Lewis - New Series

Comments

• Night OwlNight Owl Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    I'll put in spoiler tags just in case anyone comes on this thread before watching it for some reason:
    They found out that Vicky had been injected with a horse tranquillizer and that some of the same drug had been stolen from a nearby riding stables. Jessica (the cat killer) was on the list of volunteers at the stables but when Lewis got to her house she was unconscious. Frank the blogger had been at her house and it turned out he had just gone round to have it out with her because of her claiming she saw a vision of him killing Reuben, but she over-reacted to him threatening her and knocked herself out or something. They found out that Polly's mum had been to Reuben's office on the day of his death (the boy was in the car with her when she went and he told the police) and she eventually admitted that she had been there but it was because she had been having him followed to see if he was having an affair and when it turned out he wasn't, she offered him money to divorce Polly but he wouldn't. The police got Reuben's appointment book, sorry I can't remember how exactly now but I think Polly gave it to them and it was in code. They found the initials of his clients and KD was the last one to have seen him. The Superintendant told them they had to lay off the Professor the next day because of the top secret government defence thingy that he was involved with, so they had to question him quick, and found out that one of the subjects of his sleep-deprivation experiments had the surname Dutta. They quickly zoomed off to Kanan Dutta's house straight away without checking into it any further and arrested him, he confessed to everything but then Hathaway looked at an envelope he had picked up and realised that Mrs Dutta's name began with K as well (Katherine) so then they realised that she was the real killer and her husband was protecting her, and they had to quickly go and stop her from injecting the Professor at the covered market, but he didn't have his mobile with him so they had to run around the market looking for him, and they spotted him when Mrs Dutta was about to get him, so Hathaway rugby-tackled her to stop her and she injected him but luckily it only went into his surgical collar thing and also luckily, his neck was all better afterwards. Mrs Dutta had been seeing Reuben in his fake psychic guise and he had helped her contact her dead daughter, but then she took her husband's place in the sleep deprivation experiment and the Professor and Vicky were horrible trying to make her stop believing stuff, and she saw Reuben there and realised he was tricking her, so then she had to kill them all with the drug that they had used on elephants abroad - she had smuggled it into the UK to kill herself with so she could join her daughter, but she went to see the psychic first to make sure her daughter was really in an afterlife waiting for her.

Then Hathaway felt a bit sad and had to sit down for a bit. I think that's more or less it.

Thank you catsitter :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Was glad I Sky + last weeks started watching it at 8.30 skipped the ads and then started watching tonight's episode immediately afterwards again skipping the ads and the long intro showing a few minutes of last weeks programme again as a reminder. Two hours reduced to probably 1hr 20 minutes of Lewis.

I always record and zap the ads anyway, but will watch the next story all in one as I was struggling to remember what was happening and who was who from last week. I suspect the programme wasn't made with being in two parts in mind.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the two episode format either. Will record them next week and save 30 minutes by FF the adverts.

In addition, for those of us who ears don't work as well as they should, last night's subtitling effort by ITV was woeful. For the first 7-8 minutes I would bet my pension they were transmitting the subtitles from last week's episode. As soon as the programme started subtitles appeared over the introduction. You read Lewis reminding Hathaway to remove his CD from the car after the traffic accident at one point. Then the subtitles stopped altogether and were replaced with a pop up every couple of minutes apologising for the lack of subtitles. When they eventually reappeared the subtitles were about 5 seconds late. You had to make the choice of reading the subtitles, lip reading or turning the sound up so all the neighbours could hear. I chose the latter.

However, ITV got their priorities right when the adverts were on, all the ads with subtitles were spot on.

All in all this first Lewis story of the new series left a lot to be desired.

Pity ITV don't concentrate their efforts on their programmes rather than a new Logo.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Loved the two episode format. Can't abide 2 long drawn out hours of Lewis. Hate the intrusive Phelong music. It spoils the series but so does most music that seems to accompany virtually every TV programmes. Hate the extended introductory titles with THAT music which seems like an eternity.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it although I probably would have prefered one long episode. How was the drug taken from the riding school tied in? or wasn't it?

I must be the only one here who likes the noodling music - I find it quite atmospheric.

Its a great shame they are ending this series. I would love to see more of Hathaway.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I enjoyed it although I probably would have prefered one long episode. How was the drug taken from the riding school tied in? or wasn't it?
    As I understand it was just a red herring to make us suspect the interfering mother of the first victim's wife
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The drug used on the victims was brought back from Africa by the killer (where it's used to sedate elephants) apparently. Don't know what happened to the amount that went missing from the riding school - maybe someone else was done in with that lot!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Definitely she was my teenage fantasy in series 1 of Between the Lines :D She had a fantastic figure in those days and didn't mind getting them out :D

There was so much rampant "bed action" in that series, much of it involving Vickerage's character (WPC Jenny Dean) that the show got the nickname "Between the Loins" :D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The drug used on the victims was brought back from Africa by the killer (where it's used to sedate elephants) apparently. Don't know what happened to the amount that went missing from the riding school - maybe someone else was done in with that lot!
    Next week's murder, perhaps? :D
    Re the music - most of the time I don't actually notice it. When I do, I like it. it seems just right for conveying the atmosphere of the show.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it fortunate that
    the only two people in Oxford, and surrounding areas, with the initials "KD" were married to each other?

