Alistair Mcgowan Vs Jon Culshaw

RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A quick one.

Which is better?

No extensive posts, just the names please.

Comments

• candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macgowan ::D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be interesting to know why people think one is better than the other rather than to just post a name?
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be interesting to know why people think one is better than the other rather than to just post a name?
    I'd rather have a decisive answer.

People can give a reason, as long as they can give a name.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alistair McGowan for me
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 130,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tough choice....but I think McGowan just edges it.

BTW, Are there any impressions that one of them does but not the other. For instance, Culshaw's impressions of Patrick Moore or George Bush which I can't remember McGowan doing?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    steviex wrote: »
    Tough choice....but I think McGowan just edges it.

BTW, Are there any impressions that one of them does but not the other. For instance, Culshaw's impressions of Patrick Moore or George Bush which I can't remember McGowan doing?

McGowan did a sketch called The Student Grants which had Hugh, Cary and Richard E living together as students and another ongoing sketch in which he played Dot and Nick Cotton as is they were Steptoe and Son

I can't remember Culshaw doing impressions of any of those
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to say really Mcgowan does excellent football pundits while Culshaw does a brilliant George W Bush.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Culshaw is far better McGowan is so full of himself, and he is shite..
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    In all honesty they're both good! But in terms of who's better at what, McGowan is a better impersonator of the two but Culshaw is the funnier one of the two IMO. :)

Edit: I'm actually surprised no one's come in to say "neither" yet! There's always one. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Culshaw, who does a fantastic Tom Baker.

DEAD RINGERS!
  • yosebiteyosebite Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    McGowan's sporting impressions stand out for me - his Mark Lawrenson is spot on ("at the merment") and I loved the sketch where he suddenly became merry and Gary Lineker (also McGowan) asked "where's the saggy faced misery guts we are all used to?"

All these years later I can't watch Lawrenson without remembering that sketch:)
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    no contest A. J does about 3 or 4 good impressions most of them are awful
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Culshaw comfortably.

Bremner is King of the impressionists though.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Culshaw seems to get too much exposure and not change his material enough. OK, he does Tom Baker well but it is basically the same gag every time.

I think McGowan has been doing other things like straight acting which has reduced the number of appearances as an impressionist and, whilst he keeps old favourites, he brings in new characters. I think his material is also better written.

A bad joke is not funny just because it is told by someone doing a poor impression of someone else as happens with many impressionists.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Culshaw comfortably.

Bremner is King of the impressionists though.

I think he has much better material, I would not be surprised if he was actual worse as an impressionist if tested side by side but it is the quality of the material that is most important.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will people stop providing reasons please?:p:D
    The OP has explicitly stated that they want a simple list of names, no more no less.
    Which I'm sure will make for an interesting discussion to read.

Culshaw. For some reasons I'm prohibited from sharing.
    McGowan. For other reasons which I'm also prohibited from sharing.
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them both, for different reasons but this is no place to discuss such matters:p
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Culshaw impression sounds like Culshaw
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Culshaw.
    (And I'm not telling you why, even if you wanted to know. Which you don't. :p)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Now which one of them pretended to be the Leader of the Opposition and got through to the Prime Minister of the time on the phone & also hoodwinked a local radio station into thinking Robbie Williams was passing nearby & would pop into the studio?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick one.

Which is better?

No extensive posts, just the names please.

why didn't you make this a poll then?
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every Culshaw impression sounds like Culshaw

Not all of them but most of them. I recall reading that Jon's favourite impersonation to do was the Life on Mars and Ashes To Ashes character Gene Hunt. Well, that's just an angry Jon Culshaw!
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McGowan by some margin for me, Culshaw does one or two good impressions but I find the majority are bad, his Cowell stands out for its badness.
  • nostalgic62nostalgic62 Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Neither of them a patch on Bryden and Coogan doing their Michael Caine. This one always has me in stitches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIQIpC5_wY