Options

Explained something DW to a non-Whovian before?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    Once a month I have to talk about time and other stuff mentioned in Einstein's general and special relativity at a social club for people with the same disability as me because a lot of people there just like discussing physics all the time especially about time. I don't feel jealous of anybody having to explain time, it is very confusing to some people especially those who don't have an open mind. I suggest you tell that person to read E=MC squared by Brian Cox I found it very enjoyable and explains a lot of confusing aspects very clearly.

Thanks for the recommendation. Have you read a book of the same title, E=MC2 by David Bodanis? It explains things in a straightforward and interesting way.

Also The Big Bang by Simon Singh springs to mind.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    The thing is, nobody knows what time actually is.

We can measure and explain (some of) its properties, but we don't know what it is.

It's all rather embarassing for physicists really.... :o

:D

We just bought a friend's son for Christmas the latest edition of Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". That has some good stuff in aimed at the popular science audience.

"I'm one of those people who are quite happy to use time, but I've no idea how it works."

E.B. II
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, GDK, I recently recommended to forum member Al that he answers "nobody knows" to his upcoming physics exam questions. I hope he does well.

edit: as a fickie I am grateful for the rash of excellent popular science writers we've had in the last twenty years or so. Brief History of Time, I'm afraid , was somewhat beyond me when I first read it. It's so humbling when peoples children have a better grasp of these things than I. A friend has a daughter who I met at age fifteen at a barbeque. I was praising The Selfish Gene which I had read recently and was basking in the halo of being "someone wot has read sumfink". She was stood in our circle, knew the book inside out and more. Turned out she was going to Cambridge because she had a brain the size of a planet. My friend had previously never warned me not to try and show off in front of his daughter. Git.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Yes, GDK, I recently recommended to forum member Al that he answers "nobody knows" to his upcoming physics exam questions. I hope he does well.

Well, these days, as all Daily Mail readers will know, educational standards have dropped, so AI'll do just fine with that answer...

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »

edit: as a fickie I am grateful for the rash of excellent popular science writers we've had in the last twenty years or so. Brief History of Time, I'm afraid , was somewhat beyond me when I first read it. It's so humbling when peoples children have a better grasp of these things than I. A friend has a daughter who I met at age fifteen at a barbeque. I was praising The Selfish Gene which I had read recently and was basking in the halo of being "someone wot has read sumfink". She was stood in our circle, knew the book inside out and more. Turned out she was going to Cambridge because she had a brain the size of a planet. My friend had previously never warned me not to try and show off in front of his daughter. Git.

Though I've not read The Selfish Gene, it's one of those books I keep meaning to get hold of and read, just to irritate some of my religious friends. :) I keep thinking I should get them a copy for their birthday's....

:)

I have to admit I'm only familiar with Dawkins' ideas through popular science TV programmes like Horizon and Equinox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Selfish Gene is well worth reading. You can see why it had such an impact. Really important book. He says himelf that the title isn't perhaps ideal because it misleads some people into thinking if is a justification for social darwinism etc. Which is cobblers. The Blind Watchmaker is also brilliant. He holds your hand through the maths. Memorable books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Had this problem recently - one of my friends loves DW and the others barely know what the name means. Something as simple as a sonic screwdriver... Had no clue how to explain it. Ended up with 'It's a screwdriver... But it's sonic!'
    And then we gave up when one friend asked whether sonic meant it made a funny noise. Oh dear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people learned a long time ago to stop asking me for an explanation for anything:)
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad man in a box sums it up :D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's annoying when people ask you to explain things while you are atually watching an episode, as happened to me at Christmas with my non-DW-fan family.

"Why is she a lizard?" "What is he?" (re Strax) "When did he die and who brought him back to life?" "What's the significance of Pond?" "What's the significance of soufflés?" "What's the significance of the map of the Underground?" etc etc.

SHUT UP AND LET ME WATCH WHAT'S GOING ON!!

That's the reason why I prefer to watch alone. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the significance of watching alone?
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to explain time to someone. :D I HAVE USED WIBBLY WOBBLY TIMEY WHIMEY IN A SENTENCE!!!!:D

me to lol

Someone passed wind and I mentioned they might be a slitheen in disguise what a mistake spent the next 20 mins explaining about them lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    My brother thinks that sontarans are so hilarious because they look like potatoes and because he doesn't try hard enough to remember their names he calls them potatoe heads and so if I watch an episode with him, (god knows why I would do that) he always goes "look it's the potato invasion!" or something. And the rest of my family doesn't really understand the important aspects and think everything isn't really that important so I have to be alone in my room to be able to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I used to try and explain stuff to friends/family but i'd either get the 'crazy person' look or they would just smile and nod. Now I just say 'It's a Dr Who thing, i'm a geek, deal with it' :D

My mum gave my brother and I a small TARDIS each that opens up with little boxes inside to store things for Christmas. Later in the day she said that it was just a joke gift! :mad: She got a bloody good stern look for saying that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was talking to some friends (who sadly know nothing whatsoever about Doctor Who) Anyway one of them asked me to explain what Doctor Who is. We had about 10 minutes before having to leave. (also I am not so good at explaining things to people) See the problem?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How I explain Doctor Who:

"There's this man in a blue box who goes around space and time and fights aliens, usually with a friend or two. Oh, and if his face explodes and his turns into someone else, that's normal."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay... I was gonna say something but I just COMPLETELY forgot what I was even doing... I was looking away for my computer and into the dining room... What was I gonna do?!?!?