Options

ed miliband"i want a fairer britain"

13»

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear... EM drops a bit of a clanger and reminds everyone he wrote the 2010 Labour manifesto. Not sure it's wise to remind people of that.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people seem to think all the politicians are all the same, well the Torys certainly know that's no true,
    Labour have finally started to listen to voters and it shows in there promises. this is why the Torys are scared stiff and playing so dirty, they know massive change is on it's way and they don't like it one bit.
    Can you blame them. Labour promises to make the rich pay there fair share in taxes, stop them exploiting the tax loopholes for billions, stop the companies exploiting low paid workers in so many ways.pay for a decent NHS.
    The answer the Torys have and always will have for every problem is to cut services and make the poor pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well despite my grumbles.. that was the best EM speech so far and he's been good in the Q&A too. Seems very confident and relaxed. Not sure how much of that is due to his training and if he's just doing things his advisors have recommended such as taking extra questions...... but he's coming across the best I've seen him so he's peaking at the right time. Remains to be seen if it's too late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Press noting no mention of trident in manifesto. Open goal for the Tories.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I can't help but like the guy and I think people underestimate him. I used to be a Lib Dem voter but I'm more and more Labour thesedays and I do think like TRIPS said above the reason Tories are so scared is because Labour have spoken to and listened to what working people want. So they are going to strike home with that and its why the Tories are now playing so dirty with just personal attack after personal attack on Miliband rather than his policies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Told you Ed had turned into a ladies man over night:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCdydpvW0AIVFz2.jpg

They're all after him.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really looking forward to a Labour government. Life is going to be so wonderful and everyone is going to be well off except for those nasty people who dare to have a bit of money.

Im sure Ed will suck in a lot of people. I myself will be voting Conservative so I wont be to blame when it all goes pear shaped.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to a Labour government. Life is going to be so wonderful and everyone is going to be well off. Yeah right.

Im sure Ed will suck in a lot of people. I myself will be voting Conservative so I wont be to blame when it all goes pear shaped.

I doubt anyone would come looking to blame you for it...can i suggest threatening to leave the country as well if Labour win...that's the sort of flounce people round here are really, really impressed by :D:D
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is his house in London the one he claims as a second home? Because if not it wouldn't apply would it?

And it is still an assumption by the Express...the legislation hasn't been written yet...you might just as easily assume it will apply to any/all homes occupied by an MP...but of course that is an assumption that would not fit with the narrative you want to tell. :D

So either admit you are just parroting someone else's assumption or confess you have seen draft legislation written by a party yet to be elected to government...because until you can neither you, the Express (!!!) or Uncle Tom Cobbly can make such statements with any degree of certitude...beyond furthering your own agendas.

Parliamentary expenses are written down. He would not pay the mansion tax. Fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuka being mauled by Brillo. Just what Labour wanted to be doing on manifesto day.. appearing to struggle to answer questions on debt and borrowing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt anyone would come looking to blame you for it...can i suggest threatening to leave the country as well if Labour win...that's the sort of flounce people round here are really, really impressed by :D:D

I don't do flouncing :D:D
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Chuka waffling and not answering the question as usual. At least he's dressed smartly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Personally I can't help but like the guy and I think people underestimate him. I used to be a Lib Dem voter but I'm more and more Labour thesedays and I do think like TRIPS said above the reason Tories are so scared is because Labour have spoken to and listened to what working people want. So they are going to strike home with that and its why the Tories are now playing so dirty with just personal attack after personal attack on Miliband rather than his policies.

They are telling you what you want to hear. Labour have a track record of increasing taxation to cover off their spending plans

Take Ed Balls's comments earlier today when pressed on how much their key tax policy of raising the highest rate to 50% will raise and all he could say was "an important amount" and when pressed was "many hundreds of millions of pounds", despite the IFS saying it will rise next to nothing. Labour will already be spending this money, so when it doesn't raise anything, they will look to people like you and me to make up the shortfall.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ 16 year olds voting. God help us.

