People owned by Maine **** cats

Mizz MonsoonMizz Monsoon Posts: 5,048
Forum Member
I will be bringing my first maine **** kitty home in around 5 weeks - a beautiful silver tortie tabby girl who I have called Boo. Any tips or stories you'd care to share? Thanks!

Comments

• Mizz MonsoonMizz Monsoon Posts: 5,048
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, this will work and you will be able to see her :)

Boo
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, she's just lovely and I bet you can't wait to get her home. I'm sure you're going to have great fun together:D
    Forum Member
    flakecake wrote: »
    Awww, she's just lovely and I bet you can't wait to get her home. I'm sure you're going to have great fun together:D

Yes, I want her home now! But I'll just have to be patient. I do get to visit her til it's time for her to come though, so that will have to do meantime :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I don't have any maine **** tips to pass on ( sadly, would LOVE one ) but am just glad to hear that the kitten will be with it's mum for more than the standard 8 weeks. I really believe those extra few weeks allow mum to teach good manners and behaviour so you reall y do get a loving new companion.
    Good Luck!
    Forum Member
    I don't have any maine **** tips to pass on ( sadly, would LOVE one ) but am just glad to hear that the kitten will be with it's mum for more than the standard 8 weeks. I really believe those extra few weeks allow mum to teach good manners and behaviour so you reall y do get a loving new companion.
    Good Luck!

She'll be around 15 weeks when I get her, and I agree with you, that those extra weeks with her mum will only benefit her (and me lol).
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ours was about 12 weeks when we got him home, although we could have had him at 10 weeks. He was quite a big boy even at that age. You're certainly "owned" by Maine Coons, they regard you as part of their family, just not quite as bright!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had two Maine **** girls. Still have one. Very beautiful, fusspots with food, will not eat today what they loved yesterday etc. Require lots of grooming and both of mine had to have lots of scratching posts, mats etc which I spray with catnip otherwise I would have ripped carpets and furniture. Prefer running water from tap at back door. Very vocal and good at letting you know what is required. Good luck with Boo, I am envious!!!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    What a beautiful wee girl!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Good Luck!

Sometimes you also get younger kittens with good manners too. Between next door's cat and me we taught the Impossible Princess good manners.

My previous cat was a runt and he had good manners and was very sociable but was very young when his mother booted him out of the nest. Her loss,our joy!
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you also get younger kittens with good manners too. Between next door's cat and me we taught the Impossible Princess good manners.

My previous cat was a runt and he had good manners and was very sociable but was very young when his mother booted him out of the nest. Her loss,our joy!

We got two of our cats when they were only 6 weeks old. Both were semi-feral, their mothers were strays. Both were perfectly house-trained, and one had impeccable manners, but the second one (whom we still have) has always been a stroppy git and rather antisocial. He's got better with age, but he'll still bite and scratch if he's annoyed. The Maine **** is a real aristocrat though, breeding will definitely out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The breeder from whom I bought my cats would not allow kittens to go to new homes until 14 weeks. All her kitties had a sitting room with tv toys noise etc. Her grandchildren were encouraged to play with them. I think it helped them to be sociable.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to sound really stupid here but what characteristics makes a cat a maine ****?

