Radio presenters that don't seem to like each other

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    when chris evans had the R1 breakfast show he used to hand over to simon mayo and used to be very catty and sometimes would give away the year on the golden hour.

i seem to remember there being a big spat on r5 breakfast show a few years ago.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Didn't Chris Evans have some problems with his team when he worked at Radio 1?

I'm not sure if he did during his time at Radio 1, but once he axed them from the Virgin breakfast show and turned it into a double-header between him and the Sports Reporter (IIRC) I expect they weren't happy.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slane wrote: »
    Nicky Campbell and Victoria Derbyshire?

Victoria Derbyshire & Fi Glover, perhaps not surprisingly ;)
  • anonymous_user_1anonymous_user_1 Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I know of one public spat regarding two ex R1 Dj's, and one who now works for R2... I let some of you find that one out...
    That'll be the one about money being lent for a house and then trying to claim the other's record collection when repayment became an issue.
  • ian001ian001 Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Nicky Cambell and Mark Goodier fall out over some coments that Nicky made during the handover from his afternoon show to Mark's drive time show on Radio 1? I seem to recall it was around summer 1996.

Their handovers were always very insincere and it came to a head when Nicky insinuated that Mark spent much of his time on air running his production company Wise Buddah. After that, the handovers stopped. Though, Mark gave an interview some time ago that they do get on well now.

Nicky Campbell and Simon Mayo also used to make jibes at each other (Nicky quipping "He's young and enthusiastic" after one of Mayo's promos).

I don't think Bruno Brookes endeared himself to many of his colleagues with some of his notorious reluctance to open his wallet at social events.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    That'll be the one about money being lent for a house and then trying to claim the other's record collection when repayment became an issue.

I've gone through this whole thread to see if another contributor had followed this one up. It's the same one I thought about too concerning a certain DJ who was often seen wearing tank tops on a certain music television programme in the 70s (now on Radio 2) and another, who I'm sure had a brief relationship with Anthea Turner before she married Peter Powell (I'm sure I also read that there was a bit of awkwardness between Powell and the aforementioned ex- boyfriend).

I thought that this story was dealt with very well in the autobiography, which also mentioned a funny story involving Simon Bates.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Northampton presenter Bernie Keith has revealed on air that he and Richard Spendlove don't get on to say the least (Richard apparently phoned him on his home telephone ranting and raving about something Bernie had said about him on air)

Nationally, I've always assumed that back in the day Chris Evens probably rubbed just about everyone up the wrong way at one time or another.

I think he's mellowed a lot now though and is embarassed about how he used to behave.
  • mcampbell595mcampbell595 Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Everyone/DLT

Dave Lee Travis loathes Danny Baker :D
    Forum Member
    I met Adrian Juste at out Local Hospital Radio where he was asked to do a one off show. I mentioned a couple of his R1 collegues, and the impression he gave, he didn't really like them.

Dave Lee Travis, Simon Bates and Adrian Juste are still bitter about the changes made to Radio 1 back in 1993. Almost twenty years on, the three of them are still pissed off about it. Tough. They had to go back then because they were too old for Radio 1.

Move on, guys. Everyone else has :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ian001 wrote: »
    Their handovers were always very insincere and it came to a head when Nicky insinuated that Mark spent much of his time on air running his production company Wise Buddah. After that, the handovers stopped. Though, Mark gave an interview some time ago that they do get on well now.

Nicky Campbell and Simon Mayo also used to make jibes at each other (Nicky quipping "He's young and enthusiastic" after one of Mayo's promos).

I don't think Bruno Brookes endeared himself to many of his colleagues with some of his notorious reluctance to open his wallet at social events.

Nicky Campbell was quite vocal about Chris Moyles when he joined Radio 1 in July 1997, so their paths barely crossed, though in that short time I never once heard him say anything positive about Moyles.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Everyone/DLT

This.

Hands down. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DLT was a miserable b*gger...:D
    Forum Member
    DLT was a miserable b*gger...:D

I find it ironic that DLT thought his tired radio format was fit for purpose on a youth station. Tuning in to him was like listening to your grandfather playing his collection of old 45s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Noel Edmonds ever have any fueds? You would think he'd be the kind of personality that would make quite a few enemies, but very few radio people seem to have much to say about him (unlike television, where he made loads of enemies)

Kenny Everett is someone else that nobody has a bad word to say about (though of course that could be because he's dead)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Lee Travis and Simon Bates didn't gone on which surprised me.

