Lewis - New Series

Comments

• catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

Is he?
    Is it a central role?

I remember vaguely seeing one episode, but it seemed a rather lame version of the popular U.S. series. So not something I'd watch again.

I must admit I haven't watched it much since he joined the cast but I believe he took over Bill Paterson's role as the prosecutors' boss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decided to watch the first half last night instead of waiting for the full episode.
    An intriguing plot but it did feel a bit flat for me without Hathaway - I've grown as attached to him as I was to Lewis as Morse's sidekick; presumably he couldn't commit to all 3 episodes this series.
    Some nice moments with Lewis and Laura, though.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did the new sidekick actually do much??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

He barely spoke!
    Maybe he'll have more to do next week.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it works just as well without Fox. Wonder what that notebook found by the alcy dad contains ...

Possibly details of some of Peter Davidson's dodgy deals??
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

He smiled a lot! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder whether Hathway will be calling in at Croatia on the way back from Kosovo to find some important clue?
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really really do not like it split into two episodes. I much prefer self contained stories. Fair enough if it needed 5 hours to tell the story, then you would show it over several weeks. However, when it's just 2 hours, I think it spoils the flow to split it.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I wonder whether Hathway will be calling in at Croatia on the way back from Kosovo to find some important clue?

Yes it looks like it, as usual all the "best bits" were included in the next episode's trailer showed after the programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I switched channels to avoid that!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed my Hathaway fix. :)

The new bloke had hardly anything to do - I couldn't really see the point of introducing him; Lewis could have done it all on his own. Still, maybe he'll contribute the vital bit of evidence that solves the case. Though I do worry that these characters who seem to be introduced for no good reason often end up dead.

Nice to see the Robbie/Laura romance warming up slightly - not before time!
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    He smiled a lot! :)

Reminded me of Parking Patawaya on Harry and Paul. Was it the same actor?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »

The new TV mag does say Lewis gets in touch with him and asks him to do something for him and he's not happy about it!

I didn't watch this one, I always V+ Lewis so this time I'm watching both together next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Ah yes of course, the cleaner who was offered the job that turned out to be unpaid. :( He was so good in that.

Not really. They seemed to have brought Rebecca Front forward to fill the Hathaway gap - as if we can't cope with a new face.

I disagree. But then I still think of him as Neville. If he can do two roles convincingly, why not more?

I can't see him getting a "lead role" in something else at his age, in the eyes of many, I guess he's a bit of a "Ken Barlow" now. Whereas Lawrence Fox, if he goes, would stand a better chance.
  • centa01centa01 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    To be honest kevin whately has never given the impression in any interview that he wants another lead role, in fact the opposite is true. He certainly doesn't expect it. In one interview he gave he said he is not driven to act anymore. He enjoys his work but doesn't feel the need to do the big parts anymore. I would also take issue with the ken barlow comment, robbie lewis is not boring or stuffy just comfortable and safe and coming to the end of a long career! I love his craggy smile and his relationships with hathaway, laura and innocent are just getting better. We've also got to remember that lawrence fox is half his age and would logically have a longer career ahead of him post lewis!!!!! The shame of this series is splitting each episode into 2 parts. The beauty of the show was the slow build up with oxford itself playing her own stunning part. But hey i love it and will miss it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centa01 wrote: »
    To be honest kevin whately has never given the impression in any interview that he wants another lead role, in fact the opposite is true. He certainly doesn't expect it. In one interview he gave he said he is not driven to act anymore. He enjoys his work but doesn't feel the need to do the big parts anymore. I would also take issue with the ken barlow comment, robbie lewis is not boring or stuffy just comfortable and safe and coming to the end of a long career! I love his craggy smile and his relationships with hathaway, laura and innocent are just getting better. We've also got to remember that lawrence fox is half his age and would logically have a longer career ahead of him post lewis!!!!! The shame of this series is splitting each episode into 2 parts. The beauty of the show was the slow build up with oxford itself playing her own stunning part. But hey i love it and will miss it.

My point in mentioning the similarity with "Ken Barlow" was that Kevin Whatley after all this time, will forever be "Lewis" to most viewers in whatever else he's in, whereas Lawrence Fox still has the opportunity to do other work and would not so similarly identified with his character as he ages over the next twenty years or whatever..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centa01 wrote: »

Great post!:)
    I agree with every word of this - especially about the lead-in with Oxford as the back drop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How adorable was the hand holding!??? ;)

In fact Laura and Robbie are just being so adorable in this "episode" Im counting the two weeks as one!
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not liking this week between episodes.

Would prefer something like Silent Witness where they have it on back to back nights.
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont like the week gap either.... It just breaks the flow of the story IMO...
    Lewis and Laura are def getting closer...very quickly suddenly! A bit of romance will be nice...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Loved loved loved Innocent and James expressions in the pub......!!!! :D
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Loved that ending in the pub,the snog in front of Innocent and James. Their faces were a picture! :D

I'm glad they've put them together before the last episode and not IN the last episode.

I didn't watch last weeks til yesterday so when I watch tonights tomorrow, it won't feel like a huge gap between the two!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am SO happy that they have finally got together!!! So happy.
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Innocent and Hathaway's expressions in the pub were hilarious :D

I loved DC Gray telling the young couple that a policeman had reached out to him when he was 16, "a Geordie too, but he doesn't remember". That's why he was so smiley, Lewis was the reason he became a policeman...I hope we see him again I liked him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flyingv wrote: »
    Innocent and Hathaway's expressions in the pub were hilarious :D

I loved DC Gray telling the young couple that a policeman had reached out to him when he was 16, "a Geordie too, but he doesn't remember". That's why he was so smiley, Lewis was the reason he became a policeman...I hope we see him again I liked him.

That was really touching...it says something about the kind of man not just copper but man that Robbie Lewis is.....I shall miss my yearly Lewis fix once its all over....ah well least I have the boxsets....!