Options

Remakes of classics

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just found out Romancing the Stone is getting a remake. It's due in 2011.

Link

So any other remakes you know of which is due in the near future?

Comments

• Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Hollywood really are running out of ideas, apparantly Robocop's due to be remade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I swear to god. if jurassic park is ever remade, There'l be blood!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Again another 80's film. It's just down to the people that saw the films and seres as kids are now in their 90's and working in the industry and want to remake theur childhood.
    In about 15-20 it will be lots of films and TV series from the 90's getting the remakes as the next batch of kids grown up arrive.
    Jump forward another 15-20 years and it will be remakes of the film in the last 10 years. No doubt a film version of Heroes, Prison Break and 24.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Remakes happen all the time. It is just a fact of life. Remember Psycho getting remade by Gus Van Saint a few years ago? Plus the "hilarious" remake of The Ladykillers by the Coen Brothers(oh dear avoid it!).

Other films that have been re made is Bad Lieutenant(this time with Nicholas Cage).

Plus both The Long Good Friday, and Mona Lisa are getting US remakes.

One day we can expect Citizen Kane getting remade!
  • Options
    DutyPaidDutyPaid Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I was just on IMDB looking at Clint Eastwoods profile. I then found my way on to Jeff Bridges profile via Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Bridges will be playing Rooster Cogburn in a Coen Brothers remake of True Grit.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remakes are getting abit frustating, the odd remake is fine some of them are atcully good. BUT THEY ARE GOING WELL OVERBOARD, and the quaitly isn't even there, Night Mare On EElm Street for example.

It Can't be that hard to think of an original movie, i could probally think up about 20 in an hour.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Other films that have been re made is Bad Lieutenant(this time with Nicholas Cage).

It's a lot different to the original, and made by a top notch film maker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A prequel of The Thing is due.
    Stephen Kings IT,i heard the script got handed in just after new year.
    Jeepers creepers 3 starts filming soon.
    Escape from New York remake has been given the green light,id rather see a part3 than a remake,supposedly John Carpenter has a script called Escape from Earth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Rhodes666 wrote: »
    A prequel of The Thing is due.
    Stephen Kings IT,i heard the script got handed in just after new year.
    Jeepers creepers 3 starts filming soon.
    Escape from New York remake has been given the green light,id rather see a part3 than a remake,supposedly John Carpenter has a script called Escape from Earth.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but Jeepers creepers 3 isn't a remake it's a sequel, and The Thing is a prequel.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fashion wrote: »
    Hollywood really are running out of ideas, apparantly Robocop's due to be remade.

why would hollywood & the british film industry be running out of ideas?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. ANother classic film ruined by a crap remake (I know, I haven't seen it but I have yet to see a remake that is better than the original).
    I am giving up with watching new films. No new or original ideas in Hollywood at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Hollywood is dead. I think the world needs something new. Something which ventures away from pretty CGI.

European cinema is amazing but it's (a) not in English so no one will watch and (b) doesn't have millions spent on shiny CGI to make cities look fantastic.

I am going to crawl under a rug and watch German films from now on, danke.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Theres the argument that its always been remaking the same basic couple narratives since the beginning. Who cares anyways, anything has the chance of being great, or failing horribly. It doesn't cost me anything for them to try, fear seems to be based on the strange idea that people will somehow find a mediocre remake so amazing that they'll forget an original.. it just doesn't work that way. When a remake fails, the original only gets free press, look at psycho. When a remake succeeds like with batman,i'm sure there was interest driven up for the burton films as well. Its hard to lose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Hollywood is dead. I think the world needs something new. Something which ventures away from pretty CGI.

European cinema is amazing but it's (a) not in English so no one will watch and (b) doesn't have millions spent on shiny CGI to make cities look fantastic.

non-English should not be a barrier to watching a film, and I pity the fools (in best B.A voice) who miss out on such treats because they lack the brain power to handle it. As for "they lack CGI to make cities look great", well I disagree, not with the lack of CGI, but cinematography of many world cinema films is fantastic, just by using natural locations and good visual techniques. Motorcycle diaries - a film with superb vistas, and any film by J. P Jeunet - a visual treat better than any CGI bollocks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst one ever in my view: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

The 1950s version is an all time classic with an important and logical message.

We had newly aquaired nukes....and, the means to put them into space, hence, we became a Threat to "them out there". So, they came here, and said "Play nice, dont you DARE take those things out into space, or we'll turn this rock into ash"......

New version. Aliens came down to stop us messing up OUR planet. So we were NO threat to "them out there", so why would they give a damn? And then, he turns off electricity at the end, which would result in the deaths of billions, through war, starvation, sickness...etc...........pointless all round.

The special effects in the 1950s version were better too..... :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it is pretty easy to see where this is all going.

Hollywood has run out of ideas. Can they remake RoboCop again after this new rmake? Remakes of remakes? No, I think, like TV to a certaion degree, film is becoming obsolete.

The future? Games.

Why watch a film, when you can take part in one.......? Was'nt some war game released this year the biggest "Entertainment release of all time" made billions. Probably beaten by Avatar, but thats a video game too, with fans saying "they want to live in Pandora".......Cant do that with a film, but you could in a simulation.....
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superior wrote: »
    Hollywood has run out of ideas. Can they remake RoboCop again after this new rmake? Remakes of remakes? No, I think, like TV to a certaion degree, film is becoming obsolete.

I don't think movies are becoming obsolete, nor do I think Hollywood has run out of ideas. I just think that the studios are unwilling to financially back new ideas in this current economic climate. Taking a punt on a tried and tested story, with the added nostalgia factor is likely to guarantee a better box office draw than a brand new pitch.