Options

Cancelled /Renew Shows & Pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    Good in my view, it means i don't have to watch the rest of the season. it really wasn't doing it for me.

Perhaps they'll stop making TV shows about 'life after death' meaningful stuff but take ages to get any where with them.

They are just teasing most of the time.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Interesting to see Dave, very slowly, starting to pick up some US shows.

Yip, with this and Parks and Recreation they're starting to broaden their channel.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penny Dreadful renewed for a nine episode third season.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Starz has give the adaptation of Neil Gaiman's fantasy novel American Gods a straight-to-series order. Nothing was specified about number of episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Yip, with this and Parks and Recreation they're starting to broaden their channel.

TVWise had some interesting coverage on Dave the other day. UKTV apparently feel Suits has helped shift perceptions of Dave, and they've been looking for something American to go with Suits for a while now. Apparently they feel Parks & Rec. is the right show for that.

Can't see the two going well together myself, but good luck to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Gods sounds brilliant. I read about them adapting this to television about a year or so ago. Plus Bryan Fuller is apart of it and he is one of the most underrated writers on television.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penny Dreadful renewed for a nine episode third season.

Why only nine and not ten like S2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Why only nine and not ten like S2?

No idea
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is that Showtime has Twin Peaks next year which will be 18 episodes split into two which is 9 episodes each and they want to pair it with Penny Dreadful.

I wonder how Showtime is going to fit all these new shows with Billions, Twin Peaks as well as their existing shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    My guess is that Showtime has Twin Peaks next year which will be 18 episodes split into two which is 9 episodes each and they want to pair it with Penny Dreadful.

I wonder how Showtime is going to fit all these new shows with Billions, Twin Peaks as well as their existing shows.

Hmm you could be right. Penny Dreadful and Twin Peaks would be an ace pairing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen the first 2 episodes of 'Complications'.
    It is well filmed and acted but it suffers from having characters and situations that I have little sympathy for.
    I'm going to call it a one season show.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,812
    Forum Member
    Just seen the first 2 episodes of 'Complications'.
    It is well filmed and acted but it suffers from having characters and situations that I have little sympathy for.
    I'm going to call it a one season show.

I agree. I've also watched the first 2 episodes and it has a certain amount of promise, but it could run out of steam for me.

I'm going to watch episode 3 when available, but if that doesn't work for me then I may give the rest of the series a miss. It really could go either way for me, but it does seem unlikely to go beyond a first series in any case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannibal has been cancelled after 3 seasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Hannibal has been cancelled after 3 seasons.

Was the series worth it in terms of exploring and explaining the Hannibal character?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was the series worth it in terms of exploring and explaining the Hannibal character?

I haven't read the books or seen the films, but It's an astounding show. It is so good and so uncompromising you'll be amazed it lasted on NBC for three seasons. It's completely different to anything else on TV, and the acting is fantastic. That said, if you have a week stomach, don't bother. It's the kind of show that would be pushing it content-wise, even on HBO.

It has an incredibly rabid fanbase (and by all accounts is fairly cheap thanks to a co-production deal), so I'd be amazed if it doesn't get revived by somebody. It's currently streaming on Amazon Prime Instant Video (in the US at least), and they've just announced a push for more original content, so maybe they'll pick it up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think everyone liked the first 2 seasons. We're only 2 episodes into season 3 in the UK however.

To be honest the show is better suited on cable and probably wouldn't have been cancelled if it was. NBC was always going to cancel it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly a shock. While I didn't think much to it, it was too dark to be on network television. It would be much more suitable on Showtime or FX. Add it with Twin Peaks and Penny Dreadful, and you have a triple threat programming there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Comeback has been renewed for a third season. But despite a renewal, Michael Patrick King has said the third season won't be made anytime soon. It could be a few years until they decide to actually write and film it. They want to do it in their own time.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the first couple of episodes of Hannibal Season 3 are anything to go by, I can't say i'm massively surprised it's been cancelled as i've found them to be rather dull and pretentious.

Don't get me wrong, it's very stylish and Mads Mikkelsen has certainly established himself as the definitive Hannibal Lecter IMO, but it's just not doing it for me at the moment.

Just reading that a rights issue might have been part of the decision with Fuller seemingly wanting to introduce Clarice Starling in a 4th Season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems fans are campaigning for the show to be picked up by Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Having saved Arrested development, The Killing and Longmire, will Netflix want to save another show despite making it clear they want to remain with just their own creations?
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,812
    Forum Member
    It seems fans are campaigning for the show to be picked up by Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Having saved Arrested development, The Killing and Longmire, will Netflix want to save another show despite making it clear they want to remain with just their own creations?

I watched the first season of Hannibal but gave up after a couple of episodes of season 2.

I like Mads Mikkelsen as an actor but the programme for me seemed to become very pretentious. Given that it has been kept going this long, but with low viewing figures throughout, I'd be surprised if Netflix did bother when there's other, more audience grabbing programmes that they can show.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the first couple of episodes of Hannibal Season 3 are anything to go by, I can't say i'm massively surprised it's been cancelled as i've found them to be rather dull and pretentious.

Don't get me wrong, it's very stylish and Mads Mikkelsen has certainly established himself as the definitive Hannibal Lecter IMO, but it's just not doing it for me at the moment.

Just reading that a rights issue might have been part of the decision with Fuller seemingly wanting to introduce Clarice Starling in a 4th Season.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, I've read somewhere that
    Hannibal will be caught mid season 3 and the latter half will retell Manhunter. If that's the case - it's a good place to leave it to be honest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gillypoots wrote: »
    I watched the first season of Hannibal but gave up after a couple of episodes of season 2.

I like Mads Mikkelsen as an actor but the programme for me seemed to become very pretentious. Given that it has been kept going this long, but with low viewing figures throughout, I'd be surprised if Netflix did bother when there's other, more audience grabbing programmes that they can show.

I agree. Very pretentious. I also wasn't keen on Mads's portrayal of Hannibal Lector, as well as how weak and forgettable the supporting characters were. I don't think they work together well. Not like Bryan Fuller's previous shows where the casting were simply spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Given Hannibal has an exclusive streaming deal with Amazon Prime, I'd be very very surprised if it went to Netflix.

But it has a co-production deal, and as a result is, by all reports, very cheap to NBC, so it'll probably go somewhere.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe MGM has the rights to Clarice Starling because they distributed the film version of Silence of the Lambs whereas Dino De Laurentiis who originally produced Manhunter and also Hannibal and Red Dragon owns the rights to Hannibal Lecter but he passed on making Silence of the Lambs but loaned the rights to Hannibal to the producers of Lambs for free.