The X Files: I Want to Believe

1235»

Comments

• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I'm glad I waited 5 years for your review before watching it. I'll go and watch it now.

Iron Man came out the same year, is that any good too? Let me know before they make a sequel.

sorry i was abducted 5 years ago.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I watched it again last night and it just seems like a padded out episode of the tv series, and a boring episode at that. My feeling after watching it was "was that it?"
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    So underrated. I really liked it more than i thought i would.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never liked it
    A weak plot and I found Scully so unlikeable, which is a shame as Scully remains one of the top Female science fiction characters for me alongside Buffy, Xena and Sam Carter.

We waited seven years and this was all we got. The cast and crew have since blamed Dark knight for why it never took off, but it was simply because it wasn't a good script and it did not have that Magic it once have
  • anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really hope this isn't the closing chapter of The X Files... a third movie or a miniseries would be absolutely wonderful still if they don't repeat the mistakes they made here. Seriously, I don't know what anyone was thinking with this.

they did the anniversary panel this year at comicon (its on youtube if you want to watch it, and from that it does seem that chris cater, Gillian and David would all be open to another film so who knows, fingers crossed.

and for those who love the tv series, the new tv channel Lifetime (channel 156 on sky) is showing it again from the first series on Tuesdays.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    The film was awful. I mainly watched out of interest to see whether Mulder and Scully got it together but it was...horrible. Yeah, it's nice that we get to see them as a couple but because of that, they don't respect each other as professionals any more. It's more like 'OMG, my boyfriend/partner/sort-of-husband is in danger!' And their domestics were abysmally written: "I don't want that darkness in my home!" Please, are we meant to believe that Scully's given everything up to play cosy housewife to beardy Mulder?

I don't fundamentally disagree with them as a couple. In fact, it would be implausible if after ten years of tension they didn't give romance a try. The thing with M and S was not so much that they had to be together but that they couldn't be with anyone else. Some of that tension- an inability to work as a standard couple but unable to find a bond elsewhere that can match their own- would have been interesting to explore. There was no sexual tension or indeed any hint of sexual attraction. I don't know how their relationship ended up beyond Season 6 but I think all viewers really wanted was some kind of relief from the tension (they do the deed/have a brief romance), rather than a happily ever after!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have 4 episodes left of s9 on my x files rewatch, after that i think i will enjoy this film alot more than this time last year when i bumped the thread.

last year i watched it out of nostalgia, i couldn't remember any of the characters/storylines in much depth.

we need one more film!
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I remember watching The Mothman Prophecies and thinking that with a change of cast, that would have been a great X-Files movie.