Why did the murderer have to be someone who went to both the "psychic" and the study?

Or did I miss something?
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I always record and zap the ads anyway, but will watch the next story all in one as I was struggling to remember what was happening and who was who from last week. I suspect the programme wasn't made with being in two parts in mind.

I agree and will do the same, splitting it over two consecutive nights would have been ok but over a week is ridiculous. Squandering ratings by putting it up against Miranda/Mrs Brown was a serious scheduling error that advertisers won't like either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree and will do the same, splitting it over two consecutive nights would have been ok but over a week is ridiculous. Squandering ratings by putting it up against Miranda/Mrs Brown was a serious scheduling error that advertisers won't like either.

Crazy isn't it?
    Splitting the episodes and putting it up against the BBC's comedy hour is almost encouraging viewers to record it and skip the adverts.
    The only downside for me is that I'll have to wait two weeks before watching the next episode because I'll want to watch it in it's entirety.
    I wonder what made the schedulers do it this way? It's as though they're treating one of their rare gems with contempt.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Glad to read that Kevin has told the Oxford Mail newspaper that another series will start filming in 2014
    Kevin is now 61 so his Lewis character should be in retirement
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I

Barry Pheloung's background music gets worse each time.
    Constant repetitive "noodling" of not much more than four long notes.
    Dreadful!

Yes. It was part of the old format that began with Morse: long, drawn-out episodes with not much action and long, rambling pieces of incidental music to set the tone. Thinking about it, whenever there was any real excitement in Morse, they would play Wagner or Mozart instead and the pace would pick up considerably. Moving Lewis to one-hour episodes would have been the ideal time to drop the Pheloung music and bring in something a bit jauntier.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what brand the brown leather notebook was please?
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone clear this up for me - at the end of the first episode, when both detectives were chasing the girl, did she just happen to run into a group of joggers, who, themselves, just happened to contain a girl in a hoodie, carrying a needle containing poison as she merrily jogged on, or did I completely miss something?
    I sincerely hope I did, because, if not, I don't think I can take the programme seriously ever again.
  • fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    Does anyone know what brand the brown leather notebook was please?

I think (although my memory is terrible) that it was the victims appointment book with the initials of people who'd booked him.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Definitely she was my teenage fantasy in series 1 of Between the Lines :D She had a fantastic figure in those days and didn't mind getting them out :D

She has had occasionally parts since then like the girlfriend in Inspector Lynley. Don't know if she stopped working to have a family, as has been in a number of shows in the last couple of years after a long absence.

She went from between the Lines to a main character in Soldier Soldier , then after Lynley she ahs been on screen regularly but in lesser roles it would seem
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    I would have thought Kevin Whatley has less options. No disrespect to the guy, but he is soon going to be too old for leading man material. So being in a series where your character, Lewis is actually in the title is no bad thing. I don't see Kevin Whatley being in anything as big again. It will be guest staring parts like he was in George Gently last year.

Whately has been wondering for a fews years whether he should carry on. Part of is thoughts about carrying on has been that there are people who get employed to the make the show and rely on him for some yearly work...how about that for a nice thing to think about in why you carry on - thinking about the effect on others.

But he has said he's been playing the role (not every year though) for 25years.

He was unsure of doing the Lewis series in the first place as he wasn;t sure he could step into Thaw's shoes as it were or whether the series would be good.

I think he has been great and the series have been as good as Morse.
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somehow i am missing Hathaway...dont like it without him...loved the reference to Morse earlier on..
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it works just as well without Fox. Wonder what that notebook found by the alcy dad contains ...
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I like the new sidekick. Can't think where I've seen him before though.

Apart from one off appearances in shows such as Luther, Casualty, Law & Order UK and a few others, Getting on seems to be one he was in for the series (never saw it myself). I wanted him to be more in evidence. Maybe he will get more to do in the second part.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Whately has been wondering for a fews years whether he should carry on. Part of is thoughts about carrying on has been that there are people who get employed to the make the show and rely on him for some yearly work...how about that for a nice thing to think about in why you carry on - thinking about the effect on others.

But he has said he's been playing the role (not every year though) for 25years.

He was unsure of doing the Lewis series in the first place as he wasn;t sure he could step into Thaw's shoes as it were or whether the series would be good.

I think he has been great and the series have been as good as Morse.

It's often the case, actors who "star" in particular long running series, think that "everyone will want them" if they decide to stop doing it. They forget that it's the drama with which people mostly identify. In the last couple of series John Thaw's character began to irritate me, but I still watched it.

I'd suggest Whatley would be "unemployable" in a major role in something else.
    But he might find occasional work, as did a previously high profile actor, "The Last Detective's" Peter Davidson in this.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's often the case, actors who "star" in particular long running series, think that "everyone will want them" if they decide to stop doing it. They forget that it's the drama with which people mostly identify. In the last couple of series John Thaw's character began to irritate me, but I still watched it.

I'd suggest Whatley would be "unemployable" in a major role in something else.
    But he might find occasional work, as did a previously high profile actor, "The Last Detective's" Peter Davidson in this.

Peter Davison is a regular on Law and Order UK.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Peter Davison is a regular on Law and Order UK.

Hmm..

Is he?
    Is it a central role?

I remember vaguely seeing one episode, but it seemed a rather lame version of the popular U.S. series. So not something I'd watch again.