Options

Capaldi Strongly Reminiscent of T Baker This Season

Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whilst I was bored almost into ennui by the most recent episode 'Under the Lake' the one thing I am continuing to find remarkable is how Peter Capaldi is channeling Tom Baker this season.

His mode of speech, his delivery of lines, his cadence this season is so Baker-like it can only be deliberate. I really wonder why. It was evident last season but not to the same extent.

I occasionally catch snippets of other Doctors too. There was definitely some deliberate McCoy early in the Witch's Familiar.

I'm enjoying his performances a lot, especially in the opening two-parter (I think that his performance combined with his appearance (hair and clothing) was the best yet for his Doctor), I'm just curious about his approach to the role this year.

I'm not sure there's been a previous Doctor where I've felt they've been so strongly influenced by a previous incumbent. I don't want to use the word 'imitate' but God, it's a strong similarity.

Comments

• Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's really got it nailed as the Doctor now, as of this episode. Whether that involves him channeling Baker or whatever...it's unmistakeablely the Doctor we are watching!
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its common knowledge that Capaldi is a big fan, at this point. I'm sure he's intentionally channelling childhood memories, whilst at the same time, adding bits of his own performance. There are element s that define the Doctor for all fans and I'm sure Capaldi has much the same view.

Tom Baker is the definitive Doctor for many viewers. Perhaps that's Capaldi's era, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's really got it nailed as the Doctor now, as of this episode. Whether that involves him channeling Baker or whatever...it's unmistakeablely the Doctor we are watching!

I don't like to respond to my own OP too quickly but I just want to clarify: I am really enjoying his performances. I just find his approach so curious.
  • Options
    Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a direct response to the complaints of people not being able to understand him, personally. It was probably mandated.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a direct response to the complaints of people not being able to understand him, personally. It was probably mandated.

Then they should do what we do when we watched Rab C Nesbitt.

Put the subtitles on! :D
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, there's odd line and words where Capaldi sounds very Tom Bakerish. Makes me smile every time, I love it. I mean, who wouldn't want to sound like Tom Baker? He has such a wonderful voice!
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually reminded of William Hartnell; possibly because I am watching Dr Who on Horror channel.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why was he doing Tom Baker impersonations last series then if that was the case?

Did BBC Execs travel forward in time and find out Viewers couldn't understand Capaldi and told him to sound more like Tom Baker when they went back?
  • Options
    Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Why was he doing Tom Baker impersonations last series then if that was the case?

Did BBC Execs travel forward in time and find out Viewers couldn't understand Capaldi and told him to sound more like Tom Baker when they went back?
    I remember one specific Tom Baker impersonation in Mummy On The Orient Express, what were the others?

I don't think he's doing impersonations now, just edging more towards RP than his native accent.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Capaldi last night, I was reminded only of Patrick Troughton. Didn't get Tom Baker, just Patrick with that mischevious smile.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely get the Baker vibe, with others mixed in - grumpy Hartnell etc. All the same, I think it's just part of the bigger homage to the past we've been seeing in the past year. The flashbacks to previous doctors etc. The Doctor is the sum of all his past selves, it's possible that because Toms voice is so strong it's easer to spot when it's referenced. I suspect some of this relates to giving non-UK fans the chance to get the back character, maximising the shows international appeal has to be top of the agenda right now. All in all, Capaldi is doing a great job - plus this seasons hairstyle suits very much!

Who knows, maybe he'll soon meet someone he takes a fancy too and we see a bit of McGann.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've picked up a bit of Tennant and Smith at times as well as Baker. I'm really enjoying it!
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    On second viewing 'Under the Lake' is reminds me of the magic chemistry between Tom Baker and Lis Sladen in their second season. Not because I think Capaldi strongly echoes Tom, but because The Doctor's and Clara's connection is now very similar to 4th's and Sarah Jane. I now think it is a shame Clara is leaving as Capaldi's and Coleman's ease with each other is something I'd like to continue.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember one specific Tom Baker impersonation in Mummy On The Orient Express, what were the others?

I don't think he's doing impersonations now, just edging more towards RP than his native accent.

There was a line or two in Deep Breath where he sounded like him.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more with the OP, Capaldi's mannerisms and delivery are getting more and more like Tom Baker, which probably helps to explain why I am enjoying the show so much at the moment.

I really struggled during the Matt Smith years, his take on the Doctor just didn't do it for me I'm afraid, but thankfully the show is right back on track as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    It has appeared for many years that Who actors have gone out of their way not to be Tom. Probably put off by his success.

Liking that we have an actor that can channel him as well as he himself did.

None of it seems forced or awkward. Even his enthusiasm works well, far better than the other three nu-Who's who sometimes got a bit childish for my tastes.

It's not without flaws but I am excited to see what he does next which I haven't felt for a long time now. I am seeing some moans floating around but this season has been one of the best in the series history ... so far. Fingers crossed.

Please no more tanks, electric guitars and shades though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    Watching Capaldi last night, I was reminded only of Patrick Troughton. Didn't get Tom Baker, just Patrick with that mischevious smile.

I got a bit of Troughton too (my first Doctorr) I guess this all goes to show Capaldi is a pretty good Doctor after all.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if anything, his Doctor reminds me more of COLIN Baker than Tom.

Not in the bad taste clothes, shouty, strangling sense though!

What reminds me of the Sixth Doctor is his often rudeness and telling it how it is part of his Doctor's character. He doesn't care if he upsets people though judging by the cards in last Saturday's episode, Clara is helping him with that!

:)
  • Options
    MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with the OP, Capaldi's mannerisms and delivery are getting more and more like Tom Baker, which probably helps to explain why I am enjoying the show so much at the moment.

I really struggled during the Matt Smith years, his take on the Doctor just didn't do it for me I'm afraid, but thankfully the show is right back on track as far as I am concerned.

I've noticed a few times that he had delivered his lines in a Tom Baker style and I'm all for that as Tom Baker is my favourite doctor. However,I have to say that Matt Smith is my secind favourite, he brilliantly portrayed the doctor and even my dad - who has watched doctor who since the very first broadcast and thinks William hartnell is the best - thought he was amazing in the role and out acted both David tennant and John hurt in the 50th anniversary special. I understand that we all have different opinions, but for me Matt Smith conveyed the innocence of the Doctor as he sometimes struggled to understand the human race whilst conveying the experience and wisdom of a time Lord.
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that PC has, on occasion, been strongly reminiscent of Tom Baker (and perhaps more so this series - so far - than last series). But there are flashes of other Doctors in there, too.

However, last night I had a conversation with the grandmother of some friends of mine, in which she disclosed she finds PC strongly reminiscent of Clint Eastwood.

I almost dare not watch tomorrow night in case I find myself agreeing.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just read this thread. Capaldi is nothing like tom baker at all. Like daveyboy says more colin baker and can see a bit of pertwee but tom baker? You all drunk?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's elements of the 6th Doctor in the characterization yes, but I was talking more about Capaldi's speech.

For an example see the very first scene of 'Under the Lake' where he talks to the TARDIS. If you don't get 'Tom Baker vibe' overload then you you can't know the 4th Doctor very well.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he starts handing out jelly babies to everyone then we start getting worried lol
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or start wearing a long scarf! I watched last weeks episode late last night and could only see a slight hint. Probably capaldis best performance so far. He's very much his own doctor.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he starts handing out jelly babies to everyone then we start getting worried lol

re-watch 'Mummy'...::)