I keep hearing this name but not sure what they look like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are quite large cats, they are quite long haired. Mine need a lot of grooming. They were supposed to have been imported from France to Maine where they supposedly mated with racoons, hence the tail. Or perhaps from a Captain **** who brought them to Maine. Mine is a great mouser, I live in the country and they come into the garden. She says hello by chirping. Lovely but big cat. Sturdy with no health problems. She likes dogs, which is handy.
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    A maine **** just turned up at our house one day and lived with us for 9 months, he was black and what a handful!! We called him Sid Vicious as he was a bit wild like his namesake, had a thing for lying in bed beside me with his paw around my neck, but as soon as he had appeared he just wandered off again, such a shame - I have no idea where he came from but he was a joy to have for those few months!!
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had ours for about 12 yrs now. What a character he is too. I was gardening one day when he just came brushing up to me, I stroked him bit then went indoors. He slept under the hedge for 3 days till in the end we brought him in & fed him. The cats home came out & did all the usual things to find his owners & then said would we like to keep him so we said yes.
    We call him bagpuss, he is the most relaxed cat I have ever met, he is so lazy & greedy, he eats more than my staffie dog & bosses the dog about constantly pushing him out of his bed.
    We took him to the vet recently for a check up & the vet said he should be on the tv as he will do pretty much what you want him to do if he thinks there is food involved & they are hardy cats, only time we have had any problems is when he has been fighting with the other cats in the area, Yes he thinks he is top cat as he is so big.
    Forum Member
    Your cats all sound wonderful - thanks for the replies! Sounds like I made the right decision to have a Maine **** - wanted one for a long time, now just have to wait a few more weeks for my wish to come true :) Going to visit her next weekend, I think, bet she's grown lol
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is gorgeous :)

Mine is only half Maine **** but has all the traits. She is teeny though but fluffy.

Her name is Daisy Boo, so I of course approve of your chosen name ;)
    Daisy is youngest of her and her half Sister, but is bossy! She also loves the dog (feeling not mutual sadly!) and is always trying to give it kisses and cuddles :D

Be careful as well as they seem to love climbing :rolleyes::)
  • Miss CheefMiss Cheef Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I have had two Maine **** girls. Still have one. Very beautiful, fusspots with food, will not eat today what they loved yesterday etc. Require lots of grooming and both of mine had to have lots of scratching posts, mats etc which I spray with catnip otherwise I would have ripped carpets and furniture. Prefer running water from tap at back door. Very vocal and good at letting you know what is required. Good luck with Boo, I am envious!!!

That's interesting what you say about them being fusspots with food. I have two - a boy & a girl who are so fickle. The amount of food that goes to waste :rolleyes: Is this normal for the breed then? I just thought it was my two!

I got them when they were 3 month - now 13 month and getting very big - especially the boy - completely taken over the house :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Cheef wrote: »
    That's interesting what you say about them being fusspots with food. I have two - a boy & a girl who are so fickle. The amount of food that goes to waste :rolleyes: Is this normal for the breed then? I just thought it was my two!

I got them when they were 3 month - now 13 month and getting very big - especially the boy - completely taken over the house :D

Hi, Sparky and Katie were a nightmare, one day they loved this food next day, like you it would lie uneaten then have to be chucked. Once they decided they did not want it that was that. I have since moved Sparky on to dried food but give her a mix including the Maine Coone dried food and she loves it. Some days she wants the salmon then its the chicken. They need lots of water tho. She loves meat, especially the little sachets but they do upset her tum so she just has little tasters. I dont think its Maine Coons especially, I think its spoilt rotten cats:D
    Forum Member
    Bringing Boo home tomorrow - can't wait! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope, and am sure she/he will be wonderful. Maine Coons are great gentle and very rewarding pets. I wish you many happy years with Boo.
    Forum Member
    Bringing Boo home tomorrow - can't wait! :D

I'm sooo jelalous :D Post a photo. Here's my two Digby & Amber when I brought them home last June

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=107t761&s=6

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=hrzo8k&s=6
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,940
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, this will work and you will be able to see her :)

Boo

Gorgeous!
    Miss Cheef wrote: »
    I'm sooo jelalous :D Post a photo. Here's my two Digby & Amber when I brought them home last June

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=107t761&s=6

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=hrzo8k&s=6

Gorgeous!

I LOVE Maine Coons; favourite cat breed ever. I must have one one day in the future.
    Forum Member
    Home with Boo now - she's exploring round the living room like a mad thing lol Digby and Amber are gorgeous - I love how cats sleep in heaps :)
    Forum Member
    Home with Boo now - she's exploring round the living room like a mad thing lol Digby and Amber are gorgeous - I love how cats sleep in heaps :)

awwww :D wait till she gets big...here's my 2 a year later & they're still growing :eek:

2m82qae.jpg

23mwutl.jpg