How often do you renew your phone?

November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
Forum Member
I'm curious as to how often people upgrade or otherwise change their handsets.

For me it fluctuates but I don't think I've ever owned a phone for longer than 20 months, despite having a 24 month contract in the past. The shortest time I've owned a phone is about two months.

On average I probably switch phones about every 12 months.

How often is it for you?

How often do you upgrade/change phones? 97 votes

Every six months or less
2% 2 votes
Every six to 12 months
11% 11 votes
Every 12 to 24 months
32% 32 votes
Every 24 months or more
17% 17 votes
Whenever my contract ends
9% 9 votes
It varies/Not sure
21% 21 votes
Never
5% 5 votes

Comments

• HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I'm curious as to how often people upgrade or otherwise change their handsets.

For me it fluctuates but I don't think I've ever owned a phone for longer than 20 months, despite having a 24 month contract in the past. The shortest time I've owned a phone is about two months.

On average I probably switch phones about every 12 months.

How often is it for you?

Probably never now. I bought an HTC Desire S about 18 months ago and bought it for about £350 from O2 on PAYG. I have no reason to change it UNLESS technology improves to such a level that a smartphone is manufactured that can last for more than a couple of days without recharging - the bane of my life and makes these phones totally useless if one were to want to venture out into the wilderness.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I bought my Nokia 5 years ago, I don't use phones really.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    The majority of people in the UK will have contracts and change their phone every 24 months. The rest will vary.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The majority of people in the UK will have contracts and change their phone every 24 months. The rest will vary.

Yes, you're probably right. It will be interesting to see the poll results though. :)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 2 lines on my contract that are about a year apart from each other, so always get a new phone every year.
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too often!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Yes, you're probably right. It will be interesting to see the poll results though. :)

Yep, i was just pointing out that for the majority it would probably be every 2 years. For people on this forum it's likely to be different though.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It varies a great deal.

I kept my HTC Touch HD for more than 2 years, after that I had something like 6 phones in less than a year (though only 1 of them I actually bought), the last of which (my Galaxy Nexus) I've now had for over a year - but in the last 6 months I've also had two handsets through work...
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im with, ''it varies''
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 since October 2012. I've had a couple of Chinese mobiles during that time but always preferred the Ace 2 so went back to it. Now I have no intention of changing again until it breaks.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    My contract ends in 1 year.... I'm in no rush to change from my iPhone 4S.... and I WON'T be changing from my early Full Monty plan - it's far too good :)
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I had a Sony Ericsson K750i for 3 years from 2006 but since then its been pretty much a new phone every year. I've either broken, lost or had them robbed lol

Now with a Sony Xperia U for 24monthes, loving it so far!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Very variable - it used to be when I changed contracts but then I got cheaper contracts and kept a more expensive phone so have only changed when I wanted to now. I had an original iPhone for about 2 years, then moved through 3 phones in a year before settling on my Lumia 800 I have now.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,396
    Forum Member
    It varies but I roughly keep a phone for a couple of years before getting an upgrade.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Probably never now. I bought an HTC Desire S about 18 months ago and bought it for about £350 from O2 on PAYG. I have no reason to change it UNLESS technology improves to such a level that a smartphone is manufactured that can last for more than a couple of days without recharging - the bane of my life and makes these phones totally useless if one were to want to venture out into the wilderness.

Writing this on my HTC Desire S! I'll keep it for as long as it lasts, which I'm guessing will be a long time with its solid alu case.

I got it on an 18 month contract but decided not to upgrade at the end and just switched to a lower tariff.

Work gave me a GS3, but I prefer the Desire S as it is pocket sized and perfectly good for messaging and surfing (and Sense is streets ahead of touchwiz).
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought on the five who vote never, why on earth do they come on to the mobile phone section?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    5 times since Feb last year! Probably again in the next few months I would imagine :)
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my case roughly every year.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This time I held on to my iPhone 4 for 30 months but I usually replace my phone every one to two years.

If Google stick to their pricing I'm going to get a new Nexus device every year.
  • morskimorski Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Had a Samsung Galaxy Apollo back in Feb 2011 just literally this week bought a Galaxy Ace 2 which is a massive improvement on the old phone. I'm not tied into any contracts anymore just a rolling 30 day contract now so always buy my own when the phone I'm using starts to look and feel tired.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use my phone much, however it has to be waterproof and drop proof, I only change my phone when it wears out. My current Phone is about 3 years old, the previous phone I owned it for over 5 years.

Sadly there are not that many phones on the market that meets my simple requirements so my choice is very limited.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    None of the above: Every four or five years.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 phones since September 2010. Mind you I have taken a Nexus pledge so it will be some months now.

Well done stiggles.

And shame on those of you who keep your phones longer than 2 years.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

And shame on those of you who keep your phones longer than 2 years.

What is so wrong about keeping a phone longer than 2 years?:confused:

All I need is a phone to make phone calls and perhaps a few texts, why bother with upgrades?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Depends. I've had my smartphone (Galaxy Ace 2) since last December and before that I had a crappy basic phone I bought in 2009 and couldn't wait to get rid of. I guess I'll change phones again in another year or two but who knows?