It's their future that gets screwed up the most by excessive borrowing - why shouldn't they take the blame for voting in any government that does that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are telling you what you want to hear. Labour have a track record of increasing taxation to cover off their spending plans

Take Ed Balls's comments earlier today when pressed on how much their key tax policy of raising the highest rate to 50% will raise and all he could say was "an important amount" and when pressed was "many hundreds of millions of pounds", despite the IFS saying it will rise next to nothing. Labour will already be spending this money, so when it doesn't raise anything, they will look to people like you and me to make up the shortfall.

I remember when the government dropped the rate to 45%, it was said that it wouldn't make a lot of difference but it seems that Labour think its going to raise a lot of money. Their problem is they keep saying that money raised from this, the non dom tax and mansion tax is going to cover everything. They need to give us a clue as to how much all this is going to bring in.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Parliamentary expenses are written down. He would not pay the mansion tax. Fact.

You don't say...are they carved on tablets of stone meaning they can never ever be be changed in response to some previously unanticipated issue or new legislation...and it does not detract from the fact that the mansion tax legislation has not been written in the sort of detail that enbales you to make this assertion.

You may turn out to be right. You may turn out to be wrong.

I do know two things...I don't know either way and you are expressing the way you want it to turn out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I remember when the government dropped the rate to 45%, it was said that it wouldn't make a lot of difference but it seems that Labour think its going to raise a lot of money. Their problem is they keep saying that money raised from this, the non dom tax and mansion tax is going to cover everything. They need to give us a clue as to how much all this is going to bring in.

They don't need to. They are just pandering to the populist vote of saying "we'll kill the rich". They will say absolutely anything and everything at this stage. Costings won't even be entering their heads.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuka being mauled by Brillo. Just what Labour wanted to be doing on manifesto day.. appearing to struggle to answer questions on debt and borrowing.

It was bad but the mauling Savid Javid just got was even worse.:o
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    And why couldn't David have done more to win over the union vote? Ed played by the rules that were set and won. Get over it. It was five years ago!

The reason some Tory supporters won't "get over it" is because they have thrown everything they have at EM including 2 kitchen sinks in personal attacks against him and not his politics, even bringing his dead father into their vile behaviour and one even went as far as suggesting he gasses his wife, knowing full well that he is Jewish and that his parents fled from Hitler's death camps, and some relatives weren't so lucky, which is only what we would expect from that particular despicable example of humanity, and the people who STILL employ her.

So now 5 years later they fall back to where we started the old "stabbed his brother in the back" desperate nonsense,
    Anyone with a few elections behind them knows what to expect from the right wing media and those who support them,
    I predicted over 2 years ago that when we got close to the election and if the Tories didn't have a clear lead in the last few weeks that their mask would slip and all pretence would be dropped, and that we would see the true nature of the Tory beast,
    just read some of the threads and comments here to see how desperate they are becoming and yet despite everything the Tory party and their media chums can throw, (and they plummet to new depths almost every day) they STILL can't pull away and gain anything like the showing in the polls they need if they have a hope of forming a majority government,
    I think we can all start to breathe a sigh of relief knowing that that particular nightmare is looking less and less likely by the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was bad but the mauling Savid Javid just got was even worse.:o

Didn't see it, but did he refuse to answer a direct question 18 times?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't need to. They are just pandering to the populist vote of saying "we'll kill the rich". They will say absolutely anything and everything at this stage. Costings won't even be entering their heads.

Then if that is indeed the case can we look forward to the Tories accepting Labours challenge to present their spending plans to the OBR for independent audit?

Because Labour have been offering to do so for over 2 years the Tories actually vetoed Labour's proposal to make it law that parties have to present their spending plans to the OBR for independent audit,
    but they keep insisting on talking about such crap as "money trees" and "gaping black holes" because sneering is easy when you don't have to back it up.
    if they are so confident why are they frightened to put their money where their 'big' mouths are?

Of course when they have a leader who openly boasted about getting the leaders debates to happen in 2010, bragging about how he had pushed for over 5 years to get them introduced, telling us all how wonderful he thinks they are,
    ("they even have them in Mongolia for heavens sake") and how it would be "feeble to find an excuse to back out"
    and then does all he can to back out the very next time they are due to take place,

it's hardly surprising that they and their supporters employ a similar tactic of attacking Labour but then running scared when challenged to stop sneering and actually present their spending plans for independent audit to the very body they put in place.

Tories eh?