Ken Bruce and Russel Brand I don't think got on (no surprise there)

Alan Brazil/Ian Wright/Stan Collymore/George Galloway/James Whale....dislike Jon Gaunt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Gaunt & many he's worked with.

Liz Kershaw & many she's worked with.

Joanne Malin & pretty well everyone she's worked with.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it ironic that DLT thought his tired radio format was fit for purpose on a youth station. <snip>

DLT gave an interview to The Sun after his resignation and I seem to remember him saying he didn't fit on a youth network and had asked if they were making changes to Radio 1 if he could move to Radio 2 but was turned down.
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    DLT gave an interview to The Sun after his resignation and I seem to remember him saying he didn't fit on a youth network and had asked if they were making changes to Radio 1 if he could move to Radio 2 but was turned down.

You're right. DLT approached Frances Line, who was then the controller of Radio 2, and offered his services. She declined his offer. I'm not sure why, though.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right. DLT approached Frances Line, who was then the controller of Radio 2, and offered his services. She declined his offer. I'm not sure why, though.

I think it was because Radio 2 was aimed squarely at over 50s at the time. DLT apparently asked the then head of BBC rfadio where the 30 and 40 somethings who had listened to him could go to and was told Richard Branson was serving that audience!
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    I think it was because Radio 2 was aimed squarely at over 50s at the time. DLT apparently asked the then head of BBC rfadio where the 30 and 40 somethings who had listened to him could go to and was told Richard Branson was serving that audience!

I know! It was appalling the way the BBC disenfranchised such a huge demographic! Virgin Radio launched in early 1993, about six or seven months before the cull at Radio 1. A lot of listeners defected to Virgin Radio.

It wasn't until 1996 when Radio 2 started to undergo radical and long, overdue changes following the departure of Frances Line. By 1998, Radio 2 was alive and kicking and was home to many household favourites like Johnnie Walker, Paul Gambaccini, Bob Harris, Alan Freeman, Michael Parkinson and Steve Wright :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Dave Lee Travis, Simon Bates and Adrian Juste are still bitter about the changes made to Radio 1 back in 1993. Almost twenty years on, the three of them are still pissed off about it. Tough. They had to go back then because they were too old for Radio 1.

Move on, guys. Everyone else has :rolleyes:

I think Bates - for all his faults - has always been fairly pragmatic about the 1993 changes on R1, Despite being an egotistical dinosaur he did accept his time was up (and that this was overdue) and he was out-of-sorts. He courted the media for some time after resigning mainly down to to objecting to Bannisters methods, which is fair dinkum. DLT was completely deluded, very much a proto-David Brent (Ricky Gervais must have seen the Without Walls "Hang The DJ" docu!) and Adrian Juste was a bit-part player in 80s R1 who may or may not be a really nice guy but has definitely milked his part as a victim of Bannisterisation to the hilt.

Jo Whiley - who joined R1 just 6 months prior to Matthew Bannistes appointment - stated in "The Nation's Favourite" that there was an air of paranioa and self-serving insularity from many of the existing R1 jocks at the time of her arrival, with Alan Freeman mentioned as one of the few who recognised her and made her welcome.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Noel Edmonds ever have any fueds? You would think he'd be the kind of personality that would make quite a few enemies, but very few radio people seem to have much to say about him (unlike television, where he made loads of enemies)

Kenny Everett is someone else that nobody has a bad word to say about (though of course that could be because he's dead)

Edmonds told Wogan in an interview shortly after he left Radio 1 that he drew up a list with Paul Burnett of DJs that he wanted to be sacked. Unfortunately this backfired as Burnett was dropped and Edmonds decided to leave Radio 1. I wonder why.
    However, Edmonds is not a nice person. I can remember him opening a local CO OP in the seventies and telling the crowd, " get these awful people away from me".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    AndyJK wrote: »
    Alan Brazil/Ian Wright/Stan Collymore/George Galloway/James Whale....dislike Jon Gaunt
    Galloway hates Gaunt, he even challenged him to a boxing match to sort out their differences.....Gaunt chickened out.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Peel initially didn't get on with Moyles (hate might be too strong a description though) but eventually they got on.
  • gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most presenters at the top of their game (applies to many other industries too) have to have a fair bit of self belief to get there...

So it's inevitable that you end up with a bunch of chest beating, egotistical alpha males wandering around, all wanting to be the top dog.

That's why most of 'em hate each other!