Options

Can I buy an Orange SPV C600 and unlock for use on Vodafone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
Forum Member
Can I buy an Orange SPV C600 and unlock for use on Vodafone?

The reason I ask is that my existing phone is on Vodafone and I would like to keep the number.

Many thanks and sorry for being thick!

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    A newbie could really do with some help.

I'm ready to buy but not if it won't work.

Is there anything I need to know/ask.

I know it's a smart phone for example, will this make a difference.

Any help really will be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the phone in question, so can't really offer any qualified help, but here's my two penn'orth...

Might there not be phone features that would only be supported by the Orange network?

If you're coming to the end of your voda contract or on PAYG, you could get your PAC code and take your existing number to Orange and then get all the benefits of the handset.

Just a couple thoughts

Sarah
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realise I could take my number with me.

Colleagues at work told me I couldn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before Xmas I ended my contract with 3 and moved my existing number to O2; it took 7 days from giving O2 my PAC code, which I got from 3, to the number being transferred to my new account. During that time I had a temporary number to use.

I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same from Voda to Orange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks muffin.

Another question: say my Vodafone contract is only half way through (which it is - 6month down, 6month to go), can I still move the number to the orange handset?

My existing contract is one of those 100% free line rental ones. I get so many mins/texts per month for £30 and then get cashback throughout the year.

I'm happy to give up this free contract and go on a paying one so I get the handset. Is this possible? Would I lose the last 6months cash back.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should think that not only would you lose the cashback, but you'd also be charged a fair bit for cancelling the contract early. You need to speak to Voda to check.
  • Options
    J400ukJ400uk Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    there is definelty a way to unlock spv and use on vodafone. have you tryed googling it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These phones are made by HTC in Taiwan, and usually branded i-mate in this country (if not being sold on a particular network), so you could just buy a sim free, not locked (& unbranded) one at somwhere like Expansys. You can then just put a sim of your choice in there and it will then be on whichever network you want (Orange in your case).

http://www.htc.com.tw htc website
  • Options
    billingebillinge Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    well I bought the C550 on Orange PAYG, unlocked it and put my O2 sim card in it, so YES. Great phone BTW.

Note Vodafone won't support it so you may have problems with some settings but check out coolsmartphone.com or modaco.com and they will help.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmie wrote:
    These phones are made by HTC in Taiwan, and usually branded i-mate in this country (if not being sold on a particular network), so you could just buy a sim free, not locked (& unbranded) one at somwhere like Expansys. You can then just put a sim of your choice in there and it will then be on whichever network you want (Orange in your case).

http://www.htc.com.tw htc website

Its called an i-Mate SP5 or SP5M and it has WiFi unlike the Orange C600. Orange decided to leave this out of their version for some reason.

Expansys have it on Voda Contract. They only have the SP5. mPhone is the cheapest sim free for £300.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=124583

http://www.mphone.co.uk/acatalog/sp5m_sim_free.html