from ITV, and it be SD only..
    Same as ITVbe (When it launches) will be in HD, with the HD version being like ITV2, 3 & 4 HD, pay channels, with just the SD version free.
  • Options
    PotsdamerplatzPotsdamerplatz Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Some of the people rubbishing ITV Encore and claiming they don't need it and are quite happy with ITV3 are going to be disappointed.

Most of the quality stuff (albeit repeats) is going to be shown exclusively on the new channel - Broadchurch, Lucan, Endeavour and Vera being a few examples.

ITV3 will be left with endless repeats of Poirot, Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes, Murder She Wrote, Prime Suspect, Cracker, Foyle's War, A Touch of Frost and other drama that has been continually flogged to death over the past decade.

I see ITV3 are even showing French Open tennis during the day now. A sign of things to come perhaps? :o

And if that doesn't take your fancy there's always On The Buses, Man About The House and Only When I Laugh.

We'll see if the Sky haters are still happy a few months down the road once they've been driven daft by the above on a daily basis. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condor7 wrote: »
    Thanks.

It was also confirmed by a member of senior ITV staff on Twitter, but the obvious one being it's DSAT tests in HD
  • Options
    Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking at the schedule it just looks like ITV3.

MON 9 JUNE

9:00pm BROADHCHURCH
    10:00pm BROADCHURCH
    11:00pm THE ICE CREAM GIRLS
    12:05am FILM: INTO THE BLUE
    2:05am INSPECTOR WEXFORD

TUE 10 JUNE

12:00NOON RUTH RENDELL
    1:05pm RUTH RENDELL
    2:10pm RUTH RENDELL
    3:15pm KAVANAGH QC
    4:50pm ALWAYS & EVERYONE
    5:55pm MAIGRET
    7:00pm TBA
    9:00pm BROADCHURCH
    12:05am INSPECTOR WEXFORD
    2:10am ROBIN OF SHERWOOD
    3:05am ALWAYS AND EVERYONE

MON 16 JUNE

Peak Practice re-runs from episode 1.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that some of the programmes made by thames makes it on to itv encore. Minder from episode 1 and rumpole of the bailey as well.
  • Options
    PotsdamerplatzPotsdamerplatz Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I hope that some of the programmes made by thames makes it on to itv encore. Minder from episode 1 and rumpole of the bailey as well.

Yeah ITV3 used to show a lot of good shows early on Sunday mornings - Rumpole of the Bailey and Minder you've mentioned already. Other favourites of mine were Raffles, Hannay, Cribb and Bramwell.

Wouldn't mind seeing some of the above again as they haven't been shown for quite a few years at least now. Even in a through-the-night slot would be cool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Ivor Fanny wrote: »
    looking at the schedule it just looks like ITV3.

MON 9 JUNE

9:00pm BROADHCHURCH
    12:05am FILM: INTO THE BLUE
    2:05am INSPECTOR WEXFORD

TUE 10 JUNE

12:00NOON RUTH RENDELL
    1:05pm RUTH RENDELL
    2:10pm RUTH RENDELL
    3:15pm KAVANAGH QC
    4:50pm ALWAYS & EVERYONE
    5:55pm MAIGRET
    7:00pm TBA
    9:00pm BROADCHURCH
    12:05am INSPECTOR WEXFORD
    2:10am ROBIN OF SHERWOOD
    3:05am ALWAYS AND EVERYONE

MON 16 JUNE

Peak Practice re-runs from episode 1.

Where were these listings sourced, would like to see full schedule for week 1!
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tempobus wrote: »
    Where were these listings sourced, would like to see full schedule for week 1!

Digiguide has listing.